BP Meds and Subsquent Pregnancies

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
tawnialine
Registered User
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:48 am

Re : BP Meds and Subsquent Pregnancies

Postby tawnialine » Tue Mar 17, 2009 01:28 pm

i'm not sure that the risks are cummulative... but.. it's possible.. However, as far as chronic hypertension goes.. i was (am) a chronic hypertensive when I got pregnant with my son.. was already on aldomet(methyldopa) I remained on it- and had to increase it due to an elevation after I got pregnant.. we controlled it pretty well with that and I delivered full term on my due date AND he was a healthy weight- no reduction in growth.. so.. it is possible :) I wouldnt let it discourage you too much.. either way.. just do the best you can to try and do whatever you can to lessen your risk, treat your body as though you're just trying to make it happen as late in the pregnancy as possible.. and if it doesnt happen great :) you definately didnt waste your efforts no matter what the outcome :) good luck!! :)

jenniferf
Registered User
Posts: 91
Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:23 pm

Re : BP Meds and Subsquent Pregnancies

Postby jenniferf » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:33 am

Alissa, I was on Aldomet and Labetolol before getting pregnant the second time. We made it 36wks 5dys, a lot further than I ever thought possible.

User avatar
caryn
Forum Moderator
Posts: 10203
Joined: Fri Jun 25, 2004 06:36 am

Re : BP Meds and Subsquent Pregnancies

Postby caryn » Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:16 pm

Alissa, Fiona was on meds for her last pregnancy after two extremely early PE deliveries and got to 36 weeks and change. It's impossible to predict how someone with chronic tendencies will do, but there are a lot of positive stories on the boards.

jshell4871
Registered User
Posts: 79
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 10:21 am

Re : BP Meds and Subsquent Pregnancies

Postby jshell4871 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 05:14 pm

Don't know the answer about percentages either but I will give you my story too. I had PE with baby#1 at about 37 weeks. Babies 2-5 no PE. Baby #6 PE at about 27 weeks Eclampsia at 29 weeks. After her birth BP didn't come down and 4yrs later still on BP meds. So Baby #7 BP meds whole pregnancy. She was born PE free at 36 5/7 due to her being my 7th c-section and Dr wanting to take no chance with labor happening.

moreheadcity
Registered User
Posts: 458
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 09:49 pm

Re : BP Meds and Subsquent Pregnancies

Postby moreheadcity » Fri Mar 06, 2009 01:06 am

Don't know the answer, but here's my risk factors..... I saw a peri a year plus b/f getting pregnant again. He told me I had a 5% or less chance of HELLP again and and 80% chance of PE IF i didn't get off my bp meds b/f getting pregnant. If I did, my risk went down to 50%. So, i lost weight, exercised and got off meds. No way I was going to start "behind"..........so, I'm on meds again at 25 weeks this second pg. I JUST saw my peri after the hospital this week and he must not remember what he quoted me but he's like, with your history, and your bps and bloodwork (uric acid and rising protein) you are GOING to get PE, its 100% just a matter of WHEN. I was thinking.......THANKS ALOT. Wish I would have known this like, a year ago!

blythe
Registered User
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 10:24 am

Re : BP Meds and Subsquent Pregnancies

Postby blythe » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:01 pm

I don't think % risks are additive... If you don't mind, refresh me on your history. What have you found out that makes you think your risk is so high? Have you met with a high-risk doc? These subsequent pregnancies are so scary, but we'll do our best to hold your hand the whole way!

mommy2maddie
Registered User
Posts: 147
Joined: Wed Nov 05, 2008 01:33 pm

BP Meds and Subsquent Pregnancies

Postby mommy2maddie » Thu Mar 05, 2009 09:29 pm

How many of you have started BP Meds at the begining of your pregnancy or were on them when you got pregnant and went full term without PE? Just wondering because I just got put on Procardia and now I feel like I am doomed to get PE again. I have heard that if you have chronic hypertension then you have a 25% chance of getting PE, is this already on top of the chance I have of getting it again because I already had it once? If thats the case I have like a 75% chance and that is so discouraging......


Return to “Ask the Experienced”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 18 guests