Is it safe to exercise with high blood pressure?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alessels

Re : Is it safe to exercise with high blood pressure?

Postby alessels » Sun Apr 19, 2009 08:57 pm

I will definitely ask my Doctor.
I am just determined to do whatever to get the numbers down like they used to be.
It is so weird, I check my BP @ home and sometimes the diastolics are all over 100 for a couple of hours, then they go down to 90 or high 80's, sometimes even 70's, then they go back up.
The weirdest thing.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sun Apr 19, 2009 08:03 pm

I had high blood pressure postpartum. Once it was controlled on meds I was ok'd to excercise. My doc told me to take it easy at first and not go over a certain heartrate.

You should talk to your doctor to make sure you don't have any restrictions.

blythe

Postby blythe » Sun Apr 19, 2009 07:45 pm

Hmmm, I don't know for sure but I would think it's okay to exercise post-partum (you're more than 6 weeks pp right?). I'd definitely ask your doctor. Also, there's some good research that chronic hypertension in some people responds well to a low salt diet (google the DASH diet).

alessels

Postby alessels » Sun Apr 19, 2009 07:08 pm

I have an appointment to see my Doctor on Wednesday.

I have a question-
I was reading that some of the natural ways to lower your blood pressure are to lose weight (working on loosing the pg lbs) and to exercise.

Thanks guys,

Adri

Return to “Ask the Experienced”