Convinced i'm getting Pre-Eclampsia again!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
saving_grace

Re : Convinced i'm getting Pre-Eclampsia again!

Postby saving_grace » Fri Apr 09, 638613 3:12 am

I'm another one that always had negative labs and only had protein show up at the last minute just before delivery. My BPs went through the roof with my 2nd baby for several weeks before any protein showed up. My BP also did the gradual trend upwards before it was out of control. I think you should listen to your instincts and start taking it easy. Don't be scared to call the doctor or go to the ER if you know something is not right.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Sun Mar 28, 638613 3:18 pm

Blood work can be negative and you can still have preeclampsia - I had severe pre-e twice and always normal labs. It doesn't mean it's a false negative or that you don't have pre-e, it just means that your liver and kidneys are not being affected (yet). This time I even had severe pre-e with protein dips never higher than 1+. If you have any of the symptoms at all, with your history I would call the doctor instead of waiting for your next appointment.

Good luck and keep us posted!

waitinghopefully

Postby waitinghopefully » Sun Mar 28, 638613 10:43 am

klovav

Glad you feel better :) This forum will help keep you sane and often give a lot of perspective as there are so many people so worse off, early onset etc. They are watching me closely the high readings seem to be spikes and it does come down again which i think is what is confusing matters. I think the doctors are waiting to see it consistently high before doing?? something meds probably. I've been promised to see the Actual consultant tomorrow and have another growth scan tomorrow so we shall see. I am undoubtedly anxious but deep down I know there is more going on than pure anxiety. Good luck and stick with that gut instinct it can't do any harm!

waitinghopefully

Postby waitinghopefully » Sun Mar 28, 638613 10:35 am

jokell for some reason our local hospital now only do urine pcr on spot tests, no 24 hour urines. Which is frustrating because I drink a LOT of water through the day and I'm convinced this "spot" test is no more reliable for me than urine dip sticks. I wonder if this is the policy now throughout the uk? Two years ago they did 24 hour urines tests but liked you to be admitted for them, perhaps a costs saving measure to stop doing them?.

The system here is a lot different to the US. Its difficult to insist on a consultant appointment (equivalent to mfm) you really have to push push push and that's not everyones style. Midwives can be excellent and really advocate for their patients (i.e. insist they are seen) or just go through the motions. There is notionally choice in the system but nobody tells you how to do this!

klolav

Postby klolav » Sun Mar 28, 638613 10:33 am

thanks for replies both
JOkell2- sorry i missed a few bits I think. I am also seeing a obstetrician, was every 2 weeks, but at last appointment she made it for 4 weeks, with midwife weekly monitor in-between, which I feel is to long. i've got the protein dipsticks at home which I am doing daily, but not showing anything at moment. If I still feel like this in a few days I think i'll ask for a 24hr test. Last ultrasound was 3 weeks away, and all seemed fine, baby is going to be small but that was the same on last baby, even if he had gone full term (he was 4lb at 34wks, so not bad). My husband keeps saying there must be a 10 minute slot where you haven't got something and 10 minutes later you have!! Maybe 10 mins is pushing it but in principal he has a point, so thanks for the info on that.
Waitinghopefully- seems like we are in very similar places right now! And isn't it horrible!
My husband made me buy an expensive home blood pressure kit and I was getting higher readings than at midwife and to be honest (i've got an obsessive nature!) it was making me worse! In the end ours was so in-accurate I took it back. I'm also monitoring protein and feel it helps. I agree sometimes it does make you feel that at least your trying to keep an eye on yourself, as a lot of people 'fob' you off and think you are a paranoid freak. Even some friends, have best intentions, but tell me i'm fine, it's just anxiety! I'm sure an element of truth to that but a lot to be said for gut instinct too!
Your bp have really crept up, esp 160/95 with swelling and protein, is this not a diagnosis of pre eclampsia?
After reading lots on here today i've read that there is no sure fire blood or urine test for P.E, just checks on Liver, kidney function etc.
Good luck with everything and hope all is ok.

Thank you again both, you have confirmed i'm not a paranoid freak and am right to go with how i'm feeling.

jokell2

Postby jokell2 » Sun Mar 28, 638613 9:30 am

I'm sorry to hear about your past experience with PE. I believe in trusting how you feel. It may not be showing up on tests yet but with the rise in your blood pressure and past, I understand how concerned you must be.

With your history I'm concerned that you're only seeing a midwife. Could you get a consultation with a perinatologist? Have you done a 24 hour urine test yet? The office dip tests are highly inaccurate b/c of the varying concentration. With a 24 hour test you'll have a better idea of if you're approaching PE diagnosis. I was only dipping trace with one of my pregnancies and when I did the 24 hour it came back points away from PE diagnosis which is 300. This was in my second pregnancy and my baby was showing more distress than what the tests were coming back as. I delivered at 36 weeks due to oligo (low fluid level)

When was the last time you had an ultrasound? They can check the cord flow to see if baby is being affected and also do a check on fluid level.

With my first pregnancy the highest my blood pressure got was 130/80 but I was induced the next day due to severe swelling and spilling protein. So it seems that the 140/90 for some is pushing it if you ask me. I think a significant rise in BP should be watched closely.

As for the blood tests from what I've read and seen they can change within hours. So if you start to get anymore symptoms or just don't feel right I would head to L&D to get monitored.

waitinghopefully

Postby waitinghopefully » Sun Mar 28, 638613 9:27 am

I'm in a similar position and also in the UK. I was induced with dd at 35 weeks for pre e last time and my bloods were fine until 48 hours before she was born.

I am now 35 weeks and have been in and out of day assessment unit for the past two weeks. i have been labelled "anxious" and I think they are a bit sick of me but my bp is creeping up from booking 120/70 to 140/80 in the morning going to 155/88 to 160/95 in evenings and I have had some headaches and lots of swelling but never more than 1+ protein.

I bought my own blood pressure cuff and also monitor my protein at home. Some of the doctors and midwifes blame this home monitoring for my high readings and say i am causing the high readings but I feel its whats keep me sane! Others are lovely say I'm doing exactly the right things and am doing really well

A lot of the ladies on here use a good phrase "you need to be the squeaky wheel". If you feel something is off you need to call up and insist to be seen at DAU. So what if they think we're nuts they have haven't been through it! Also once you have taken your lovely healthy baby home you never have to see them again:)

Are you getting regular growth scans etc?

klolav

Convinced i'm getting Pre-Eclampsia again!

Postby klolav » Sun Mar 28, 638613 2:22 am

Hi, just wondered if anyone is convinced they are getting the dreaded again after suffering in a previous pregnancy?
I'm now 35+3 in a second pregnancy. My little boy is a healthy 20 mth old was born at 34+4. I had signs of preeclampsia in my first preg but urine tests came back negative. Even though my gut feeling told me I had it, having never experienced before I believed the test results couldn't be wrong and so that was that. A few weeks later at next midwife app my blood pressure was off the scale, protein was 5+ and severe swelling. I was rushed to hospital, diagnosed with eclampsia, baby was delivered immediately by c-sec and slowly after 3 days on HDU I started to get better. I've been fine up until now.
I've always been convinced I would have it again and even though I know if I do it will be less severe and later in pregnancy I can't shake the feeling.
Because it was missed last time i'm def feeling more anxious and paranoid also.
Until 2 weeks ago my bp has been really low 100/60, so all good, last week had jumped a bit to 120/80 (I know this is still normal), yesterday it was 130/80, so on the up again. My midwives sent me to day assessment because I have also been getting headaches and pain under my ribs (which I had last time). No swelling or protein but feel absolutely rubbish and have a general unwell feeling. At the assessment they took blood tests, which came back neg. Problem is because i've had a false neg result before I almost don't believe it. I'm not sure how much is anxiety and how much is my gut. My head is saying i'm fine all tests are fine, but I still feel awful. My question is, is this normal, did or does anyone else feel like this? I don't want to be a paranoid hypercondriac! Can a blood test be wrong? Also how quickly can this change? For instance we all know preeclampsia can come on pretty quickly and a week is a long time.......but could a couple days make a difference? My next midwife app is now a week away, and that makes me anxious because I really feel this is the start of it. My husband and mum also feel the same, and think I have that 'look' about me before I was diagnosed last time.
Any advice? Thanks so much

Return to “Ask the Experienced”