Does Pre-ecclampsia make you tired?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
sulau

Re : Does Pre-ecclampsia make you tired?

Postby sulau » Thu May 21, 2009 06:00 am

My first pregnancy was PE free, I was very energetic in the last trimester (29 years old); I had PE in the second pregnancy - extremely tired at the end of work day, difficulties breathing (out of breath) in the evenings (33 years old). I definitely think that PE makes our bodies physically tired. I have more energy now that I am no longer pregnant, even though looking after 2 kids at home.

dodson_clan_5

Postby dodson_clan_5 » Thu May 14, 2009 05:05 pm

I am always tired when I am pregnant, if you have headaches and are tired, I would be more concerned! If you have ANY doubt in your mind, always remember, we get that motherly instict even while our little one is in the womb! Trust yourself! Praying for you!

soup

Postby soup » Thu May 14, 2009 11:38 am

I'm blaming the aldomet here. I was never this tired with my other kids and I'm just exhausted with this one. It drives me crazy because normally at this point in pregnancy I'm full of energy and ready to get things done. Now I'm at the point I need to get things done but don't have the energy to.

saving_grace

Postby saving_grace » Thu May 14, 2009 10:25 am

My last pregnancy I felt awesome and energetic as soon as the second trimester hit. I was not on any meds though. I was outside washing my car and running around getting things done. The day I had my BP crisis at 32 weeks, I had just come back from a long walk downtown with my DH. My only symptom was dizziness but I knew right away I should have my BP checked by the nurse at work. I got sent to L&D for an overnight observation and my BPs didn't go back down after that day (unless I was laying down) so I got put on bedrest. I felt totally fine most of the time which made me want to get up and go when I really wasn't supposed to. On occasion when my BPs were really bad or I had been sitting up too long, I would feel lousy but not necessarily tired. I'm hoping to get that burst of energy again with this pregnancy. I've been sooo sick this time around and can't wait for second trimester.

tawnialine

Postby tawnialine » Thu May 14, 2009 00:47 am

well... i'm not sure as I never actually developed pre-e with my first pregnancy.. but.. i do notice a huge difference in energy levels between that pregnancy and this pregnancy.. and the only major differences were a bigger jump in bp with the 2nd pregnancy and the addition of lebetalol.. so.. it could be the medications.. and it could simply be a combination of everything.. pregnancy in general can zap you- and excess sleep can make anyone pregnant or not groggy, grouchy, and irritable... hope your energy levels pick up soon and you're feeling yourself again :) good luck :)

dolphinjen

Postby dolphinjen » Thu May 07, 2009 00:09 am

I know, some of those old-line medications that they only dig out of the back of the medical chest and use for pregnancy are pretty full of side effects. Aldomet makes me so tired when I first start taking it, and while it improves, I never feel as good as when I'm taking a newer, cleaner drug with few side effects.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Wed May 06, 2009 06:26 pm

When I had PE with my son it made me feel tired and weak, but I didn't get as sick the second time around and I felt fine.

I've also felt unusually fatigued due to hypothyroidism, and due to being on Aldomet for high BP after my daughter was born. It gave me a dopey/groggy/head-stuffed-with-cotton-wool feeling.

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Wed May 06, 2009 04:56 pm

I think I can answer the question. My Pre-e pregnancy, I was exhausted. My non-Pre-e pregnancy, I was expecting to be exhausted the whole time, so when the second trimester came around, and my energy level picked up, I was like, whoa, I wasn't expecting this! There was a definite difference in energy levels between the two.

dolphinjen

Postby dolphinjen » Wed May 06, 2009 04:10 pm

Nope, definitely not too low. They (the peri and cardiologist) are still happy if the numbers stay at 150's over 90s-low 100s and below. Werid, I know. It goes back to that my thermostat is set really, really high in terms of BP and my body doesn't freak out to the numbers others would. Anyway, who knows. I guess it's not that big a deal since I'm in the third trimester, therefore, it's definitely a time-constrained issue. I am curious though to hear everyone's experience with the fatigue. It just seems so weird that it's so pronounced.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Wed May 06, 2009 11:30 am

Kind of a weird question but...

Is your BP too low? When mine gets to like 100/60 (which not normally too low for the general population) I get really tired.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”