how long from diagnosis to delivery? and other ?'s

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
blythe

Re : how long from diagnosis to delivery? and other ?'s

Postby blythe » Wed Apr 15, 2009 09:51 am

Summer's right, individual women around here *seem* to do good on bedrest if they're chronics... but the research totally doesn't back it up. If your doctor tells you to try it, go for it, but if they're not suggesting it, I wouldn't worry about trying.

I'm so glad to hear you've had the steroid shots! I'd also ask your doc about kick counts - just something so you can have some warning if baby starts to be affected in between your appointments.

Hang in there!

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 09:19 am

Is there anyway you can put yourself on bedrest? It bought me many extra weeks! I think it works better for us chronics, so it probably wouldn't buy you as many as it bought me, but it might buy you a few days???? I know in your boat I would do that if possible! GOod luck ! I hope you make it til babies lungs are mature!

enlarsh

Postby enlarsh » Wed Apr 15, 2009 00:53 am

It sounds like your dr gave you a good list for when to call. I was borderline PE beginning at about 32 weeks with high bp. Once it officially showed up in my labs at 36 wks, 5 days my dr went ahead with the c/s.

mrsmatt0511

Postby mrsmatt0511 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks, Heather. I forgot to mention that I did get the steroid shots for the baby's lungs, so thankfully if we have to go down that path at least we have the shots on board. I was hospitalized last week with a killer headache and nausea and clonus, so they did the steroid shots then. Our son never had them, though he did fine.

I am still on a once/weekly NST schedule, persumably because Baby Girl has looked so incredibly good this pregnancy. I'm being followed by a MFM,too, so at least I feel comfortable with my doctors. (I felt very brushed off with my son! :/) I'll ask about 2x/week NST.

I forgot to ask yesterday about my kidney and liver panels...she didn't mention them, only told me what my protein was.

Hoping for several more weeks but planning for a preemie - that's a good way of putting it!

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Apr 14, 2009 09:55 am

Sorry to hear you're probably going down the PE road again! What has your bloodwork (for liver and renal functioning) looked like? Are you still on a once-a week NST schedule? It seems like some women are going in 2x a week, but each doctor and mom is different. Are you doing your kick counts? The other thing I would ask is if your doc is planning to do steroid injections to help mature the baby's lungs.

As I think you know, average time from diagnosis to delivery is 2 weeks - but that average takes in a wide range. In your shoes I'd be hoping for those few more weeks but planning for another preemie. Good luck and hang in there!

mrsmatt0511

how long from diagnosis to delivery? and other ?'s

Postby mrsmatt0511 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 09:41 am

so, I dealt with severe pre-e with my son, and am 33 weeks pregnant now. Yesterday at my OB appt. my BP was up, I had gained NINE pounds in one week, and my 24-hour urine was at 1,000 mg. We've been down this road before!:(

I'm supposed to call if:
*My BP reaches 135/80ish (my baseline is 100/50)
*My protein reaches a 2+ (the OB sent me home with dip sticks...not as accurate as the 24-hour, but gives a general idea)
*I gain more than 2 pounds/day on my home scale
*i have any of the pre-e warning signs: headache, visual disturbances, nausea, upper right gastric pain.

So...I'm getting worried about the baby. she really needs another week or 2. How long from diagnosis to delivery was your experience? I think with my son it was about 2-3 weeks.

And, does it sound like we're doing all the monitoring we should be? I've had weekly NST's,and thankfully the baby looks GREAT and is growing WELL - she's in the 90th percentile! :)

just getting worried for me and the baby.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”