Im thinking we need more awareness

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
catherine
Forum Moderator

Re : Im thinking we need more awareness

Postby catherine » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 am

I believe that fatty liver of pregnancy is a differential diagnosis.... so if you see a patient with these symptoms you need to determine which of the two it is... because they are different syndromes and probably require different treatment approaches. I think that HELLP, while still pretty rare, is the more common of the two.

onesock

Postby onesock » Sun Feb 22, 2009 00:49 am

I don't know anything about it...just the not feeling well, swelling and weight gain along with liver involvement was blaring HELLP/PE to me. I am going to email and find out. Sorry..not much help.

lilillini

Postby lilillini » Sun Feb 22, 2009 00:41 am

My aunt died of fatty metamorphosis of the liver 3 weeks after delivering her daughter (though she had contracted a form of hepatitis while traveling in South America prior to her pregnancy)...is it related in any way to pre-e/HELLP? I don't know much about that condition, and Kara's comment was interesting to me.

onesock

Postby onesock » Sun Feb 22, 2009 00:37 am

I know, I thought the same thing. I might do that...you just never know if people are going to be receptive or not, but I guess if they let it go on the news, they are going to have to expect responses. I know the parents are obviously going through a lot, but if it was HELLP, then maybe??? Just the way she mentioned that she was swelling and wasn't feeling well sounds like pre-e onset progressed to HELLP. I think I will email. That is the hospital I delivered at.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Sun Feb 22, 2009 00:22 am

I suppose it could have been acute fatty liver of pregnancy, rather than HELLP. But either way, it's odd they don't mention the actual diagnosis. I see in the comments that a grandparent of the baby commented and I think you might be able to email them through their profile. You could probably ask if it was AFLP, PE, or HELLP. If they answer perhaps you can introduce them to us, and have them ask the author to post a follow-up column about Preeclampsia and the PF. And the family can perhaps utilize the forums...and start an Awareness walk in Des Moines!! :-)

onesock

Im thinking we need more awareness

Postby onesock » Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:53 pm

I hope I am allowed to do this, but this was on our news. They never mention pre-eclampsia, nor HELLP. I am thinking we need to get the awareness going in Iowa's capital for pete's sake. It is almost like it was avoided..come on people, lets educate and tell them what it was! If the mother was willing to give her name and babies details as well as details of what instigated the delivery and what her symptoms were...lets educate!!
http://www.kcci.com/news/18763914/detail.html

Return to “Ask the Experienced”