Cerebral edema w/low protein & normal labs?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
karoliina

Re : Cerebral edema w/low protein & normal labs?

Postby karoliina » Mon Apr 13, 2009 03:38 pm

Alison,

In case you don't have a thread about this in the Pregnant Again section (I've yet to to go read there), I just wanted to say that I'm so very happy your dr is taking you seriously and has a really good plan for you, yay!

Keep us posted,

Karoliina

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Apr 13, 2009 01:24 pm

Oh good. I thought you had but wanted to make sure. I was just telling my mom the other day that it's sad that my perspective has changed so much since having PE and being on the forums. I'd have never thought I'd be telling people "oh, over 32 weeks - that's such a good place to be" instead of what "normal" people think & say "OMG 8 weeks early!".

Hope the CT went well today.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:26 am

Yes, Trish, I got the steroid shots a little over 2 weeks ago, so I feel comfortable if we have to deliver soon. I'll be 32 weeks on Wednesday, but I ovulated super early so I'm probably more like 33 weeks. I would of course have loved to make it to term, but I don't think that's in the cards!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Mon Apr 13, 2009 09:10 am

Glad to hear you have a plan & that your OB is taking it seriously. I think the CT scan is a good way to check for swelling - see what's going on up there. And good to have an u/s tomorrow to check on baby. Sorry, I forget, but have they done steriod shots?

Keep on hangin' in there!!

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Mon Apr 13, 2009 02:19 am

Thanks for the responses everyone!

My OB came in with a plan, which I am so relieved about. She put me on a low dose mag drip and is ordering a head CT scan for tomorrow. I will have an ultrasound on Tuesday to check Nugget's growth, and if all that is normal, I will just stay here on mag until delivery, which may be if/when my BP starts to become uncontrollable and/or my protein gets crazy. The CT scan will tell us a lot, and I'm nervous about it because I don't know what to expect, but I am SO reassured that my doc is taking this seriously and trying to figure out what's going on!

I will update again as I know more! Thanks again, this forum is priceless!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Apr 13, 2009 00:52 am

Allison, *the* headache probably scares the docs more than proteinuria. I had really high protein but no headache and we delivered for fetal indicators; other posters have had the headache and brisk reflexes and delivery then is often for maternal indicators.

Labs are only one of the markers for severe PE -- another is the headache. I'd definitely discuss it with the docs.

Please keep us posted as you're able.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Mon Apr 13, 2009 00:05 am

I did with Cate and Sara. With Cate this time, my peri said CNS involvement was more indicative of preeclampsia along with the high bp than the protein. I "think" I have seen several articles saying that. I think Caryn just posted one not too long ago. Anyway, I had a lot of CNS involvement this time and my protein a week before I delivered was 237 on a 24 hour urine. I had had up to 2+ on the dip several times and in the week before I delivered. My bps before delivery had just spiked that week to 150-160s/104-110. Then after delivery it went up to 160/120s. My bp is back to normal now.

Oh and my labs, the creatine level was high and my uric acid was high. For once, liver enzymes were good. With Sara, my uric acid and my liver enzymes were high.

christie111777

Postby christie111777 » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:32 pm

I've been experiencing something similar, but not as severe and in all honesty had no idea it was related to preeclampsia. At about 28 weeks along I started having headaches, quite severe but just related it to stress and being pregnant. At 30weeks I was hospitalized with high BP and 318 protein in my urine. I complained of the headaches but didn't realize that it was a symptom too. (NAIVE ME!). The doctors were more worried then I initially was. It wasn't until one of my OBs partners said he would discharge me if I didn't have a head ache that it really clicked. My labs have been normal and the severity of my headache has nothing to do with my BP. I've had a really bad headache and my BP will be 140/80 and other days my BP will be 180/100 and my head feels OK. My headache is pretty constant, but generally mild. I take Tylenol 3 about twice a day and it helps. Once it didn't help and they gave me demerol (I was also on mag on the time though) and demerol made it worse. My best advice is keep your doctors informed about how your feeling. Good LUCK!

julie f

Postby julie f » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:19 pm

Alison,

The cerebral edema is not necessarily associated with high bp and can happen independently (of the bp and labs). While you'll often see them together, the headache is not caused by the high bp.

Have any of the on-call docs commented? Please update us when you hear from your doctor and keep the nurses/doctors aware of ANY symptoms that develops or worsens.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:18 pm

I did. I had 2 trips to L&D around 34.5 weeks & held out until 36 weeks. With my BP's, the headache that wouldn't quit & barely responded to IV meds, reflexes being off (don't know what # they were) my OB induced. She even bypassed having the amnio we were planning. My protein never got past 1+ & labs were fairly normal (I never had a 24 hour - she didn't believe in them until you were 2+ or more - don't even get me started on THAT one).

I don't know how "normal" it is but as for as *I* know, it's possible. I hope you get some answers and a plan tonight! Hang in there.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”