Baby is here, blood pressure still elevated...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
alessels

Re : Baby is here, blood pressure still elevated...

Postby alessels » Sun Apr 19, 2009 07:07 pm

I have an appointment to see my Doctor on Wednesday.

I have a question-
I was reading that some of the natural ways to lower your blood pressure are to lose weight (working on loosing the pg lbs) and to exercise.
Is it safe to exercise with high blood pressure?

I am going to post this on another thread so everyone can see it as well.

Thanks guys,

Adri

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Apr 18, 2009 06:27 pm

Time. :-)

Delivery starts the recovery process in motion. Sometimes labor is a trigger for PE, probably because the chemicals that the placenta produces in response to oxygen shortage are produced in significant quantity then.

For some of us, labor tips us over the PE threshold, then the placenta's delivered, *then* the chemical proteins do the damage to the bloodstream and it takes a while for your body to get all the junk out of your system. One known placental product, soluble FLT, is an antagonist of VEGF. Usually VEGF keeps your blood vessels functioning normally, but when it's bound to soluble FLT it doesn't work any more. Until you've produced enough VEGF to get all the FLT out of your system, your vessels sort of accumulate damage because normal repairs aren't happening.

So, time. :-) I hope you'll see a trend down soon; it's no fun to be sick with a newborn.

alessels

Postby alessels » Sat Apr 18, 2009 04:17 pm

Well, I went in and they said that I should make an appointment to see my Doctor, but basically said everything that you guys said, keep watching it and that the next 6 weeks are the critical point.

Question- If the cure for PE is delivery, what is the cure for postpartum PE?

cheleandcallidora

Postby cheleandcallidora » Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:38 am

I also had high BP long after delivery. It took about a year before my BP slowly started lowering. It was 195/117 at delivery and after it stayed at 158/86 for a year. It did eventually return to normal though. It actually got lower than before I got pregnant.

How did everything go yesterday? I hope you are doing alright. Please keep us posted!

alessels

Postby alessels » Fri Apr 17, 2009 07:41 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your postings.
My bp is still elevated, headaches are getting worse and I still have puffy feet.

I am going in to the emerge to make sure everything is ok.

Thanks for everything.

Adri

carjashaner

Postby carjashaner » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:42 am

I had teh severe PP headache that you hear all talk about and I felt like my heart was racing. That is what prompted me to call the doctor. That and the fact that my feet were still swollen so badly even though they told me the swelling would get better.

Hannah is not my first. My first daughter was Erica, 20 years ago!! I had no PE or HELLP with her and no problems with delivery (natural with no meds by the way!! ).

They have adjusted my BP meds a few times since delivery. I am now on Toprol 50mg 1x day and Lysinopril 10mg 1 x day. They seem to be holding steady right now, though still a little on the high side. It takes a while to find the right combination of meds to get them straight.

So glad to hear that you are enjoying little Ayden. Congratulations!! Keep us posted.

daniellapug

Postby daniellapug » Fri Apr 17, 2009 09:30 am

This happened to me, though I never had bad blood levels or protein.
It took me 16 weeks of being on meds postpartum for my levels to get to normal, then one day they just did! I had a home monitor just for piece of mind. GOod luck, and enjoy your new baby!

mom29

Postby mom29 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:25 am

Thirding Carole and Caryn! Keep an eye on your bp and don't hesitate to call your OB or go to the ER.
My husband had to keep calling my OB for several days before he finally told my husband to take me to the ER. I was admitted for four days until my by wasn't quite so high. In the next pregnancy my bp again went up post delivery and my meds. were tripled.

Enjoy your new little bundle! They grow up so fast! :o)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:31 pm

Welcome Earthside, Ayden!

Sometimes there's enough damage to the endothelium (the cells lining the blood vessel walls) that it can take a while for your body to repair it, and pressures stay up for a while postpartum. It's also the case that some women don't see their pressures drop for months if at all; those women are considered unmasked chronic hypertensives, just as Julie says.

It sounds like they started the induction just in the nick of time. I'm seconding Carole; you're still at risk for seizures etc. for the first six weeks postpartum while your body clears the junk from the placenta out of your system, so don't hesitate to let them know if you're seeing sparklies or if the headache comes back. Postpartum PE is easier to treat because there are no concerns about placental perfusion for the baby.

Let us know how you do. :-)

alessels

Postby alessels » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:58 pm

Hi Carole,

WOW!!! Your story is very scary, I can’t even imagine what you went through.
What triggered you to call your Doctor and go in to have your symptoms checked out?
Is Hannah your first? If not, did you have PE with other pregnancies?

My little boy’s name is Ayden, thx for asking, he is a bundle of joy.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”