Blood Pressure Drop during C-Section

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
smileegirl

Re : Blood Pressure Drop during C-Section

Postby smileegirl » Sun Apr 19, 2009 07:42 pm

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for all of your responses. It's interesting that this happened to many of you. I'm going to speak to the Doctor at my next appointment and will update you on her explanation.

Amber - Good luck with the c-section tomorrow! I'm sure you're so excited to meet your baby!

mnmom
Forum Moderator

Postby mnmom » Thu Apr 16, 2009 06:44 pm

This happened to me also, and they needed to pump fluids and shoot something into my iv; likely ephedrine, but not sure as I was pretty woozy. Mine actually stayed very low for a few days, then went back to pre pregnancy of about 100/60, where it has stayed.(No meds)

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:17 am

Mine went down during my section and then stayed down for a while before they started to go back up (like after a couple of days). Like you mine also went down kind of suddenly and like everyone else they said it was because of the epidural and some other med (can't remember the name) that made me feel like I was in another room - actually as I remember it was the best I had felt in a while - LOL.

Glad you are doing well - hope that helps.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:41 am

Yes I have not read my records yet but I remember asking the antestheseologist why he just loaded me up with ephedrine cuz I FELT IT when he did it, he said cuz your bp got low LOL. I was like oh okay.

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Thu Apr 16, 2009 09:34 am

I didn't have a c-section, but my BP dropped when they gave me the epidural. My OB thought that might happen and I skipped my BP meds the day of induction. I got really light headed and dizzy feeling...

I am sure you can get some answers from your doctor, but it sounds like it's pretty common.

Glad you and the baby are ok :)

ambersjourney

Postby ambersjourney » Thu Apr 16, 2009 00:16 am

This is such a great topic! I had the same drop with my second c section and am about to have another on Monday! (woo-hoo). I had pih. My bp also dropped to about 80/30. They did not act concerned though. It rebounded some. I did not need to continue with ANY bp meds pp. I did not think to ask if I needed to skip my bp meds the morning of surgery. I will be calling my doc's office in the morning.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:21 pm

Hi Mardi, and welcome.

Usually the bp drop is partly intentional -- they can drop bp with epidural and spinal anasthesia, and for PE patients with really high pressures to lower them somewhat is good -- and sometimes, if it goes too far down, it's a surprise.

There are a couple of things operating there. One is: when they get the placenta out sometimes there's a postpartum hemorrhage, and because you're losing blood, pressure drops more quickly than they expect.

Another: Did your pressures rebound upwards postpartum, or did they resolve completely on delivery? The placenta is what's keeping bp so high, and for some women, removing the placenta means an *instant* drop in bp. Spinal anaesthesia set for your initial pressures then has to be adjusted quickly...

Let us know what they say at the appointment; I'm sure since they'll have your records they'll have more to say than I do!

char069

Postby char069 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 06:54 pm

Hey, smileegirl, just to answer your question. I too suffered from hypertension before pregnancy, my bp was usually 165/140, but when i got pre-eclampsia it raised even higher! I had to have a c-section at 26 weeks, the procedure went fine until the baby was delivered and my bp crashed really low. i cant answer your question as to why this happened, as at the time i was so unwell the docs were considering sending me to intensive care! the whole situation was a bit of a blur for me after the birth as the baby was in ITU, but i hope you find out the reason why this happened!

brianned5

Postby brianned5 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 04:29 pm

Congratulations! I was under general anesthesia and my husband wasn't allowed in the room with me, so I honestly don't know if this happened to me or not. My blood pressures were 210/165 prior to the c-section and are still quite high to this day (9 months later) Maybe you could even put a call in to your doctor and have him call you back?

smileegirl

Blood Pressure Drop during C-Section

Postby smileegirl » Wed Apr 15, 2009 04:00 pm

Hi all! Thanks so much for all of your posts - they really helped me to better understand the condition. I had chronic hypertension before pregnancy and was diagnosed with preeclampsia (I'm guessing superimposed preeclampsia) in week 32 and was instructed to go on bed rest. Fortunately that allowed me to get to week 36 before I needed to deliver my perfect little baby.

Question for all of you - I was first induced with pitocin and given magnesium sulfate because my blood pressure was 170/120. However, after not progressing sufficiently, I went in for a c-section. Did anyone else experience a major drop in blood pressure during a c-section? I haven't had a chance to speak to my Doctor about it yet (waiting for my next appointment), but my husband was in the operating room and said it got really scary at the end of the procedure. He said my blood pressure dropped to 80/25 and the doctors and anestesiologists were concerned. After pumping me with extra fluids, they were able to bring it back to a normal level. I'm just curious why this happened and was wondering if anyone else experienced it.

Best of luck to all of you and I wish you all safe and healthy deliveries!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”