2nd semester preeclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
rachelc

Re : 2nd semester preeclampsia

Postby rachelc » Sun Feb 04, 638616 9:14 am

I'm glad that you are still pregnant! I was diagnosed with pe at 22 weeks in my third pregnancy. I eventually delivered a very healthy 33 weeker who is now a very healthy and happy two year old. I hope that you can continue this pregnancy for weeks to come.

glimmer

Postby glimmer » Sun Feb 04, 638616 3:32 am

Thanks for your messaged. Today my protein was 375mg, so I am diagnosed with 2nd trimester pre-eclampsia. It is mild so far and I hope it will stay mild as long a possible. Thank you very much for your posts and reassurance.

saving_grace

Postby saving_grace » Sun Nov 26, 638615 11:15 am

I'm just now reading this post. I'm so glad you are hanging in there and have made through another week! I too developed pre-e earlier in my second pregnancy than my first but I was 30 weeks when my BP started misbehaving the second time. I'll be thinking of you and praying that you and your baby will remain stable for many more weeks to come. Keep us posted!

glimmer

Postby glimmer » Sun Nov 26, 638615 8:35 am

Dear Rachael and Patty,
I read with interest your signatures and am "surprised" and very sorry that you had pre-eclampsia in every pregnancy. I was told that there is a 17% chance of re-occurrence in a subsequent pregnancy and since I developed it so late (at 42 weeks), that my chances of not getting it were quite high, albeit having had it severely.
It's also good to see that you decided to have multiple children and that the pre-eclampsia didn't stop you from this. I am so upset right now that I think, "if I will deliver a healthy child, I will not tempt fate again" IYSWIM. Thanks for your concern.

glimmer

Postby glimmer » Sun Nov 26, 638615 8:22 am

Thank you so much for your posts - they were very helpful.
The last week was a bit of a roller coaster:
Although the high BP was confirmed by my GP, it was below the critical value 120/75 and 130/80 at the OBGYN. But the 24h-protein showed 4600 grams which is indicative of kidney failure. "Luckily" the lab results were inconsistent and a repeat showed 287mg which is just below the 300mg critical value. They will keep a close watch on me (weekly labs), but I am very pleased overall. At least I have gained another week and am now 22 weeks. I carried my son to 42 weeks, so never thought about the issues related to pre-term babies. I guess I will be counting down (or up) the weeks from now.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Thu Jul 22, 638613 11:54 am

How are you doing Judith. I wanted to check on you and see how your appointment went.

patty

Postby patty » Fri Jun 18, 638613 12:13 pm

((hugs)) I am sorry you are having problems so early as well and hope you can get several more weeks or months before you have to deliver. I think it does depend on the dr. as far as hospital bedrest, mine were big proponents and it seemed to buy me a little bit more time. At the least I would expect to be on bedrest at home if not in the hospital so it might be a good idea to try and go ahead and line up childcare. Keep us posted.

glimmer

Postby glimmer » Fri Jun 18, 638613 3:52 am

Dear Julie,
congratulations to your current pregnancy and so sorry to read about your loss.

glimmer

Postby glimmer » Fri Jun 18, 638613 3:48 am

Dear Julie,

thanks very much for the quick reply.

I didn't have hypertension prior to pregnancy, so I think, I will
most likely be diagnosed with 2nd semester preeclampsia (at least hypertension). And I had hoped for a homebirth this time around after traumatic events related to earlier pregnancies....

Thanks for the list of what to expect/ask for. That's pretty much what I assumed. I am just wondering if I have to line up childcare for the next weeks. Obviously, it much better to have it managed that not knowing about it, but my fears are up, especially since it is so early in my pregnancy.

I also have a lot of adverse reaction to medication, so there is a big chance that I am in for the long-haul... I found very little helpful info on the internet....

Thanks for your contact info. I might take you on it, if I need further support.

julie f

Postby julie f » Fri Jun 18, 638613 3:05 am

Judith,

Hi and welcome to you. I am so sorry to hear that you are having troubles this early on.

Did you have hypertension prior to becoming pregnant, or has the hypertension just started?

As far as what to expect - it will really depend on your doctor and the specifics of your situation. If in your shoes though, this is what I would want: 24 hour urine test to determine just how much protein you're spilling (the dipsticks can be inaccurate depending upon the concentration of your urine), lab work (often referred to as PIH labs, will check your platelets, liver function, etc.), and ultrasound to check on baby's growth and fluid levels. I'd want to be referred to a high-risk OB for consult and a serious discussion on how my pregnancy will be managed. I'd definitely bring someone along with me, you're likely to get a lot of information and it helps to have someone there.

As far as hospitalization goes, it will again depend on your doctor and your situation.

Here is a link to our Signs & Symptoms page: http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp Please keep it handy. Should you notice anything developing or progressing, please don't hesitate to head straight to L&D to be checked out.

Please feel free to email me if there is anything that I can do, julie.feller@preeclampsia.org. And keep us posted after your appt tomorrow.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”