How long before labetalol kicks in?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
lklein

Re : How long before labetalol kicks in?

Postby lklein » Sun Nov 09, 2008 09:34 pm

Thank you so much everyone. All of your comments have really helped. I had a pretty good day today. I had 141/94 upon waking before my dose of meds and then 130/84 mid day. I felt empowered, especially after a 177/109 before bed last night. I did have an EKG Friday and everything looked good and I go in for a heart ultrasound this Thursday. I know I was started on Procardia by itself after the birth of my first son, but I don't really recall having blood pressure issues--of course he was in the NICU for 21 days and my mind was not on my bps. I will keep everyone posted.

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Sun Nov 09, 2008 01:11 pm

I had the same thing happen with my first son - I felt so helpless and depressed. I felt like I would never be able to function normally again and started believing I would not be able to leave the house - every time I did, the BP would shoot up. It was a horrible feeling.

I started Labetalol a few days after delivery and it did nothing. I was in the ER one week post partum with BP of 202/115. They gave me propanalol, labetalol, and clonidine - that brought it down into the 140s/90s. Once I got home I was on 400mg of Labetalol 2wice a day and Clonidine as well. I felt awful! After 4 weeks, they had to stop the Clonidine b/c it was lowering my BP too much, and by 6 weeks I was back at work on just the Labetalol and feeling quite normal. I was weaned off of that very slowly - like decreasing the dose every 2 weeks. I was off all meds at 16 weeks post partum.

After that, I was back to normal - eating healthy, working out, working, playing - it was traumatic, but it did end! I am fearful of what will happen to me post partum this time, but I keep reminding myself that as sick as I got - it was a blip on the radar. I hope that just that knowledge that it will pass will make it easier to get through. Last time I was so discouraged and felt very alone.

You will get better! Just keep checking in with your docs and do what they tell you to do. Also, keep an eye out for other PE symptoms besides the high BP, and call those in if they happen. It's much easier to treat mom once the baby is out!

onesock

Postby onesock » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:43 am

Just wanted to chime in...I experienced alot of the same pressures and feelings that you are talking about after the birth of my second. I too was on Labetolol and my pressures were very high as well. It took me at least two weeks to get them down a bit (not low by any means). I was also obsessively taking my bp's which didn't make it any better...it just drove my anxiety through the roof :( My OB told me to take it twice a day and thats it! It was liberating not to be tied to that bp cuff and things did settle down eventually. Do be on the look out for the other signs and symptoms of PE as it can happen post partum, but in the mean time, try and relax and enjoy that new baby...that combo alone does wonders for anxiety and bp :) Good luck!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Nov 09, 2008 09:41 am

I wanted to echo what Lisa said about the high numbers being "not a big deal in the grand scheme of things". My cardiologist as well as the ER doc 2 weeks ago told me that if my top number was less than 200 and my bottom number was under 120 then to just go to bed and not worry about it!

Well it is impossible for me NOT to worry about numbers anywhere close to those but I understand what they are trying to tell me. They've done the tests and my heart is healthy so occasional very high readings are not going to kill me. I struggle daily *trying* to believe that.

robinskora

Postby robinskora » Sun Nov 09, 2008 01:18 am

I completely understand how you are feeling, and let me tell you this first you will be just fine. After delivering my daughter at 34.5 weeks due to preeclampsia back in March, I also experienced post-pardum preeclampsia for about six weeks. The first three weeks after I delivered Sofia was the worse though, because they just couldn't get my Labetalol dosage right. I felt like something was really, really, wrong with me at the time. My doctors had to adjust my labetalol 4 times and I ended up back in triage once (I was at the hospital visiting my daughter in the NICU when that happened). For a few days I was a schedule of day 400mg /noon 600mg /night 400mg. Then, after a few weeks my pressures started to come back down. But I remember feeling just like you, I was so frustrated and scared. I just wanted to take care of my daughter and not worry about my own health. So, just know this, you are going to be just fine. Your pressure will go down. :) I'll keep you in my thoughts. Keep us updated! I'm glad I read your post, this is my first time actually posting...I think I was meant to read your post!

willow&sam

Postby willow&sam » Sat Nov 08, 2008 11:29 pm

I know how you feel. I am 9 weeks PP now, didn't develop PE during pregnancy, but did have wild BP numbers. I am currently on 4 different meds for my BP and we are slowly getting it under control but it's a challenge. I'm still averaging 145/90 with 155/95s in the evening but, the wild swings are diminishing. One thing that helped me was that, at least in my case, my MFM said the high readings were a concern with regards to long-term organ damage but, with regards to day-to-day living, they were not a big deal in the greater scheme of things. I trust my doctor so, I've decided to just take my meds, take my BP readings and just live because if I think about the numbers and what it all means, I drive myself crazy.

With regards to how long until the meds kick in, I found that adjustments to labetalol and aldomet took a good week to kick in fully. This new med I'm on (Ramipril) took 2 weeks, if not longer.

Hang in there and know that you are not alone. Hopefully we will all get our bodies back one day!

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sat Nov 08, 2008 08:20 pm

I hope it kicks in very soon for you. About 6 months before my 3rd pregnancy I was dx with CHT but 1 small does of BP meds controlled it. While I was pregnant 100 mg of labetalol 1 time a day controlled it fine for about the first 25 weeks or so and then in ever increasing doses until delivery at 36 weeks.

PP my pressures have been awful - like the pressures you are having. 4 days PP I started on procardia in addition to the labetalol. I've changed BP meds several times since then trying to find a combo that works and I've been on up to 3 BP meds at a time. It's 10 months PP for me and just this week I had a BP of 188/112 so I know exactly how you feel about feeling helpless and out of control. I've started having panic/anxiety about it - which only makes it worse I know.

I don't write this to scare you but to let you know that it can take a long time to feel "normal" and get BP's under control. And you may need a different med in addition to or instead of labetalol.

lklein

Postby lklein » Sat Nov 08, 2008 04:12 pm

Thank you for the response. I really hope it starts to kick in. I don't know if its all my hormones right now, but I feel helpless and out of control b/c of my bps. I know it will get better, but I am really struggling right now.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:54 am

It took about a week before the labetalol started to control my bp. Like you, my bps were labile (up and down) and I think it took about two weeks before I felt like my bp was really under control.

lklein

How long before labetalol kicks in?

Postby lklein » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:12 am

Hello, I have been reading these boards for awhile. I had pre-e and hellp syndrome with my first son. He was born via induction at 34 weeks in april 2005. I just gave birth to my second son on Oct. 30th. My blood pressure went up at 32 weeks, but protein and liver all looked good. I was induced at 37 weeks b/c my blood pressure was increasing.
My bps seem to be even more out of wack since delivery. They have been really high like 197/112 at times. I have been back to triage twice. I was started last Sunday on Labetalol. 200 mg 2 x daily, we bumped it up to 400 mg 2 x daily on Wednesday. I'm getting some 138/91's for my lows, but got 195/112 this morning before taking my dose. I am scared and getting really sad b/c I feel like I can't get up to take care of my son. Can anyone tell me how long it takes before my bps startt to stabilize? I feel like I can't take much more of this.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”