preterm labor

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : preterm labor

Postby caryn » Wed Dec 10, 2008 04:14 pm

Natalie, it really depends on what that placenta's doing in that environment. I didn't have any contrax either -- went straight to PE, do not pass go -- but a lot of women have both, probably because the mom's body just wants to get the baby out. And a lot of women have PTL but no PE.

There's more overlap between the two than you would get, mathematically speaking, if they were entirely unassociated. So the theory is that the mother's body is responding to the demands of that particular placenta by trying to tamp down the invasiveness, one way or the other. If the baby gets too big, it doesn't fit out. :-)

threesparkles

Postby threesparkles » Wed Dec 10, 2008 02:55 pm

This is a very interesting thread, however I had ZERO signs of PTL, and was hooked up to a monitor for the last 2 weeks of my pregnancy. Maybe my PE just came on so fast that my body didn't know what was going on (cos I sure didn't!)?

jazymommy

Postby jazymommy » Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:16 am

I like many others am finding this discussion very interesting, I have just had my labor stopped for the 2nd day in a row, after having a day of some pretty scary BPs. On Saturday and Sunday my BPs were all over the place from 120s/60s all the way up to 170s/80s. Then on Monday I was having contractions every 5 minutes. They stopped it with a shot of something. Then on Tuesday I was having contractions every 8-9 minutes. They stopped it with a pill that they said is also a BP medicine. So at least for now my contractions have stopped and my BP is nice and low. At least I only have to make it 2 more weeks, I am 34 right now and at 36 they will just let me go ahead and have her. I also had PTL with my daughter along with PE. So it does appear that there is a connection.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:45 am

It can, I think, if the PTL pathways are activated.

On the other hand I didn't get but 6 hours or so into the Cervadil prep and had exactly zero contrax before my section. :-) It depends on which strategies the placenta's using, and my DH is apparently bossy.

fernie3

Postby fernie3 » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:21 am

hi
I had heard also that preeclampsia can cause very fast deliveries and short labours? has anyone else heard that?

just wondered because mine two were : 3.5 hours and 1 hour 20 minutes from first pain to holding baby - If it is true at least thats one part of preeclampsia thats not so bad!

sophie

sdeut

Postby sdeut » Thu Dec 04, 2008 12:19 am

sweatpea - I hope everything is ok.

I had PTL 5 days before developing hellp. At the time by BP and everything else was normal. After I delivered my doctor said the PTL was my bodies protective device so I didn't develop hellp.

sweetpea

Postby sweetpea » Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:21 am

This is very interesting! It seems this is the case for me as we speak. I just returned home from L&D, I was there to put a stop to PTL. I had PE and PTL with my first child. I am now 24 weeks with my second. I've had symptoms that I think are warning signs of PE, but all my labs and b/p are within normal limits. However, yesterday I started having some pretty serious contraction and a "softened" cervix. I am home now, will go back to the clinic today to come up with a "game plan".

preemomof2

Postby preemomof2 » Wed Dec 03, 2008 10:50 pm

I had preterm labor, started the same time I got liver pain...around 26 weeks with my second pree baby.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Dec 03, 2008 01:41 pm

Yep, as I understand it they're all ways to get the baby out of there. IIRC the idea at this point is that classic normal labor is triggered by placental changes -- the placenta "unmasks" itself to the maternal immune system, which starts to shove it out, and it goes along gracefully with this -- but PTL and PE can both be triggered when the mother's body starts to boot the placenta out before it's willing to cooperate.

hols537

Postby hols537 » Tue Dec 02, 2008 02:43 pm

I also find this very interesting. My doctors never said anything to me about a connection, but I had PTL with my first and had pre-e. With my second, I had some warning signs for PTL and was treated with 17P and terbutaline for prevention, but didn't develop pre-e.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”