Such a dumb questions (sorry)

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
annamaria

Re : Such a dumb questions (sorry)

Postby annamaria » Sun Dec 28, 2008 11:38 pm

oh my GOD readinga ll what uworte and theythink its ok?....
i terified for you with the lack of help fromthat ob.. hes really bad...
im sure the new place will help u!!
hugs and ithink they might admitu with all those symptoms..
numbness in the face is no good. with me my half body on one side stopeed moving and started from my face was really really scary. it did come back but while itheppend was so scared.. please let the new doc to know baout it,,. hugs.. thining about ua nd ur baby...

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Sun Dec 28, 2008 06:55 pm

I can't wait to hear about your new doctors office - I hope that you get treated the way that you deserve.

Take care.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sun Dec 28, 2008 05:34 pm

I think you should be prepared and pack a bag with you just in case you are admitted. I can't believe they are blowing off all of your symptoms like this. Wow that phone call! Be glad that you are going elsewhere. Hopefully you can get the appropriate care.

~*missi*~

Postby ~*missi*~ » Sun Dec 28, 2008 04:14 pm

Alviarin, i am parked on the couch with my feet up and when someone is home to care for the kiddos, I park my self in the bed.
The facial numbness started the night before the appt and I told the old OB and she didn't even acknowledge it. My mom was astonished at the "laid" back attitude.
Tomorrow is the day. I am nervous, scared about the new practice. I just want to be "heard" or feel like I am being heard.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:29 pm

Missi, hang in there. I'm glad you have an appointment with the MFM soon.

I'm worried about you walking around with those severely high pressures, and those symptoms: "... headaches, spots, excessive swelling, periodic numbness of left side of face, reduced strength, pain, my brain is sluggish...". Are any of these symptoms new since your checkup on the 23rd? If so, I'd call the doc ASAP, whether it is your old OB or the new MFM practice. You mentioned that your urine dips are consistently 1+ to 3+ and that along with your other symptoms means you could be facing preeclampsia.

At the very least, in your shoes shoes I'd park myself on the couch until the MFM appointment. Don't hesitate to head to L&D tonight or tomorrow if you feel the need. Since you don't like your current ob I'd be inclined to head to the hospital where the new MFM practices.

Please keep us posted as you are able.

blythe

Postby blythe » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:11 pm

(Missi, I just edited the hospital name, email me - just click on "blythe", etc - with any questions.) I'm so sorry you're struggling with medical care and not feeling heard. Chronics are often allowed to run higher pressures but wow yours seem high. MFMs usually do know best, but keep being your own advocate. You know your body the best. ((hugs)) Please let us know if there are any specific questions we can answer. Hang in there!

~*missi*~

Postby ~*missi*~ » Sat Dec 27, 2008 09:46 pm

I start at the *** MFM clinic on Monday Dec 29th at 830am (yippe I hate mornings). They made me see the hideous OB to just be "checked" on the 23rd of Dec. So went all they did was deny the call, which opps mom was with me can't really tell us the nurse didn't say it to two of us. Bp was 166/106 when I got there in the left arm. The doc had me lay and took it again but wanted to do it in the right arm. Which I informed her naturally runs lower, and she chimed in with ohhh then always take it from this arm, lower is better. I said gee I guess my cardiologist that says take the higher reading didn't know as much as you. It was 155/94 so they said tata, which it wasn't that because before she got to the room my mom who is a RN took it and it went to 155/101. So whatever glad not to be going back.
I got my reports and the things they are missing and neglecting are amazing. They told me 1 number for my uric acid last time and the report shows it higher, my potassium, sodium and iron are extremely low. Never brought up which is astonishing since I have IBS/border Crohn's and that is something that should be watched. My platelets went from 314,000 two weeks ago to 201,000 this last test. Seems concerning but not to them. My protein 24hr urine they said I had at the hospital last time, well accordign to the lab paper work it couldn't be tested. LOL So I have no idea where they pulled those numbers from. I know dipsticks are inaccurate but mine are consistently p1 to p3. Never lower but would like a full count. Ohh there were quite a few labs that were off, never done or whatever. Its amazing to me they haven't killed anyone so I see the new clinic on Monday and we shall see where this gets me
They upped my meds to 1200mg of labetatol. I can no longer take Procardia because its triggering migraines. The labetatol isn't doing a thing, its still running 180/100 laying and usually 190/114 when up right. I went to the store to get diapers and things I needed so i checked it there. The machine pulled 171/114 with a pulse of 81, i thought the poor guy behind me was going to have a heart attack. he was like sweetie do you need me to call someone for you, you shouldn't be walking. So ...
I am just very concerned what this is long term doing to my body. Take the PRE-E out of the equation and just the hypertension. I never suffered with it before but know that my family history isn't great. My mom is on hypertensives and so is my gram, so was her husband etc. THey all have heart disease. My grandpa died at 30 from massive heart attacks, my mom had triple (suppose to be quad) bypass, and my gram has had a few heart attacks and tons of clots. Hypertension can cause cardiac damage and artery damage and I just am so worried that 17weeks this has been high is hurting me cardiac wise on top of the rest it can. I am completely uncontrolled. I have headaches spots, excessive swelling, periodic numbness of left side of face, reduced strength, pain, my brain is sluggish if that makes sense. I am just so worried that they are worried solely on her and I am being forgotten. I love my daughter and yes at 30wks I want her in longer but not at the cost of my life or my heart. I have 2 kids that are on earth already that need me too... Ahhhh its all stressful and worrisome. Who knows what tomorrow brings.

alviarin
Forum Moderator

Postby alviarin » Mon Dec 22, 2008 03:28 pm

Missi, just checking in on you. How are you doing? Did you get in touch with the peri?

jgrumet

Postby jgrumet » Fri Dec 19, 2008 03:52 pm

wow,

What a horrible OB. I am so sorry you are going through this. Try to wait to freak out about all of this until after you get to the OB. I know it is easy to when you're getting crappy care!

Try and get to the peri ASAP!

~*missi*~

Postby ~*missi*~ » Fri Dec 19, 2008 03:28 pm

Well I think I get more support and help from reading the posts here then I will at that hospital or that OB! Went in did all the checks, P3, everthing up but creatinine in blood, it was "normal".
The nurse and OB told me that it was because I am not on BP meds any longer. Which is ironic since it was the other ob in the practice that my research and concerns of masking because the BP continued to increase was reason enough to go off them. So they gave the dose after arguing with me about my body and my feelings (i guess not justified to be concerned). So kept me there and said rest and take meds. I asked would the meds reverse all the abnormal levels etc. no just stop siezures which I don't think is accurate either but haven't searched the answer out. So nothing done but make it my fault I am sick because I talked with a doctor and made a decision. funny my BP this morning and all day is still 166/100 something, on there glorious headache worsening drugs.
I got home about 11 ish i think. Rested and woke up with the kids etc. Got a call. Its the OB office. And this is what I was told. We will no longer address your blood pressure only treat your pregnancy. I said its a pregnancy related issue?? We no longer will address it you need to follow up with your primary care doctor. My primary will not treat it because its a OB related issue. So I was left basically SOL.
After hyperventilating crying sobbing freaking out.
I went to childrens hospital website and found they have a womens center. SO i called them and told them what the OB did. They said sweetie your high risk we can't see you, thinking SOB and beginning to cry she said no no no here is the number for our Peri/MFM clinic you need to call them and tell them everything. Sadly our weather here isn't greatest so they all are gone for the day but I did leave a message and number to call me. I will call back Monday again if I don't hear from them. So fingers crossed that they will see us and treat us quickly.
I called to get my charts ready for pick up. The lady says "its not our fault your unhappy here". Im like how is it my fault your 1/2 treating patients for what to avoid lawsuits. I said really do your job and be a good doctor you'd have nothing to worry about. ERRRRRRRRRR

So my drama continues and makes me SO FLIPPING happy to be moving from this area shortly after the baby is born :) Once Calliegh is here, home and healthy we are moving to Illinios and I can't wait!!!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”