cytotec for induction?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kisapaduga

Re : cytotec for induction?

Postby kisapaduga » Mon Jun 07, 638315 1:53 am

Hi!

I also started with a Cytotec induction. I came in to the L&D with elevated b/p and h/a, visual changes, etc ... so they started with the first dose of Cytotec at 1:30 a.m. (and started the mag), second dose at 5:30 a.m., and by 9 a.m. I was 1 cm dilated, 50% effaced. (I had not been dilated at all before). That's when they broke my water and started me on Pitocin, and I delivered vaginally at 12:40 a.m. the next morning.

It does make you crampy feeling (esp. the 2nd dose), and I was having regular contractions. But I'd much rather have that than to start right on Pitocin with a cervix that's hard, high, and not dilated at all! (Pitocin's nasty!)

Hope your delivery is quick and as easy as possible!!!

season
Forum Moderator

Postby season » Sat Jun 05, 638315 10:39 am

I was given cytotec as well with my first induction, 34 weeks. Th palcement of ti was not fun and was repeated, twice. Once it kicked in I had a constant cramping pain and I think it di dsoften the cervix, but it did not start labor. My contractions started with the pitocin. The doctor later broke my water. The combo did kick me into labor and even after they turnd the pitocin off - as the baby had some decels- my labor continued and I delivered a few hours later.

timelessbeauty

Postby timelessbeauty » Sat May 15, 638315 9:16 am

I was brought in the night before and given the string induction medication first which didn't do anything through the night. In the morning I was given one quarter pill of cytotec and then a second dose of the same a few hours later and went into labor naturally as my water broke on it's own. It was determined I would not need the pitocin at all and I tell you it was the most pleasant of the labors I have had yet and I've delivered four times thus far, soon to be five in the next few days. I wish you a very pleasant labor experience and a very blessed arrival!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat May 15, 638315 6:40 am

BTW, Summer, I'm not trying to be mean or to pick a fight. But the PF just *can't* tell people, hey, try herbs and acupuncture because Bad Stuff can happen if you listen to your doctors. Especially without justifying it with reference to real-life scientific studies that women can double-check for themselves with their doctors.

This disease kills women and babies. We have an obligation to present the best information to our readers that we can.

(People double-check *my* stuff. :-) See? http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31964 and http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31952 )

herewegoagain

Postby herewegoagain » Sat May 15, 638315 4:05 am

I believe they got me started with the cytotec. It definitely started the contractions (similar to the cramping Kara was referring to). I did have Pitocin later on to increase the intensity of the contractions. 17 hours later I gave birth vaginally to my DD with no delivery complications.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sat May 15, 638315 1:33 am

Summer, can you post links to any peer-reviewed research supporting the claim that Pitocin induction increases the risk of Caesarean? I'm under the impression that women at higher risk of Caesarean because of preexisting complications are also more likely to need induction, and that it's confounding the two to suggest that Pitocin inductions *cause* Caesareans. It's just that the population that needs Caesareans more frequently *also* needs induction more frequently.

Same for the herbs, actually. It's unethical to introduce unproven modalities; there needs to be some reason to think that they'd work to even start a trial, preferably some good argument from a molecular mechanism, and or at least good reason to think that they can't hurt. And unless women are *enrolled in a trial* designed to detect an effect, they shouldn't be randomly administered Just In Case they might do something. It's wildly unethical to do so.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Sat May 15, 638315 1:14 am

This was done at a hospital setting. Actually, the OB was so impressed by how fast hers went that they hired my friend! She is getting her malpractice insurance now. Her friend did her acupuncture, but Sarah is also an acupuncturist so she will now be on-call to do inductions. Herbs/acupuncture dont' have the same bad side effects (csections). Pit raises the chance of a csection. I don't think how high of risk we are determines how we get induced, as long as the herbs used don't raise bp's and the doctor okay's them. My friend was almost completely out of fluid and they let her do it ( I mean WAY out of fluid). Personally I'd rather have a complication free delivery! And so many of us who get pit DON"T have that! IMO. I can tell you the herbs started her labor pattern within an hour, cytotec takes way longer, it's worth a shot!

annes
Forum Moderator

Postby annes » Fri May 14, 638315 7:38 pm

I think that, unfortunately, most of us pre-e ladies are out of the herbs and acupuncture realm! I'm not a doctor, but I think that a high-risk pregnancy induction would probably need to be done in a hospital setting where BP's can be monitored and medications adjusted accordingly. I was induced with my first pregnancy with pitocin for 12 hours until my sons decels forced an emergency section. I know that once the pitocin started and my bp's started going up (from pain, I don't know) I was on the mag (yuck) and had some IV BP meds a couple of times. I do not know about the cytotec, but I would ask your doc why the different route this time. Good Luck!

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Fri May 14, 638315 5:03 pm

Just an fyi, my friend had low water and it was her first baby, she had her friend induce her with herbs and acupuncture, and she has a 4.5 hour labor/delivery with one push. Might want to consider doing that. I had cytotec and pit 19 hours and had a csection. I'd consider going the alternative route LOL.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri May 14, 638315 1:35 pm

I had cytotec without an epidural. It was very crampy. They told me the cytotec causes more uterine type contractions, similar to bad period cramps...only worse. I'm pretty sure I would take the cervical ripener before th pitocin on any given day, rather than going straight to pitocin. I actually never ended up needing pitocin. They gave me 4 doses (tablet, vaginally)over about 15 hours before things started moving...then she appeared.

I'm glad you have your date set!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”