Odds of reoccurence of placental abruption??

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
cindync

Re : Odds of reoccurence of placental abruption??

Postby cindync » Fri Jul 14, 638609 3:57 am

I had placental abruption with both of my pregnancies. My first pregnancy was at 36 weeks, totally unexpected. I suspect I had mild PE at the time....but I do not know...All I know is I was putting the infant carrier together, went to the bathroom and tons of blood gushed out (turned the toilet water completely bloodred), we took an ambulance (where I gushed more blood), and had an emergency csection under general anesthesia. PE was never diagnosed, but probably with the emergency of everything there was not time to test for it. I do remember I had big swollen feet, and my BP was higher at the OB's a couple of weeks prior, and had +1 protein (this was all in my medical records that I got later, but no one ever said anything).

My 3rd child I also had a placental abruption....at 32 weeks, but I also had severe PE. So I am not sure. I did not bleed out with this pregnancy, it was found when doing the csection.

Cindy

mother bear

Postby mother bear » Thu Jul 13, 638609 2:55 pm

Well, it didn't reoccur in me, so I must be one of those lucky 88% of women. But then, statistics aren't personal.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Jul 03, 638609 12:58 am

There is no such thing as overthinking this. :-) :-)

runninlola

Postby runninlola » Sun Jul 02, 638609 11:38 pm

Thanks Caryn for trying to find the answers. I see what you mean by the compounding complications of getting a straight answer, as both are as you said intertwined.

I am probably over-thinking this whole thing anyway...

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Jul 02, 638609 10:32 pm

I have found this, which says in part Recurrent placental abruption and associated adverse neonatal outcome occurred in 11.9% (7:59) of the women. If the disease did not recur, a history of placental abruption had no significant effects on birth weight, fetal distress or prematurity rate, whereas the incidence of pre-eclampsia was found to be increased...

It's pretty messy, because they know the two things are intertwined. This suggests, to me, that if the mother's body isn't successful at detaching the placenta in a subsequent pregnancy, she's more likely to get sick with PE. (Presumably that's because there's a common underpinning reason for both things, because both are associated with failures of placentation.)

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Jul 02, 638609 8:49 pm

I was looking in the population of preeclamptics who'd experienced abruption. I can't seem to find something in PubMed where they've looked at both things at once. :-)

runninlola

Postby runninlola » Sun Jul 02, 638609 8:02 pm

Yes, it makes sense!
I wonder where you've been looking for the odds of a second abruption after a previous one, Trust me, I definitely like your odds better, but what I read so far does points to a 15% chance on a subsequent pregnancy... Therein lies my big question, Do these stats relate to women who are just prone to an abruption period, no other underlying complications, such as PE? Let's say a woman in her 32 week has a sudden abruption, no PE just the abruption, from what I understand her odds of having another are in that 15% range mentioned above. Now, in my case, severe PE caused my abruption, so I was hoping that if I don't develop PE then those stats don't apply to me, b/c it's not as if I am simply "prone" to an abruption, it was the PE that brought it about.

I am sorry my thoughts are so convoluted I wonder if anyone can make any sense of them at all... So, the question remains, Do I fall into the group: One abruption = 15% chance of another or PE caused abruption therefore no PE, no 15% chance of abruption regardless?

Yikes! I know...

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun Jul 02, 638609 6:30 am

I've been checking to see if any data exists on risk of abruption in a subsequent pregnancy after a pregnancy with abruption, and I think the answer is no. Which is kind of reassuring, actually, because it's apparently not common enough for there to be data on it. :-)

What's going on in PE is that the placentation has gone wrong, somehow, in a way that makes it more likely to abrupt. Sometimes women with beautifully controlled pressures still have abruptions, because the disease is progressing in the background and manifesting in a way that's harder to detect. So while I'd agree that my understanding is "no PE, no abruption", it's also true that for some unlucky people abruption is the first symptom of PE. Does that make sense?

runninlola

Odds of reoccurence of placental abruption??

Postby runninlola » Sat Jul 01, 638609 10:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I am new here and I really appreciate the amazing helpful people on this forum. That said :), I have another nagging question and no amount of research so far has been able to answer it. I had a pretty severe abruption with my first pregnancy and since I am nearly ready to TTC, questions and concerns are popping up. I have read basic info on the odds of reoccurence of PE and of placental abruption, the odds of the latter being around 15%, however, since my abruption was directly caused by my PE, if I don't develop PE in this pregnancy, do my odds for an abruption remain the same? In other words, no PE no abruption (sort of)? That would make my day!!

Thanks in advance

Return to “Ask the Experienced”