How long before labetalol kicks in?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
jklinemn

Re : How long before labetalol kicks in?

Postby jklinemn » Fri Mar 06, 2009 07:43 pm

Good luck tapering off. I think it seems to take effect pretty quick as you decrease the dosage. You'll notice an increase in your pressures, and then they should continue to go down. Don't rush to taper off your meds, and make sure you feel good while doing so. Also, if you feel rotten and your pressure remains up despite resting, then don't be afraid to take an additional blood pressure pill and try again another day. It doesn't seem to be an exact science, and you'd rather take your time (unless your pressures are really low, which yours don't seem to be) - than to rush into getting off them and feeling the discomfort of having spiking blood pressures. Good luck!

mbshu

Postby mbshu » Fri Mar 06, 2009 07:28 pm

It is so great to have this group of you all to relate to. I have felt like no one else has known what I was talking about for so long and it has felt scary like so many of you said. I feel like the anxiety of taking my blood pressure is so bad some (most) days it is like someone is about to hit me or something. My husband says I get a look of complete fear when I put the cuff on. I take for example tonite and the first reading is 150/94, then I try to calm myself down wait 5 minutes and take it again (this is what the cardiologist suggested, do it 3 times 5 minutes apart and throw out the first reading). So I go another reading of 133/82 after 5 minutes and then a 3rd reading of 124/82. I should be happy with that but then I just worry tomorrow what it is going to be. I am tapering off the labetalol now also, it has been my 2nd day. Does anyone know how long it takes to effect your readings (I am tapering from 200 mg 2x a day to 100 mg 2x a day)?
Well thank you again for all of your stories and encouragement. I hope you are all doing well!

jklinemn

Postby jklinemn » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:57 pm

Hi again, I just wanted to chime in on the latest postings. It's really sad reading our past postings, it quickly brings back memories of how difficult this postpartum road has been. I struggled with pp pe after the birth of my second daughter, and had to make 2 ER visits as well for elevated blood pressures. It's amazing how lousy they can make you feel, and I was certain I wasn't going to survive at several points.

I'm 10 months out, and things are improving. I've had to slowly increase my blood pressure medications, because I've also continued to hover around 140/90s pressures, and I'm not comfortable with that. I'm currently on HCTZ 25mg daily as well, and coreg 18mg twice a day. I take the anxiety medications much less, mostly around my period it seems. I haven't had a 'spike' in pressure since January, and that's very reassuring for me.

I did see a perinatalogist in January as well, and she said that since all the tests have been normal that it is likely my body just wasn't able to heal from all the cardiovascular damage. She suggested close monitoring of my blood pressures and cardiac function, but to give it a full 18 months before I consider this permanent. So, it's reassuring that this road might still become less bumpy.

So, hang in there - and I found it very helpful to write questions in here whenever I was needing support. It seems that a lot of friends and family, and even the doctors, aren't able to relate to the emotional side of the problems - and people here certainly can.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Thu Mar 05, 2009 09:35 pm

I am happy to say my BP's are finally under control!! As of about the 1st of the year my new med combo seems to be doing the trick. I'm on HCTZ 25 mg once a day and Amlodipine 10 mg twice a day. I regularly have numbers around 120/80 and sometimes even lower. I am hoping with diet and exercise to be able to lose some weight and be able to take less BP meds. I doubt I'll be able to go of them completely but we'll see.

I was taking my BP twice a day (or more) for about a year PP and now only take it occasionally, a couple times a week just to check in. If you are still seeing high pressures then I think it's reasonable and prudent to take it twice a day and keep a log. My cardiologist told me the same thing about my pressures PP when they were regularly in the 150/95 range - that it wasn't bad. He wanted to get them lower but not to worry about them being that high in the short term. It is easier said than done not to worry about such high BP's even on meds and I did end up getting Xanax to take for anxiety/panic attacks. I rarely take it anymore but it was very helpful when I needed it.

Hang in there! And welcome by the way. Feel free to introduce yourself & keep posting with us.

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Thu Mar 05, 2009 05:34 pm

Labetalol totally kicked in for me the very next day after starting the 200mg 2x a day. I LOVE this med! My bps were very controlled throughout my pg.

mbshu

Postby mbshu » Thu Mar 05, 2009 04:49 pm

How are you doing? Do you continue to take medicine and do you take your blood pressure regularly? I take mine twice a day and get so worked up about it people keep telling me I am driving it up with anxiety. It seems to run 130/85 in the am and 140-150/90 in pm. With a higher reading here or there and a lower here or there. The cardiologist told me the numbers arent that bad but I feel like they are still high for being on med. He basically said I have hypertension yesterday so I think that it must be chronic now.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Thu Mar 05, 2009 04:34 pm

I am now chronic. I think that it really depends on your situation. There are women on this board who have had their blood pressure regulate itself as far as a year post partum and others like me, whose never came back down. In my second and third pregnancies, my bp rose before 20 weeks gestation so I was classified as being chronic hypertensive.

mbshu

Postby mbshu » Thu Mar 05, 2009 04:24 pm

Hi I just joined and was wondering if any of you had any updates as to what ended up happening with your blood pressure situations? I had it with my first child and it cleared up after 2 weeks. I just had my 2nd child and she is now 4 months and am still having high blood pressure problems. Am on both 5mg of Norvasc and 400 mg of labetalol. The numbers are still out of whack. Went to see cardiologist for the 3rd time yesterday and he just switched my med to Exforge, has anyone heard of this? Anyway I was just wondering if it will still go away or if it is chronic and if anyone got any answers as to why it happened.
Thank you!!!

babyemsmom

Postby babyemsmom » Wed Nov 12, 2008 04:54 pm

Just wanted to chime in! All of your stories sound so much like mine. I too had post partum pre-e with really high pressures. My daughter is now 16 months old and I still think/worry about my bp all the time. I have chronic hypertension, but I never even thought about it until all the traumatic stuff happened. I have had several tests on my heart too because I am scared to death that I am still going to have a stroke or heart attack. I know I am fine now, but it's all crazy! Anxiety can really get the best of you! So glad that we all have this website and we can all relate. I wish everyone the best with recovering!

jklinemn

Postby jklinemn » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:10 am

I have similar problems to you. I'm six month pp, and am again trying to wean off my BP meds. I found that I really needed anxiety medications. I did have to quit using labetalol, as that never seemed to keep my blood pressures regulated throughout the day. But, the anxiety meds have been life savers - literally. The symptoms seem to mimick my high blood pressures, and I do feel much better after I take them. I only take 1/2 a pill of xanax, and they don't make me drowsy, and they also seem to alleviate the symptoms and worry.

Nobody told me that this might be a long road after delivery, and this website has helped a lot. But, I have realized that if I want to enjoy any of this time, I need the BP meds and the anxiety meds to feel even remotely normal at times.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”