New Here...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
trish
Forum Moderator

Re : New Here...

Postby trish » Thu Sep 21, 638609 2:40 pm

If it was me, I would not wait until an appt. Monday. I would listen to your husband. That is a significant amount of weight gain for only 24 weeks. That, combined with swelling in face & hands and the pressures you are seeing certainly warrants a call to your OB ASAP. Yes, your 24 hour was normal last week, but PE can move very quickly. Unfortunately it is NOT too early to have symptoms. PE can occur as early as 20 weeks.

Here is a link to our signs and symptoms page. http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp I hope that it's nothing & not PE yet but with PE it is always better to be safe than sorry. Better to make an extra trip to L&D than not go when you should have. Update us whe you can.

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Thu Sep 21, 638609 9:50 am

Welcome to the forums!

I definitely think you should call your dr about the pressures. Your weight gain and swelling are also common symptoms, which should be taken into account, imo.

Take care and keep us posted!

Karoliina

cacheandtayt

Postby cacheandtayt » Thu Sep 21, 638609 9:23 am

I got sick sooner with my 2nd pregnancy with preeclampsia- I also got MUCH sicker. I am not wanting to scare you but I waited to call my doctor. I noticed my swelling on a Thursday and had an appt Monday. I just waited until the appt, thinking I had too much to get done and used the weekend to run around and get ready for the baby. I had to be put in a helicopter from her office to a hospital with a NICU. I am sure I had preeclampsia before that Thursday that I noticed the swelling... I was not monitoring my BP at home but when I got to her office it was alarmingly high. They tried to keep it down at the hospital connected to her office but couldn't- thus the helicopter flight.

I guess what I am trying to say is call. Preeclampsia doesn't care when your next appointment is and it certainly doesn't wait for the doctor to get back into the office during the weekend to become bad.

brockner1

Postby brockner1 » Thu Sep 21, 638609 12:37 am

Hi, First of all Congratulations! I would really suggest you to call your doctor and let him/her know about your BP and swelling. Because you have puffy face, you might be close to getting Pre-Eclampsia. Please definitely ask your doctor asap, dont wait until your next appt. I dont want to scare you but this will be in benefit of you and your baby. Good Luck! I hope everything goes well with you and your baby. Take lot of rest!

ellecarys

New Here...

Postby ellecarys » Wed Sep 20, 638609 7:47 pm

Greetings!

I'm a lurker on the board and I thought I'd jump in and say hello. I am currently 24 weeks pregnant and I had pre-e with my last pregnancy. My DD was born at 37 weeks and was a healthy 7lb 8oz. I had to stay in the hospital numerous times in order to control my BP and it was a difficult pregnancy overall.

I'm pregnant again, and this is the first pregnancy for me and DH. DD resulted from a prior marriage. I'm not sure if I'm back at square one due to a pregnancy with a different partner, but things aren't looking good so far.

DH and I have been proactive with this pregnancy. We've been using a home BP cuff to monitor my BP. My baseline BP at the beginning of PG was 115/76. My BP over the last month has averaged around 138/88. I've been to a perinatologist along with my normal OB due to a slightly elevated AFP around week 17. Luckily, nothing was wrong with LO. They do suspect I might have issues down the road so I've been in for ultrasounds every four weeks. LO is developing nicely and already at the 2lb mark. I went in for a routine OB visit at 23 weeks and I was sent home with instructions to complete a 24 hour urine as well as some bloodwork to establish a baseline for my kidney function. Everything came back normal and we were very relieved. My OB informed me that I'll be starting a protocol to lower my BP next week. Since that phone call on Monday, my BP has been high every night. It's been around 145/95. DH thinks this is due to anxiety regarding possible PE. He wants for me to call my OB today and try to get in for an appointment. I'd rather not because I think this issue can wait until my appointment on Monday. Any opinions?

I've had a weight gain of nearly 40lbs so far in the pregnancy. I haven't had the greatest diet, but I am stunned at how much I've gained. I do have swelling in my hands and legs and my face looks puffy. It seems awfully familiar, but I didn't present with pre-e until I was 34 weeks along last time. Isn't it too early to be experiencing symptoms?

Anyhow, I'm very happy to have found this forum. I'd appreciate any advice you can offer about my situation. I'm scared that pre-e is starting all over again, honestly.

Thanks everyone!

Elle

Return to “Ask the Experienced”