taking labeltalol schedule

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
scrapang

Re : taking labeltalol schedule

Postby scrapang » Tue Aug 03, 638315 9:42 am

Thank you! That's what I was looking for, just to know I wouldn't blow up if I did! I ended up waiting and it came down in a couple hours before I even took the next dose. It happened again this morning. I got 128/91 so I know it was probably well over 100 but still not time to take it again for a couple hours. Within an hour or so it came back down on it's own again. I'll see my SIL this evening who is a nurse and have her check it out for me with her manual cuff. I did mention at my last appt. that I thought it went up in the afternoon but he said as long as I wasn't staying high it was OK. Just need to verify how high is too high even if it doesn't stay there. I also made my next appt. in the afternoon because I'm usually in there right after I've taken my dose. I've been trying NOT to check very often but for the next few days I think I will just so I can maybe get a pattern. I think the way it goes is highest when I first get up, then take the med. and it drops way down, creeps back up all afternoon, hit high again late evening but then drop back down on it's own, then creep back up until it's time to take the 2nd dose and seems to stay highish all night long. I don't know if he'd want me on more since I have those late morning lows, yet I think I do need it those first few hours in the morning when it's at the high point... so frustrating no matter what. Although I'm assuming sometime soon it will just go up and stay up and then maybe an adjustment will come.

fernie3

Postby fernie3 » Mon Aug 02, 638315 6:27 pm

hi
at the end of my last pregnancy I was on the maximum dose of labetalol which as i remember was 2 tablets (dont know what strength!) three times a day so 6 tablets a day in total. I was told to just take them when i woke up, when i had lunch and before i went to bed.I was in hospital at the time and they were doing my bp every 4 hoursa so i did notice that closer to the time to take them my blood pressure did rise significantly. The doctor simply said it was normal at to try and ignore the blood pressure readings since it was worrying me! probably not helpful but saved a bit of my sanity

sophie

mom29

Postby mom29 » Mon Aug 02, 638315 4:40 am

I've been on doses ranging from 200 mgs. a day to 900 mgs. a day. I've gone from taking it twice a day to three times a day. On a rare occasion (while not pregnant) I've gotten some high readings like 140/110 and I took the whole tablet instead of the half tablet (not suggesting you do that, just telling you what I did). I'm wondering if you may be due for an increase in your labetalol. Maybe you can get a new bp monitor to keep a more accurate record of what is going on.

willow&sam

Postby willow&sam » Sat Jul 24, 638315 7:40 am

I'm not a doctor and I can only say what happened in my case but, I was taking labetalol (200 mg) 3x/day so that was less than 12 hours between doses. I believe the concern is to keep a constant level in your body, that why they emphasize the timing. Because I have very difficult to control BP (#s always sky-high at night), my MFM has often played with the timing. Currently I take labetalol twice a day - first thing in the morning and at 3:00 pm - nothing in the evening. The bottom line is to call the doc's office and see what they say.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Fri Jul 23, 638315 8:37 pm

My peri told me to take mine before the 12 hour period because my bp was too high. Of course, you should consult your doctor to be sure that it is ok for you.

scrapang

taking labeltalol schedule

Postby scrapang » Fri Jul 23, 638315 5:16 pm

I'm on 100mg. twice/day. Nurse told me 12 hours apart was pretty impt. give or take 30 mins. I took it around 10am this morning. It's now just after 6pm and I'm climbing pretty quick I think. I've not felt right all day but I also have my glucose test this morning. I've checked it a couple times in the last hour and it's going up. I know my cuff monitor is quite inaccurate. WHat got me put on the lab. was when I called and I knew it was up, mine said 121/83 I think it was, when I got there I was 156/96. So really I only use it to know generally up or down. Like sometimes right after I take the lab. I'll get crazy #s like 87/59. Well right now I just got 123/88 so I'm fairly certain it's up there quite a bit. I really, really don't want to call my dr. For one thing I'm home alone with the other 4 kids. For another I know if they tell me to go to L&D to get checked it will go down before they check because well, it's just how my luck is and they'll look at me like I have 2 heads and I'll lose credibility or something! So my question is how impt. is that 12 hour span really? I know if I take it, it will go down and all will be fine. 100mg is a low dose anyway. I know nobody is going to tell me to take it and stand in for my dr., but have you done it or do you always stay on exactly a 12 hr. schedule? Has anybody else even been told that it's that important? BTW I was just there Fri. and was 102/80- I had just taken it (the lab.)about an hour before that. My next appt. is Tues.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”