20 weeks and already HBP + protein

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
cheleandcallidora

Re : 20 weeks and already HBP + protein

Postby cheleandcallidora » Thu May 21, 2009 04:35 pm

Congrats on 28 weeks! I hope things continue to go well and I am so happy you are getting good care.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu May 21, 2009 09:28 am

Whoo hoo for 28 weeks!! That's a big milestone - now to get to 32!! NST's to check on baby as well as monthly (or even weekly) U/S or BPP's (a more in depth U/S) to see baby are normal for "high risk" pregnancies. It really is a good thing to be monitored so closely so they'll know when or if anything starts to look "off" for baby they can react quickly.

Hang in there!!! Glad things are looking so good. :)

saving_grace

Postby saving_grace » Thu May 21, 2009 09:27 am

Woohoo!!! 28 weeks!!! Congrats and I hope things continue to go smoothly for you!

athamilton

Postby athamilton » Wed May 20, 2009 10:34 pm

Well, I made it to 28 weeks! Yea! :-) I saw my MFM yesterday for an ultrasound. They estimate the baby is 2.3 lbs. (~1036g). Everything looks great on ultrasound, and my BP's are staying low.

The doctor I saw yesterday wasn't my regular MFM, but another doctor in the practice. It was the first time we'd met, so he took some time to go over everything with me. I'm glad he did, but it was also hard to hear about all the risks all over again. I've been feeling so good for the last few weeks, and I truly believed that I would make it all the way to 40 weeks. It was discouraging to hear yet another doctor say that there's a good chance I'll have to deliver early....

I also learned that there's a difference between preterm delivery and preterm labor. I know, you're all thinking, "duh!" But in my mind, the two terms meant the same thing.... He explained that I'm not at any higher risk for preterm labor, but I'm at a higher risk that something will happen which will necessitate preterm delivery by induction or c-section. It's good that he cleared that up, because honestly, the Braxton-Hicks contractions were kinda freaking me out! ;-)

In my situation, since I started my pregnancy with HBP and proteinuria, if I develop Pre-E, he says it may be impossible to diagnose until I'm already very sick. That's what they're most worried about, I think. He drew blood for a uric acid test to establish a baseline level, because increased uric acid may be an indicator of Pre-E. (Has anyone else ever heard that?)

Plus, and this came as a bit of a surprise, he wants to start weekly NST testing in a few weeks. I wasn't expecting that at all. I thought that was something they do when there's an actual problem with the baby. I didn't realize they would want to do it "just in case."

Overall, it looks like I had it pretty good during the 2nd trimester. But now that the 3rd trimester is here, the docs are getting more worried that something might develop... I'm starting to feel like a sick person again instead of a pregnant mom.... :-(

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:19 pm

Hi!
I'm glad to see that you are doing well.
About the 24 hr urines - I know that for me (I went into my pregnancy with preexisting kidney issues) that serial 24 hour urines were the norm and the expectation. I'm sort of shocked that your MFM doesn't want to do another - did they indicate why? Yes, it wouldn't be a good indicator for a diagnosis of PE but the way that they explained it to me was that they would be monitoring it relative to baseline - meaning - my baseline (pre pregnancy proteinuria was 500 mg) so, if within a few weeks time I went from that to say 5000 mg that is a significant concern and an indicator that my kidney's weren't doing well at all with my pregnancy. That honestly was one of the biggest concerns - that my kidney's wouldn't be able to handle the increased blood volume. The proteinuria would then impact my blood pressure causing it to rise - it sort of all works together. Kidney involvement would be a huge indicator for those of us that come into the pregnancy with preexisting conditions. For most women that have kidney complications they don't have lasting effects but for those coming into the pregnancy with kidney issues that is not the case. I know that I have had additional loss of kidney function since my pregnancy - it's not critical yet but still it's a pretty big change from my baseline.

*Fingers Crossed for more weeks!*

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 08:20 am

Good luck! Sounds like you are having a pregnancy like I had! Except I had terribly uncontrolled bloodpressure from 23 weeks on. My kidneys held out really well (only 400). They almost delivered me at I think t was 24 weeks, when I went in and had an office reading of 198/105. The next week it was down and I ended up pregnant all the way to 36 weeks! None of my MFM thought I'd be pregnant that long, they kept saying "looksl ike we might be delivering you tomorrow" then I'd go in and NOPE! LOL.
Just be prepared for some higher bp's in your 3rd trimester. For me it was right to the day, it just shot up. I was able to get them back down with bedrest and some medication adjustments, but the trip to trimester 3 from 2 is pretty intense for some chronics.
Sometimes us chronics really surprise our dr's and end up going to the hihg risk full term 37 weeks so GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Sat Apr 11, 2009 07:56 am

Thanks for the update and good news!

It's great you're being monitored, and you are keeping your spirits up despite the risks. :)

It's so difficult to say about some of the symptoms, when you've read about them beforehand. I've also lately had some "sensations" in my URQ, but as they've been really brief, and so far my liver labs have been excellent, I've decided not to get worried.

Also, for example yesterday evening I was feeling really crappy, was very swollen and had a mildish migraine-type headache - and all that made me think I saw flashing lights a couple of times. It's difficult as you can't know for sure unless some symptom is super clear, but they still make you worry obviously.

I think it would be a good idea to ask for another round of blood tests, if you're worried about that upper abdominal pain!

Karoliina

athamilton

Postby athamilton » Sat Apr 11, 2009 01:28 am

Thanks, ladies! :-)

I'm happy to report that at 22 weeks, everything is going well. I went to my MFM on Monday for another ultrasound and the baby looks great! :-) BP is staying within the 115-140/65-80 range on Labetalol 200mg and Cardizem. I've had a little bit of leg swelling, but nothing in the face or hands, so good news there.

Every now and then, I feel a twinge on the right side under my ribs. It's not bad pain, and it doesn't last long at all. (If I didn't know anything about HELLP, I wouldn't think anything of it.) But it scares me a bit every time it happens, and I worry that it's a sign of things to come. Did anyone else have that too?

I haven't had another 24-hr urine, and considering my preexisting kidney issues, my MFM doesn't think it will be helpful. He fully expects my protein to skyrocket anyway... oh well... ;-)

So I told my MFM that some friends are planning a shower for me in late June (when I'll be 34 weeks) and asked him if he can get me through that date... he paused, looked rather skeptical, and said, "hopefully". Yikes!

I'm already preparing myself for bedrest and/or hospitalization. I've prepaid bills, packed my bag, given house keys to friends, etc... It's sorta like nesting, except scarier....

But I'm also keeping up hope that I will -- at a minimum -- get through the next 4 weeks until I'm 26 weeks along... (arguably the earliest date for viability, right?) After that, every day will be a gift!

I'm so glad all of you are here. :-)

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:15 am

Hi Allison -
As you can see from my signature line below I also came into my pregnancy with chronic kidney disease and chronic hypertension. Like you I already met the 'diagnostic' criteria walking into pregnancy. For us you are right, we have a higher probability of IUGR, early delivery, and superimposed PE so it is very important that you are doing what you are doing, which is being watched carefully! For me, that meant serial (as in monthly, then biweekly and then weekly) 24/hr urine collections and hospital bedrest which ultimately lead to a healthy, but little girl delivered at 33 weeks. I know it's scary though so know that many of us have been in your place and understand what it feels like to be so out of control of something that we so WANT to control.

Please feel free to contact me directly on the specifics of how they monitored me through my pregnancy if you desire - I wish you many weeks of pregnancy!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Tue Mar 24, 2009 09:13 am

Welcome to the forums! It is great to see that you are being watched so carefully. Since BP & protein won't be the best indicators for you, be sure to be looking for other signs & symptoms. Here's a link: http://preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp

I hope you have a nice 2-3 more months (at least!) of baby baking. :)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”