New to site - possible preeclampsia - UPDATE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mrsjacobs819

Re : New to site - possible preeclampsia - UPDATE

Postby mrsjacobs819 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 01:48 pm

Hi Melissa -

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30483

This is a link to my post describing my situation. In answer to your question about timing - I was admitted and induced 9 days after my first L&D visit b/c I was having severe RUQ pain. I was never admitted to the hospital prior although I was told on 2 separate occasions that I would be.

I was put on bedrest which helped my BP in the beginning, but that did change over a course of days.

I also was allowed to have a vaginal delivery (although I begged for a c-section after 20 hours on mag). I delivered a healthy baby girl at 36 + 5. She spent 3 days in the NICU b/c she was over-magged but other than that she was perfect.

It's a scary thing and you'll have a million more questions and concerns. The ladies here are an amazing and are an invaluable resource. Good luck and keep us posted!

quincyf

Postby quincyf » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:46 pm

With my first pregnancy, i would have gladly gone home if they had let me (thank God they didn't)...with this second one, I was much more interested in being CLOSELY monitored. Please don't let your natural instinct to want to go home (it's usually a good one, but not necessarily with this disease) cloud your judgement. Good Luck!

mivied

Postby mivied » Sun Mar 15, 2009 09:08 pm

Hi Momma and quincy. Thanks for your input. Well, the latest is that I seem to be doing much better. BP is way down. I had one semi high reading today, but the rest were good. And my newest 24 hour urine came back at 299, so they are having me get an ultrasound with the high risk dr tomorrow afternoon at some point, and if that goes well, they will probably let me go home again. I have mixed feelings about this. Of course, I'd rather be at home, but at the same time, I know I'll be nervous at home and worry about every little thing that happens. Hopefully I can make it at home a few more weeks though. Anyway, that's it for now. I'll update when I have one.
Take care all!

quincyf

Postby quincyf » Sun Mar 15, 2009 06:59 pm

Oh, I have been lurking...I have a 9week old and am busy, but I just had to jump in here and let you know that my joke with my Drs is that I have the opposite of white coat syndrome...don't let it fool you. Every time I got near a hospital, my BP's came right down...DON'T let it fool you...with the pressures you are logging, I am SO glad you are there. Stay the course, let us know what happens! Good Luck.
Q

momma1408

Postby momma1408 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 02:17 pm

Oh and also don't feel stupid about your BP's going down at the hospital. My first dr. blew off all my concerns of PE when I was seeing her so I ended up switching drs. halfway through my pregnancy and the 2nd doc listened but she has seen so few cases of PE I don't think she really thought it was possible with me being so young and healthy in the beginning. Best wishes again and keep us posted

momma1408

Postby momma1408 » Sun Mar 15, 2009 02:16 pm

So, being that a lot of you ladies have been through this, I'm curious to hear how long you ladies went after the initial diagnosis. And, were you allowed to go home? Or did they keep you in the hospital? How did you know when it got serious enough to go back? How big were your babies, and at how far along did you deliver? Do you think it's possible that if I am really good about staying on bedrest, that this could go away...or at least have the delivery put off for a while? Oh, and one more question (for now...lol). Will they always try to induce labor first, or just go right for a c-section, or does that all depend on blood pressure, etc.

Hi Melissa!!
I had severe pre-e with my son but I also had a very rare disease along with it called HELLP Syndrome. I had suspicions for a while with my son I'd say probably atleast a month, starting at about 6 months. Everytime I would go to the doctors and they would take my blood pressure the first time it was always hight then they would try the other arm and it would be lower. I had severe swelling and I was getting incredibly terrible headaches. Worse than my migraines usually are that I have been getting for a long time. I would get dizzy very easily and very short of breath. I was always tired also. I kept getting blood and urine tests at my dr.s appointments but they always came back fine. I also got really bad pains on my left side under my ribs. Finally at 32 weeks I could not breath hardly at all and it was even worse if I would lay down. I called my dr. and went straight to L&D. They did blood tests there and a protein test and confirmed that I had severe Pre-e (which I had thought I had for the past month) and that I also had severe HELLP. They induced me and after about 20 some odd hours of labor my son Scott Robert Herman was born weighing in at 4 lbs 5 oz. and 17 3/4 inches long. He was only on oxygen for a week or two and had trouble eating so he spend 46 days in the NICU. He could have come home much sooner than that if he would've just ate. Scott is now 14 1/2 months old and weighs 15 pounds. He has a milk and soy allergy and other than that he is pretty much healthy. Scott has his own individual challenges as all babies do but he is happy and mostly healthy and doing great. I hope this helped you and I wish you and your baby all the best. Please keep us updated and God Bless.

mivied

Postby mivied » Sun Mar 15, 2009 06:51 am

Thank you all for your support. I can't tell you how much it means to me right now. I feel sort of stupid because when I am here in the hospital, my bp seems to go down, and I feel like I'm here for no reason, but I know it's the best thing for me right now. We'll see what happens. Thanks again all!
Love,
Melissa

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Sun Mar 15, 2009 00:01 am

Melissa, I know it sucks to be in the hospital, but you are definitely in the right place! I hope you get many more weeks! Please keep us posted!

blythe

Postby blythe » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:40 pm

I'm so glad you were watching your bp and noted your vomiting and slow baby movements and called! And so glad the on-call doc had you admitted! Have they run bloodwork yet?

If I were in your shoes right now I'd be asking my doc exactly what bp numbers and bloodwork values and other indicators he/she will use as indications for delivery. But I'm a control freak ;->.

I hope you get many more days of boring waiting!

patty

Postby patty » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:10 pm

Just wanted to say hello and to hang in there! I am glad you are in the hospital where they can keep an eye on you. I hope you get a few more weeks. I did hospital bedrest with my last two. I went in at 31 with Raleigh and got to 34 and I went in at 27 with Randall and got to 31 so about a month was my experience. I hope you get to bake for a while yet!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”