Baby is here, blood pressure still elevated...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
carjashaner

Re : Baby is here, blood pressure still elevated...

Postby carjashaner » Wed Apr 15, 2009 07:59 pm

I don't want to scare you here, but please keep a close eye on your pressures and call the doctor immediately if your symptoms start to occur again. My PE/HELLP happened post partum, 2 weeks after delivery. I spent almost 2 weeks in High Risk Maternity with unreal BP readings. I feel like I was robbed of some very wonderful moments with my new daughter due to being in the hospital. It developed rapidly and progressed with a pace that I never knew existed! If you feel off at all, call the doctor. Without my docs correct diagnosis, I wouldn't be here to write this to you. I was scared out of my mind and still am.

My BP's never returned to normal, at least not yet, and my daughter Hannah will be one year old on May 27th. It has been a challenge, but I made it through, just like others here have. But you have to be on top of things at all times. It is a huge undertaking, to take care of a newborn and be sick.

Congratulations on your new baby. Keep your chin up and take care of yourself. Call the doc if you have to, that's why he went to med school right?!?!? What is your son's name?

alessels

Postby alessels » Wed Apr 15, 2009 07:37 pm

Thank you everyone for your reply.
You guys are always such a big help and I know I can always get the answers I need here.

I did hear that women that have Preeclampsia have a tendency to have High Blood Pressure and high Cholesterol later in life, so something else to keep watching for.

No more kids for me, I am all done now, even I wanted another others I don’t know if I would, this is scary stuff.
The scariest part being that PE can get worse after delivery, WOW!!!! I can’t imagine having a newborn to take care and being on bed rest.
Like I said when I delivered my daughter blood pressure went down to my normal readings of 110/65 right after delivery, I was a little scared to stil see my numbers this time still on the high side.
My Doctor did tell me to go off the medication, I am just wishing and praying that it will go back to normal.

debbie78

Postby debbie78 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 06:52 pm

Congratulations on your healthy baby boy!

For me, after Sophie was born, my pressures were running 160s/100s for two weeks after she was born. My normal BP is about 110/60-120/70. My providers actually put me on bp meds to bring the pressures down because they were so high.
Like everyone else said, keep a close eye on it.
Congratulations on your baby!

brianned5

Postby brianned5 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 04:25 pm

Congratulations! I always had really good blood pressure until I developed preeclampsia/hellp with my daughter. My blood pressure has not gone down since, and I am 13w5d pregnant. It would run about 117/72, now it's running very high. I was told sometimes it goes down immediately after delivery, sometimes within days, weeks, months, somtimes a year, and for very few the blood pressure won't go back to normal. I'm afraid I'm in the last category.

julie f

Postby julie f » Wed Apr 15, 2009 04:24 pm

Adri,
Congratulations!

Delivery of the placenta is the start of the cure for preeclampsia. Sometimes, it takes a little while for everything to go back to normal. It could be that it will take time for your blood pressure to return to it's normal, delivery was just yesterday so you're body is still in shock! In some cases, pregnancy unmasks chronic hypertension, often thought if bp remains high after 6 weeks postpartum.

You are right to be concerned though. Please watch yourself closely though, sometimes preeclampsia will get worse after delivery, before it starts to get better. You need to watch out for the same symptoms you watched for prior to delivery - severe headache, visual changes, etc. Please let your doctor know immediately should you start to feel off.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Wed Apr 15, 2009 04:24 pm

Congratulations on your little one! It *can* take a while for BP to go down (along with other symptoms) but that said keeping an eye on your pressures is not a bad idea - dont hesitate to call if you feel off or anything of the sort...

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Wed Apr 15, 2009 04:21 pm

Congrats on the baby and glad they went ahead and delivered! I think it's pretty normal for BP to stay up for a bit. It can take up to 6 weeks to resolve itself. Are you still on BP meds? I know it took a little while for mine to get back to normal.

I am sure others will chime in shortly!

alessels

Postby alessels » Wed Apr 15, 2009 04:17 pm

BTW- He is very healthy, his weigh was 7 Lbs 2 OZ, born @ 37 weeks.

alessels

Baby is here, blood pressure still elevated...

Postby alessels » Wed Apr 15, 2009 04:15 pm

Hi Guys, just wanted to announce that I gave birth to a healthy Baby Boy on April 14th .
On Sunday night I went to the hospital b/c of a massive headache, blood pressure readings were all really high, the highest being 169/120 and the lowest 149/101 and these readings were while I was on the blood pressure medication.
They sent a urine sample to the lab, I had +2 protein, blood work came back elevated.
Finally then my Doctor said that she would induce me the next day.

I am so glad that this is all over with.
Disappointed that this Doctor didn’t do anything sooner before things progressed specially with since this is not the first time around.

I am worried a little bit though.
Blood pressure is still fairly high for me.
120/90, I normally have fairly low blood pressure.
When I delivered my daughter, the blood pressure went down immediately, but not this time around.
Should I be concerned?
Anyone that experienced the same thing?

Adri

Return to “Ask the Experienced”