Borderline? - new member

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
blythe

Re : Borderline? - new member

Postby blythe » Mon Apr 13, 2009 08:32 pm

You might ask your doctor if she's seen the HYPITAT - Hypertension and Pre-eclapmsia Intervention Trial At Term - study
http://www.studies-obsgyn.nl/home/page.asp?page_id=357

The preliminary results are coming back "May 9 2008: First results
The first results of the Hypitat study indicate that induction of labor has multiple advantages over an expectant management in term pregnancies with pregnancy-induced hypertension or mild preeclampsia. The Hypitat symposium presentations can be found on the Hypitat website."

Your doctor has all the best specific information on *you*, but she might have missed this study since it isn't completed and fully published yet. It might be worth printing out and asking for her opinion.

Either way, good luck and hang in there!

watergirl6

Postby watergirl6 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 04:54 pm

Had another OB appt today. BP was 147/91, 2nd read 30 minutes later was 139/89. At L&D laying on my side, serials were in the 140 range on top while the bottom number gradually decreased to around 70. All other labs looked good/holding steady. U/s estimated baby to be 6.5 lbs, 50th percentile, so the current plan is to check me on Thursday for BP/dipstick, then do a BPP next Monday, see if I am over my chest cold, and see if my cervix loosens up. Still working, and just being aware of any signs of escalation, i.e. headache, visual disturbances, liver pain.

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Sat Apr 11, 2009 07:48 am

I'm also glad you got a diagnosis - it really does make things easier, when you yourself just know everything's not right.

We have a somewhat similar situation with having mild PE in late pregnancy right now. I was diagnosed in week 36 and I'm currently 39 weeks - and they're still not thinking about inducing at this point. In my country they're not as big with operations as in the U.S. usually, even though it depends also on the individual dr, of course.

Good luck!

Karoliina

watergirl6

Postby watergirl6 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 09:11 pm

On the phone the OB said that it is mild and so we wouldn't be looking at induction at this point, just take it easy and I'll be seen Monday. She doesn't like to deliver early. She's a big advocate of every day longer is better for the baby. She told us at the last appt that her daughter was born at 38 1/2 weeks and didn't get to go home with her. I think that may shade her judgement. At any rate, we are doing an u/s on Monday (my first since 20 weeks), so I'm hoping she wants to get a read on the baby's development just in case. I do know that prior to 39 weeks they would not induce without doing an amnio first.

I'll be 37 weeks tomorrow.

blythe

Postby blythe » Fri Apr 10, 2009 08:35 pm

I'm "glad" you have an official diagnosis - I didn't realize that the lupus flares could cause similar symptoms, ack. Just report *anything* and let the docs sort out if it's PE or the flare.

Average time from diagnosis to delivery is two weeks. We've had members hang on for months, and some become critically ill within hours. Since you're so close to term - almost 37 weeks exactly now, right? - did your doctors give you any idea when they'd induce you? In your shoes, on Monday I'd be asking for when they're scheduling your induction or what they will consider indicators for delivery in your case. Good luck and hang in there!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Fri Apr 10, 2009 08:32 pm

Well I am sorry to hear it is PE but so glad that you trusted yourself & pushed to get the tests & care you needed!! So much for you're just pregnant, deal with it! HA!

And you'll be 37 weeks by Monday right? They may just decide not to mess around anymore and induce you. I'd have a bag packed just in case. Hope you have an unevenfull weekend & make it to that appt. My 2nd daughter's 4th b-day is Tuesday & she'd be happy to share it if they decide you should have a baby sooner rather than later! Take it easy & hang in there!!

watergirl6

Postby watergirl6 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 04:57 pm

Is it silly to say I am relieved that my protein from the 24-hour came back at 525? BP at the OB's yesterday was 157/85. So we're looking at mild pre-eclampsia, taking it easy, seeing the OB Monday, and going in if I get the headache, visual disturbances, or pain on the right side.

I am just glad that my labs are starting to show what I've been feeling. It helps me feel like less of a hypochondriac.

BTW, my 24-hour output - 5,000 ml. Crazy! I didn't know I pee so much!

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Fri Apr 10, 2009 09:40 am

If you can find something clean to store your urine in, like a plastic bottle or something, do collect your urine there. They really need everything you pee in those 24-hours.

I know I pee a lot, and I sometimes go over 4,000 ml when pregnant (average for me is maybe 3,500 ml), but often they offer me only one 2,500 ml container, and then I just ask for another one.

For others that one 2,500 ml container is enough, so it really depends on how much you drink. It's a good idea to write down the amounts you drink and pee. I usually notice maybe around 1,000 ml will "disappear", but I'm not sure if it's the normal amount that you breathe and sweat etc., or if it's because due to PE I'm retaining water.

Karoliina

watergirl6

Postby watergirl6 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 04:04 am

Thanks, ladies. Starting Monday my lupus started to flare BIGTIME and in looking online, it seems that lupus flare and pre-e share many similar symptoms. My rheum did a protein:creatanine ratio which didn't look bad even though it was a little high at .13. I am currently doing a 24 hour catch for my OB. They gave me a jug to store in which has markings up to 3700 ml. I started 16 hours ago and the jug is full. Not sure what to do now. I'll call in the morning to find out. Does anyone know what avg output is?

carjashaner

Postby carjashaner » Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:52 pm

Hello Gina,

You've gotten such great advice from these ladies so far, there isn't much I can add.... except WELCOME....congratulations on making into the home stretch.... good luck with the rest of the pregnancy.....and keep us posted on the little one's arrival!!
Carole

Return to “Ask the Experienced”