preterm labor

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
mikesgirl64

Re : preterm labor

Postby mikesgirl64 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 01:55 pm

This is so interesting to me. With my first I went into preterm labor at 30 weeks and was induced for PIH at 37 after being taken off the bedrest and procardia. With my second I was dx with severe pre-e at 29 weeks and delivered at 31. Now with this pregnancy, I went into preterm labor at 21 weeks. I'm a little over 23 now and have a LONG way to go. But now I need to google the link. So interesting.

onesock

Postby onesock » Sun Nov 30, 2008 10:58 am

I didn't have any PTL with either of mine, however, with my first, and worst, I was in the hospital on bedrest for 12 weeks, not moving anyway, so that could have kept it at bay...who knows. Every body is different. Jamie-from what I can gather from reading this thread, it seems that they may be connected somehow as the body's response to deliver what is making such havoc in the mom. (Just my gathering of course)

jgrumet

Postby jgrumet » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:44 pm

Does anyone know why they're connected?

molly419

Postby molly419 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 04:51 pm

Very interesting thread. Looking back on my pregnancy with my first, I was showing signs of pre-term labor, but that was over shadowed by the fact that I had developed PE/HELLP very quickly and early. They had to take Abigail about two weeks after I was diagonised with PE that I believe the pre-term labor never was able to present itself.

Now, with this pregnancy, I was put on bedrest at 23 week for pre-term labor. Currently almost 26 weeks, I have not had any indicator of PE, but I am still being watched like a hawk for both the pre-term labor and PE.

scrapang

Postby scrapang » Sat Nov 29, 2008 02:25 pm

Through our ins. they have a healthy pregnancy program. The nurse called to "check in" on me and said she was sending out brochures about PIH/PE and preterm labor because they often go hand in hand. One of the risk factors in the PTL brochure is high BP. She said she was a high risk OB nurse. I just kept the convo at a min. because well, it's the ins. company and I really don't want to give any more info. than I had to. but if you use the program they waive the deductible for the baby for the first year so I signed up!

jana m

Postby jana m » Sat Nov 29, 2008 02:23 pm

I struggled with pre-term labor for most of my PE pregnancy. In fact, when my PE struck, I was on hospital bedrest being pumped full of Mag because my PTL was so bad (my bedrest total was about 12 weeks). For me it started around 13 weeks. Of course I was carrying triplets, so I don't think I'll ever know if the PTL was related to that or the PE, although I am sure they are all somehow related to one another.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:17 am

I think it can be. I started this pregnancy with very low progesterone (threatened miscarriage) and used progesterone supplementation. Then I had the uterine artery doppler blood flow study that showed notching of the right artery (predictive of pe in 85% of hypertensive moms). I have had contractions since 16 weeks with this baby. Two weeks ago, my peri did a TV US that showed cervical shortening. I "think" mine was 2.04cms and needs to be 2.5cms or more. That's just what I read on the screen. They didn't actually tell me what it was. I should know more next week as it will be 2 weeks since then. Anyway, I am on rest for it now. In researching premature labor, cervical shortening, cervical incompetence, I came across a lot of studies and journal articles that had preeclampsia as a reason for premature labor (among other things). What I read was it was a way for the body to basically protect itself. Kind of like get rid of what is causing the body to go haywire. In this case, cause premature labor to deliver baby. Unfortunately, I didn't save the articles that had that in there as I was interested in more what the measurements meant and not risk factors. I already knew I was at risk for PE.

julie f

Postby julie f » Sat Nov 29, 2008 01:34 am

I'm almost certain I've heard Caryn say something along these lines... I'll see if I can find it.

jgrumet

preterm labor

Postby jgrumet » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:40 pm

I started going into preterm labor long before I developed PE. My peri said this could have been my body's way of protecting itself. They artificially slowed it down for a few days and then I developed HELLP.

I'm just curious if this was common in PE and HELLP pregnancies?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”