Ticking Time Bomb?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
karoliina

Re : Ticking Time Bomb?

Postby karoliina » Sat Sep 09, 638609 11:02 am

I'm also happy to hear you were listened to and feel a little better now. Hang in there!

Karoliina

carjashaner

Postby carjashaner » Wed Aug 30, 638609 4:45 am

So glad to hear that you are feeling a bit better after your talk. It's also nice to hear when a doctor takes the time out of their *busy* day just to listen. And look at it this way.... spring is here, the rooftop garden might begin to look rather pretty. It's no mountain range, but hey, it's better than a solid brick wall!! ;-)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Aug 30, 638609 1:09 am

I'm so glad they're keeping a close eye on you.

Keep us posted.

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Aug 30, 638609 12:37 am

((hugs)) I'm so glad you had a good talk with your OB and got some answers. Hang in there and keep asking questions - of us and your care team!!

kat23_78

Postby kat23_78 » Tue Aug 29, 638609 4:55 pm

Thanks ladies.

I had a rough morning emotionally. The CNA caught me crying in my room and sent my nurse in who sat down and talked with me for a bit. Then my OB came in and she was awesome. She usually only spends 5 mins or so in my room and today she spent almost a half an hour.

She listened to all of my concerns. She said that my labs (which they repeated again this morning before she came in) looked ok, and that she really thinks I'm just having pain from being on bedrest for so long and my bp spiked due to the pain. She ordered some more pain meds and muscle relaxants. She also ordered whirlpool baths if I request them. I expressed my concern to her about taking pain meds while pregnant and she assured me that everything that is ordered for me is safe and that she would rather me be comfortable then in pain, especially since my bp spikes when I'm in pain. I'm still going to keep an eye on this back/abdominal pain. The pain meds don't make it go away, they just make it less intense.

They also think that the larger cuff is better for me (I'm normally 150lbs, but I'm 220 right now...so swollen!!), so I had them write that on my chart and on the board in my room so that we have consistant readings.

All in all I feel a lot better then I did this morning. They did move my room which stinks because I had an AWESOME view of the coastal mountain range and now it's just a roof-top garden, but I'm trying to make the best of it and not be upset about YET another thing. :)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Aug 29, 638609 12:42 am

Kat, I just want to pile in here and agree that I'd keep reiterating the GI pain to them if it persists. Some of our members have had the pain for some period of time before it shows up on their labs, and the only way to confirm that it's your liver is to keep running the bloodwork and watching for changes.

When I was hospitalized they ran bloodwork every four hours or so, just to keep an eye on my liver.

Keep us posted as you're able.

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Mon Aug 28, 638609 6:01 pm

You got wonderful advice from Blythe. I just wanted to post another encouragement. I hope everything will go well in the end!

Keep us posted,

Karoliina

blythe

Postby blythe » Mon Aug 28, 638609 12:35 pm

The shoulder pain especially makes not-a-doc me nervous. Here's a discussion of how the liver pain felt to other women http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=492

It could be from bedrest, but it could be your liver. Please report it! Hang in there!!!

blythe

Postby blythe » Mon Aug 28, 638609 12:31 pm

Hi Kat, I'm sorry to hear you're not feeling well, but I'm so glad you're in the hospital.

I'm no doc, but I'm very unhappy that the CNA used a larger cuff on you when you might not need it. There are measurements on the inside of the cuff for who needs the larger cuff, and most women, even large women, do not need it. Worse, the larger cuff will show lower pressures *incorrectly*. In your shoes I would ask your OB today what your arm measurement is and which cuff you need, and the *note that in your chart* so the CNA will use the correct cuff. Make sure your OB knows which pressures were taken with the larger cuff.

Please report your GI pain to your nurses! It may be nothing, but your liver can fail in a matter of hours in between having your labs drawn. I'm glad your labs have been okay so far, but with your pain getting worse, the only way to know for sure that it isn't your liver is to run the labs again. Don't worry about being hypochondriac! Be polite, but report all your symptoms and ask for what you need.

Average time from diagnosis to delivery is 2 weeks. That average encompasses women who deliver immediately and ones who hang on for weeks and weeks. I wish we had a magic 8 ball! Is

16 more days how long until you are 37 weeks?

kat23_78

Ticking Time Bomb?

Postby kat23_78 » Sun Aug 27, 638609 9:02 pm

Hi ladies,

I hope everyone is doing well. I'm on my 4th day of hospital bedrest and we had a scare tonight. I've been having weird GI issues for a couple of days...loose stools, weird colored stools, and no appetite. Starting this afternoon I've had off and on pain in my upper right back/shoulder. I tried walking the hospital halls, I tried sitting in a chair, stretching on all fours and taking a second shower. Finally I had pain in my upper right GI area that was getting worse. BP's were 171/100 and around there. I also have had severe pitting edema for a couple of weeks now. They called in the oncall OB and he ordered labs.

The CNA decided to switch cuffs to a bigger cuff in the meantime to "lower my pressure" for the doctor. I have no problem with them using a bigger cuff if that is what they think I need, BUT they have always used the smaller cuff, therefore my hospital baseline is based on using a smaller cuff. So they shouldn't compare small cuff numbers to the numbers they get with the bigger cuff. I think if they want to start using the bigger one then fine, but they need to start fresh with all the numbers. Does that make sense? The bigger cuff numbers were 135/98.

He got the labs back and said that there hadnt been any major changes and that I have mild toxemia. Baby looked good, so he said he was in no rush to take the baby. I'm cool with that, but now a little "gun-shy" about saying anything to the nurses about GI/back pain. It's so hard not to feel like a hypocondriac!! The OB gave me pain meds and said he thinks my abdominal pain is just GI stuff.

Does anyone have a magic 8 ball? Can you tell me if I should expect this to get worse or just hang in there for 16 more days and chalk up my aches and pains to being in bed and pregnant? :)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”