Doppler Scan

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
lizzie

Re : Doppler Scan

Postby lizzie » Sun Mar 25, 638610 7:31 am

Not so much a good consultant (this IS England we are talking about) as both of us knew well when to stamp our feet and holler! It wasn't fun though. This time, the hospital (a different one) seems pretty attentive, which makes a big difference. Second time with me, I desperately needed to know exactly what was what, and that the baby was growing well. For the benefit of those treading the same path, number two was much better, got further, good sized baby, quicker recovery from CS. Almost dream after nightmare, if you don't count eight months of worry.

Replies were reassuring - sort of. My daughter is doing her best to be optimistic, and I absolutely don't want to change that. Me, I'm holding my breath! She does keep me informed, and wants my support, but it is a bit of a minefield. I tell her cheerfully that the odds are good, and cross my fingers.

blythe

Postby blythe » Sat Mar 24, 638610 9:53 pm

Welcome, Lizzie! My guess was the same as Caryn's - that they were probably talking about notching, which can be normal. I hope that was all! Let us know if you find out different from the next scan.

I hope your daughter makes it to 35 weeks again, that's fabulous! I take it she has a good consultant? Just so you have it for reference, here is a link to the UK PRECOG http://www.apec.org.uk/precog.htm (Pre-eclampsia Community Guideline). If she wants, your daughter can ask your consultants how closely they follow the recommendations, and what they will do differently, etc.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Mar 24, 638610 4:05 pm

Welcome to the forums, Lizzie. These subsequent pregnancies are nailbiters even if you're just watching. :-)

I'm going out on a limb to guess that it was uterine artery notching, which can be trivial. She can have a normal pregnancy even with notching. Given her history and her family history, it's just another thing to keep an eye on.

As I understand it, notching is when after each beat of the maternal heart, the bloodflow drops below the average flow when the heart isn't beating, and then pops back up. Here's a link to some pretty ultrasounds where you can see what that looks like.

This means that the placenta isn't as deeply implanted, because the flow isn't as steady -- it pulses, and not just *up*, with each maternal heartbeat, but *down* a little bit, which is the notch. And it's because the spiral arteries aren't as "remodeled", as they put it -- the placental cells haven't replaced as much of the maternal cells lining the arteries, so the placenta's shallowly implanted.

They've looked at this notching when it happens in pregnancies following preeclamptic pregnancies, and it's only thought to be *an* indicator, and not a terribly useful one, because many women with notching go on to have perfectly normal pregnancies and even, in subsequent pregnancies, perfectly normally sized babies.

waitinghopefully

Postby waitinghopefully » Sat Mar 24, 638610 1:00 pm

Its a pretty standard test for people with a history of Pre e or IUGR. Basically they look at the uterine arteries and look for notching and resistance to blood flow. Some people have notching some people have high resistance and it can be an indication that pre e or IUGR is more likely but it can also mean absolutely nothing. The normal action is repeat growth scans starting 4 weekly then 2 weekly etc as pregnancy progresses. i also got put on low dose aspirin until 34 weeks.

Essentially it sounds like your daughter is getting good care and maybe its best to "leave her to it" unless she mentions it. Mind you my mum is a nurse and just picks up my notes and helps herself regularly :)

lizzie

Postby lizzie » Sat Mar 24, 638610 7:43 am

Sorry, realise that is a bit obscure. Thing is, I am more afraid of pre-e now than when I had it, and do not want to pass on my fears to my daughter. Both of us got early onset mild pre-e, around 25 weeks, but daughter had very healthy baby at 35 weeks. Having grown up with a sister disabled by IUGR, it is difficult for her to be sanguine. They didn't have doppler in my day, and I don't know if this finding is significant or trivial. She knows only too well what to watch for, and will be scanned again in four weeks, but I don't like the sound of it.

lizzie

Doppler Scan

Postby lizzie » Sat Mar 24, 638610 4:02 am

Panicking granny here. My daughter had her 20 week scan yesterday(2nd pregnancy, family history of pre-e) and was told there was some (minor?) problem with blood flow to the placenta. She is coping with her anxieties pretty well at the moment, so don't want to enquire to closely just yet. Should I?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”