Waiting for preeclampsia

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
blythe

Re : Waiting for preeclampsia

Postby blythe » Thu Apr 09, 2009 09:33 am

The range of acceptable bps seems to vary from woman to woman. If your bp goes really low the blood doesn't have enough pressure to get through the placenta to the baby and the baby won't get the sustenance it needs. I'd put a call in to your doc to see if he wants to adjust your meds a little. 140 to 130 doesn't sound that dangerous to totally-not-a-doc me, but I'd much rather your OB told you that for sure or adjusted your meds. Let us know what he says!!

Hang in there!

bonbon1971

Postby bonbon1971 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 08:53 am

I'm happy about 143/83, but I am also getting down into the 130's which is below my baseline. What are the repercussions of going below the baseline. I know that Doc mentioned that since my placenta was used to the baseline numbers it was best to stay in the 140's. So, what are the repercussions for the baby to go under?

If it's not one thing it's another... arg.

bonbon1971

Postby bonbon1971 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 06:39 pm

Thanks for the info the the SI PE... I am happy to report my blood pressure is 143/83. I am so excited, it hadn't been that low in a few weeks. The procardia/labetatol is working!!!

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Apr 08, 2009 08:57 am

Okay, I like this one - http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20819
we discuss "true" PE.
"Superimposed" just means that PE happens "on top of" having chronic htn or preexisting kidney damage (or possibly other preexisting conditions, I'm not clear what other conditions would qualify, though). The important thing to remember is that "superimposed" PE is just as dangerous, sometimes more dangerous, so watch your signs and symptoms and keep reporting everything to your medical team.

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Apr 08, 2009 08:52 am

Like Caryn said, placental abruption is the scariest thing for the baby - I said it wrong in my post! The quote I took is also a little misleading, since it lists placental abruption under maternal risks. The confusing part is that placental abruption isn't necessarily from the high blood pressure. I'm no doc and may be understanding this wrong, but it seems like placental abruption can be from the same chemicals that cause PE. You don't necessarily have to have sky-high bp to have a placental abruption.

But other than the risk of abruption, the maternal risks of uncontrolled high bp are pretty nasty in themselves.

All that being said, doing your kick counts and watching your bp, taking your meds, being monitored closely by your doctors, and reporting any concerns asap can minimize scary outcomes like that.

I'll look for a good "superimposed" link for you...

bonbon1971

Postby bonbon1971 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 00:19 am

Wow, you all are amazing because you make me feel better. I finally talked to the nurse and she said doc is adding Labetatol to my already 90 MG of Procardia. Oh well!!

I did ask the nurse to ask him when I should go to L&D, but she didn't get back to me on that part. I will ask again.

I am not technically counting the kicks, but I am looking out for them constantly.

The article is interesting, I am going to print out and read it again, it's a little complicated. It's relieving to know that more of the risks are for me than for the baby... I know, still not good.

I'll keep you all posted.

p.s. Oh, and if you have any info on this "superimposed PE", let me know.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:56 am

I would also head into L&D with numbers like that. The biggest risk to the baby here is placental abruption, which doesn't necessarily go along with high blood pressure, but which does get more likely the longer you're symptomatic.

I'm glad they're running more labs, but in L&D they can also do an ultrasound to check on the baby.

Are you doing kick counts?

karoliina

Postby karoliina » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:14 am

I'm glad Blythe could give you a good link to information about how high BP might affect you and the baby.

I also think your readings are high, but on the other hand your baseline is very high, too. I was told by a doc I don't need to worry unless my diastolic will be constantly over 100, and my baseline is 120/60! But I have to say I was not happy with that, and now we're trying to keep the numbers under 150/95 (not succeeding all the time, though).

Keep us updated!

Karoliina

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Apr 07, 2009 08:17 am

Hi Yvonne, I'm sorry you had a rough weekend! Those bps just made my jaw drop. Did your doctor give you a "go to the hospital" bp number? Fiona also has chronic htn, and I"m pretty sure hers was 160/106. I'm guessing you also have chronic htn for your doc to be comfortable keeping you at 140/90 as your baseline? (I think Caryn already noted that chronic htn develops into "superimposed" PE (looks the same and is just as dangerous, but might not have the same origins as "true" PE) about 25% of the time.) Your doctor will have a specific idea about what is "acceptable" for you. Personally, and I'm no doc, I would be going in to L&D asap with numbers like that.
I would email and call your doctor again today, personally I wouldn't wait until tomorrow. You might just need meds at this point, you might be getting very sick.

My understanding is that the high bps are much more dangerous for you than for the baby. This article says http://hyper.ahajournals.org/cgi/content/full/51/4/960
"The main risks to the mother are placental abruption, accelerated hypertension leading to hospitalization, and target organ damage, such as cerebral vascular catastrophe.1 Fetal risks include growth restriction and prematurity because of worsening of maternal disease necessitating early delivery.11"

bonbon1971

Postby bonbon1971 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 02:57 am

I had a rough weekend. The dock upped my BP meds, but all weekend my bp's were 170/100 ish... one reading was even 190/100. I was worried and almost on my way to L&D, but I didn't go. As of Monday morning, they are back to 155/95 ish.. I emailed my doc and strangely enough he didn't respond. He is always good about responding. So, now I have to wait until tomorrow to see what he says. My baseline is 140/90 ish but I have not been able to get that low in a while. More blood and urine labs are being done.

My main concern, this high blood pressure, what does it do to the baby?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”