Smoking Decreases Risk of PE/HELLP

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
laura

Re : Smoking Decreases Risk of PE/HELLP

Postby laura » Sun Dec 27, 638612 10:53 am

Smoking during pregnancy also is implicated in placental abruptions and premature aging of the placenta.

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun Dec 27, 638612 5:58 am

If I remember right, there are a lot of older studies speculating that nitric oxide from smoking may play a role in decreasing PE among smokers. That hypothesis might be totally outdated and replaced by the VEGF stuff, though! However, I've seen other studies (trying to find the references, will post when I find them - my computer is agonizingly slow tonight) that show *increased severe PE* in smokers. I think one researcher's conclusion was something about smoking being protective up to a point, but once PE overwhelms the protective aspect of smoking, PE hits much harder and faster than it may have otherwise. - here it is:
http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewt ... s=,smoking,

I don't have the pubmed link, but from a recent article:
http://www.news-medical.net/news/35569.aspx
Professor Broughton Pipkin led a multicentre cohort study of 1001 white Western European women with moderate to severe pre-eclampsia and their babies. It found that smokers in this group are even more likely to deliver prematurely (before 34 weeks), produce much lower birth weight babies, or have babies with adverse outcomes than women who don't smoke. Smokers were also five times more likely to develop eclampsia.

Of the 1001 women in the study:

34.8 per cent who smoked delivered before 34 weeks — compared with 26.8 per cent of former smokers and 21.3 per cent of non-smokers.
46.1 per cent who smoked had low birth weight babies — compared with 37.5 per cent of former smokers and 27.9 per cent or non-smokers
65.6 per cent who smoked had babies who experienced adverse outcomes — compared with 60 per cent of former smokers and 50.4 per cent of non–smokers.

I think the short answer is that it is uncomfortably true that smoking seems to be protective against PE, but smoking harms the baby and mom in so many other ways that no doctor can recommend it in good conscience.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Dec 27, 638612 4:42 am

There's a lot of discussion of this in the New Yorker article linked in my .sig IIRC, and in the thread where we discuss the article.

From what researchers can tell so far, it's because smoking turns on VEGF and does something to eNOS too. But MFMs are quite certain that it causes significant other problems, so they don't recommend we smoke.

shadow2356

Smoking Decreases Risk of PE/HELLP

Postby shadow2356 » Sat Dec 26, 638612 11:27 pm

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1706 ... t=Abstract

I found this article that says that women who smoke during their pregnancy have an 80% less chance of getting HELLP syndrome than those who do not smoke. The incidence of PE in smokers is also gretly reduced.

Isn't this strange? Why is this?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”