New to site - possible preeclampsia - UPDATE

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
blythe

Re : New to site - possible preeclampsia - UPDATE

Postby blythe » Fri Mar 20, 2009 04:02 pm

Thanks for the update! Hang in there!!

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Fri Mar 20, 2009 03:13 pm

I'm glad that you had a good appointment. Yeah, don't be surprised if your bp medication has to be increased more than once. I don't even know the number of times mine was increased. I started at 50 mg of labetalol twice a day and ended up taking 600 mg 3x a day at the end.

I hope that you have many more weeks of pregnancy left!

mivied

Postby mivied » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:26 am

Well, I just had my follow up dr's appointment and he was happy with the fact that the blood pressure meds have brought the bp down from 170/108 to about 148/96. He said that they don't want the bp going too low, because the baby is used to it around this reading. But of course they will be concerned if it's up near the 160's - 170's again. He said that it is very likely that in a week or so, my bp will go up again and that they will have to continually increase my dosage of aldomet until the delivery. Other than that, everything else seems to be going well. I had my first NST yesterday and that went well. I go again on Monday, and I also see the MFM again on Monday. Maybe my little girl is going to hang out and cook a while longer. Thanks again for all your well wishes and thoughts! I'll update again soon!

mom29

Postby mom29 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 04:07 pm

You said that you thought your dr. was mad at you when you mentioned seeing stars. Don't let this put you off from telling them about any of your symptoms. Report everything and don't worry about feeling like you are in and out of L&D a lot. You need to keep a close eye on everything. We can only share our stories and of course we can't give medical advice. I won't be at all surprised to hear that you've delivered the next time you post here. Keep us updated! You asked about a c/s. I was induced for two days so I escaped having a c/s.

blythe

Postby blythe » Wed Mar 18, 2009 02:31 pm

Wow, that's a high bp! I think you hit the nail on the head - I very much doubt your doctor was mad at you, just mad that your bp was so high and that you could have stroked out in his office! Definitely keep tell him when you have visual disturbances, it's his job to decide if they're pre-eclamptic CNS involvement or just because your bp is too high ;->.

Aldomet (methyldopa) is the absolute safest hypertension medicine for your baby, (category B) so that's the first one your doc will try. If it doesn't work, there are still more meds out there. I hope it works!!!

missdee

Postby missdee » Wed Mar 18, 2009 02:12 pm

I am 31 weeks pregnant and have been on Aldomed since 29 weeks, they started me on 250 mg 3x/d, now i'm at 500 mg 3x/d. It works well and controls my bp well. If your pressures becomes too high especially the bottom one-diastolic, it has a direct effect on your baby as the bloodflow through the cord is affected. Therefore to use the medication is much better to keep your baby healthy. Apparently they can prescribe up to 750 mg 3x/d, then they have to use a different medication. Hope this helps

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Wed Mar 18, 2009 01:19 pm

Wow that is a very high bp reading. I'm glad that your doctor is putting you on bp medication. I was on bp medication during two of my pregnancies. I have not taken aldomet but, lots of women on this board have. Hopefully it will help you with your bp but, it will not cure or stop the progression of preeclampsia. You and your doctor will still need to carefully monitor your health.

mivied

Postby mivied » Wed Mar 18, 2009 01:02 pm

Hello everyone. Well, my latest news is that I went to the Dr's office for my visit today and my blood pressure was again 170/108. So, they made me lay down on my side for 15 minutes....Took it again. Nothing different. My dr almost seems mad at me, but I guess it's just that he's frustrated with the results. At least I hope that's what his problem is. When I mentioned that I saw stars for about a minute this morning, he replied, "well, yeah! you're pressure is too high". Oh. LOL. I thought I was supposed to tell him if this happened. But anyway. He now put me on blood pressure medication. Do you think that this is ok? The medicine is Aldomet. Anyone know anything about this med? Anything I should look for or anything? Or is it possible that this will do the trick?

Thanks as always for listening to my babble!
Love,
Melissa

blythe

Postby blythe » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:25 am

Good luck, Melissa! I'm glad things stabilized while you were in the hospital, and I hope you get many more weeks of safe pregnancy!!

mivied

Postby mivied » Tue Mar 17, 2009 09:29 am

Wow Mrs Jacobs, I'm so sorry for what you went through. I thank God I have dr's that seem to understand what's going on.

I'm glad to hear your daughter is healthy. I love hearing the success stories. Makes me relax a bit more.

I'm home now, and hopefully for a few more weeks if we can make it.
Wish me luck. I'll keep you updated.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”