Protein Question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
blythe

Re : Protein Question

Postby blythe » Sat Nov 21, 638612 5:37 am

Amanda - just one more thought. BP usually goes up first, then spilling protein, but sometimes protein goes up first. The "dips" to check for protein are notoriously inaccurate around here. If you're well-hydrated, the dips can especially be off. You are probably fine (this from absolutely-not-a-doc me ;-D) but you might ask for a 24-hour urine collection to check your protein for sure. They're no fun (a good tip is to keep a bucket of ice in the bathroom so you don't have to keep the pee in the refridgerator) but it's a cheap test and is much more accurate. You can ask your consultant if they'd consider it...

If you're interested, here's a link to the UK PRECOG http://www.apec.org.uk/precog.htm - "The Pre-eclampsia Community Guideline - a guideline for the screening and early detection of pre-eclampsia".

Good luck and hang in there!

amanda77

Postby amanda77 » Sat Nov 21, 638612 12:29 am

Thank you for your advice. My swelling appears to have gone down today and not sure if thats to do with me drinking loads of water yesterday. I haven't even had a trace of protein so far and my Doctors are checking my BP and urine weekly just to be sure this time.
If I start to get a headache or vision problems I'll head right to the hospital. I know how frightening this disease can be and how quickly it can all go wrong.

It's great to be able to get advice from other ladies out there who have been through the same.

Amanda x

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Wed Nov 11, 638612 4:11 am

Hi Amanda - I had severe pre-e without significant protein. My last 24hr was only 339mg and I always dipped trace in the hospital, but my BPs were diagnostic for severe pre-e, plus I had bad headaches and visual disturbances.

Good luck and please keep us posted!

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Nov 10, 638612 8:01 am

Hi Amanda! Swelling in your hands and face isn't diagnostic, but it is a little worrying to not-a-doc me. Our experts tell us that, especially when women have a very low baseline, that a jump of 30/15 is concerning. However, once your bp starts to creep upward, it's a good idea to keep an eye on it so you can catch it when it starts to go over 140/90. In general, bp rises first, then you spill protein - but that's not a rule, just a general trend for most women.

You were really smart to go in last time when you started having pain under your right ribs. Also keep an eye out for visual changes like flashes of light or blurry vision, and headache that doesn't go away with Tylenol / Paracetomol. In rare cases, you can be very sick without high bp or protein.

We absolutely understand being nervous this time around! I hope your slight bp jump and swelling is nothing and you get that vbac. It never hurts to check with your consultant whenever you're at all concerned, though!

Let us know if you have any other questions!

waitinghopefully

Postby waitinghopefully » Tue Nov 10, 638612 6:04 am

I think you can self refer yourself to your local day assessment unit? Juts ring up and say your midwife is not available :)

amanda77

Postby amanda77 » Tue Nov 10, 638612 3:03 am

Sorry, also wanted to ask if you always get protein with PE?

amanda77

Protein Question

Postby amanda77 » Tue Nov 10, 638612 3:00 am

Hello. I'm new to the forum. I experience severe PE in my first pregnancy at 37 weeks. I hadn't seen a midwife since 28 weeks as she was too busy and kept rearranging appointments. At 37 weeks I woke up with pain under my right ribs and called delivery who told me to come in right away. My BP was very high and I had a +++ protein. They tried to induce but BP went sky high and baby showed distress so ended up with a CS. He was only 4lbs 11oz so very small for gestation but was 50cm in length and needed no help breathing etc and we were both home within 4 days.

I'm now 37+4 and so far my bp has gone up a little from 115/75 to 130/80. It's been around 130/80 for my last few appointments. I have seen my consultant twice and also had growth scans at 30 and 34 weeks to check baby is developing ok (and so far he/she is a good sized baby). So far my protein dip has been negative but I have noticed some swelling in my feet, hands and face. I guess my question is should I be concerned and ask to see my consultant about the swelling? Is my BP classed as a significant jump? I'm pretty sceptical about midwife's after my previous pregnancy and don't really trust her. I'm hoping to have a vbac this time round but it's all dependent on whether or not PE shows up again.

Gosh, I can't belive how much I've written. I guess I'm just worried about the outcome and what can happen after last time.

Thanks in advance

Amanda

Return to “Ask the Experienced”