Waiting for preeclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
bonbon1971

Re : Waiting for preeclampsia

Postby bonbon1971 » Thu Mar 26, 2009 04:55 pm

Hello to a great support group!!

Spirits are better because I went to my OB appt. My bp was better on Tuesday and Wednesday, about 140ish over 90 ish. He does not want to raise meds quite yet. Doc does want me now on WEEKLY appts. He ran all kinds of bloodwork and I am currently doing my 24 hours urine check. I'm crossing my fingers!!! I feel and look very swollen, it's ugly. Part of the package I guess, hopefully won't turn into PE. No other symptoms.

Thanks again,
Yvonne

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Mar 24, 2009 00:07 am

Keeping calm has nothing to do with it -- this disease is driven by the placenta, and it does things to make you anxious, like directly tapping into your adrenal gland and upping your stress hormones, cortisol in particular -- so please don't worry about bringing this on yourself somehow.

The pain "around your heart" worries me. Pain on the upper right side can mean liver involvement, and sometimes it feels like heartburn, or like a pinched nerve right at where the bra strap hits the shoulder. It's easy to rule liver involvement in or out with bloodwork in L&D. If that's where it is, and if it persists or worsens, I'd head in to be checked out.

You said they wanted to keep your pressures around 140/90; did your doc give you a bp threshold at which to call the office or head in to L&D for a check? This syndrome usually requires pretty tight monitoring -- a couple visits a week at least -- and if you've developed it between appointments the only way to tell is a bp check, a protein check, and some bloodwork.

Here's a link to our Signs and Symptoms page. Don't hesitate to annoy them; if you get checked and it's nothing, no harm done. If you don't get checked... and it *is* something... then that can be dangerous.

Keep us posted as you're able.

bonbon1971

Postby bonbon1971 » Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:59 pm

It's Monday and it's two more days until my appointment. I am trying to keep calm about my blood pressure readings, but just now I had one at 167/89. I am feeling plenty of baby movements, so I'm trying not to worry, but it's hard. I have a physical pain on my heart, it probably isn't anything. I feel if I can just hold off until Wednesday's doctor appointment everything will be fine.

bonbon1971

Postby bonbon1971 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:53 pm

Wow, I can't believe the quick replies. Thank you so much for your information. I will hold off on the worrying until I go to my doc on Wednesday. And I'll definitely take all these questions with me. It's great to know this site is here!! Thanks for everything!!!!

mrs.spit

Postby mrs.spit » Sat Mar 21, 2009 08:43 pm

Hi Yvonne:

I'm not sure if I am the best person to answer your question, and I do feel a bit nervous, because we lost our son, but I wanted someone to answer you.

Have you had a 24 hour urine catch done, and are you seeing a high risk doc - called a MFM or Perinatologist? It does sound like your doc is on top of things. You do have some of the risk factors, and certainly your BP is above. Pre-e is made by a diagnosis of 2 readings of 140/90 taken 6 hours apart, and 300mg of protein. While the average time from diagnosis to delivery is 2 weeks, you will find that some of us get sick right away and some women limp along for quite awhile.

At this point, it will be a bit of watching and waiting. You may find your dose of medications upped, and that may help for a bit longer. You may have a set of steriod shots to help mature wee one's lungs, and you may find yourself on bed rest, at home or in the hospital. Expect more frequent appointments and more monitoring of the baby. The reality is at 29.5, if you had this baby today, things still look good for you and the babe. While pre-e is one of the leading causes of prematurity, your babe is in a really good place, and it's extremely rare in North America or Europe that women die of pre-e. It can happen, but it's quite rare that mum dies.

You might find it helpful to lurk around the prematurity boards, and to have some frank discussions with your doc about what he/she expects to have happen from this point, at what point you should be heading into the hospital and the like. I'll attach a link to the signs and sypmtoms page, and if you are at all worried, head in to L and D. Far, far better safe than sorry.

And remember, you aren't the first to have this disease, and you are not alone. Keep us updated.

http://www.preeclampsia.org/symptoms.asp

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 08:35 pm

Yvonne, welcome to the forums.

First of all, it rarely kills people if they're watching for it and have access to prompt delivery and to a NICU. Delivery is the only treatment, but it cures the disease. It's thought to be an immune response to the foreign organ of the placenta.

Sometimes delivery must be so very early or the baby has been so slow to grow that even prompt delivery and the best care cannot protect the baby. In good news, however, that's only a very slight concern at 30 weeks gestation -- most 30 weekers do very well. 32 weekers require NICU time but are something like 99% survival and 98% of those have no morbidity, and 34 weekers bump up to 99% and 99%.

Chronic hypertensives have about a 25% chance of developing preeclampsia, and often see their blood pressure start to rise in the third trimester. You're right that you'd need 300 mg of protein on a 24-hour test in addition to those blood pressure readings for a diagnosis, but hypertensive spikes in a chronic pregnant woman are cause enough to worry and get closer monitoring.

On Wednesday, I'd ask about a 24-hour proteinuria test and what the plan is from here on out for monitoring of you and the baby. Will he want to start you on bp meds? Will you have NSTs twice a week? Will you need steroids in case you deliver early, to mature the baby's lungs faster?

Keep us posted, and holler with any questions!

bonbon1971

Waiting for preeclampsia

Postby bonbon1971 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 08:16 pm

Hello,
I'm 29 1/2 weeks pregnant. I am overweight and hypertensive since before I got pregnant. I am ecstatic that I do not have gestational diabetes, but now my concern has turned into worrying about Preeclampsia. My doctor wants me to maintain by bp around 140-ish over 90ish. I have been up until now. This weeks readings have been up in the 150's and one of them showed at 160... over 90. I have more swelling than usual in my feet. He's has me at two-week visits, so I'll go back on Wednesday to see him. I know you need a certain protein reading before you have a diagnosis of PE.. but from what I've stated, does it sound like I'm headed down that road? So my question turns to what next? What if I do have it? Other than probably an increase in medication, what are the treatments? I read there is a high death rate for mother and child and I'm extremely worried.

Thanks for your help.
Yvonne (brand new to board)

Return to “Ask the Experienced”