No urine sample? Does this sound weird to you?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
darateacher

Re : No urine sample? Does this sound weird to you?

Postby darateacher » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:07 am

Different peris have different ideas. My peri's office believes in dipsticks all the time, and a 24 hour sample ONLY if it shows as +2 in the office. Says for me, trace or +1 would be normal, due to previous PE and a history of having dirty urine at times.

jazymommy

Postby jazymommy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:03 am

I find it interesting that you guys say you are getting, even with a fight, a dipstick test done at every appointment. I am almost 30 weeks and they have never done one. They did two 24 hr collections both with slightly high results (306 and 354) but they still don't do the test at my appointments. Is this something I should be requesting?

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:43 am

I know, Crystal. It just made me worry that the nurse said the bp would be the tell-tale sign if something were wrong. THAT'S what got me! I'm not calling 'em again unless there's a real medical issue. It's not the peri I'm questioning this time...it's the nurse! ;-)

Adgirl- Isn't it interesting that we know we need a dipstick done every time but the nurses don't feel it's necessary? Don't they know how quickly PE can pop up?

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:42 am

Every time I go to the OB, the nurse says they don't need a urine sample. I always tell them that yes they do, and then they check my chart. They usually still say I don't need to do one, but give me the cup anyway. I insist upon a urine sample at every appt b/c of my history.

With my son, my first symptom was protein, so I always want that checked!

crystalw

Postby crystalw » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:40 am

Usually when they send you to an alternate location they don't dip your urine or even test your blood pressure. They usually leave that up to the Drs office. If you are going JUST for an ultrasound and not a dr visit then I wouldn't be concerned at all.

You peri can deny you care or "fire" you for things like non-compliance, being rude or inappropriate, bad debt and really legally thats about it. But technically second guessing your dr constantly can fall underneath non-compliance. I hardly think they would fire you for asking a simple question. How are you supposed to know??? Don't worry too much.

Trust in your peri.. its his/her job to take care of you. Don't fret the small stuff. I know its hard. :( Especially after a loss. But they really are looking out for your best interest.

darateacher

No urine sample? Does this sound weird to you?

Postby darateacher » Fri Nov 07, 2008 10:10 am

I'm going to an alternate location of the hospital on 11/24 for a follow up Level 2 u/s.

Anyway, they're bringing along a portable bp cuff, which is great. BUT...I had to ask for a urine specimine w/dipstick over the phone. I called to confirm that it was necessary. The nurse said to me that my bp would be more of an accurate determiner of things going wrong. WHAT??! I thought I needed both!

So, I said, normally, I get a dipstick done. I mentioned that I'm CHT. She then said that they'd make sure there's one over there for me.

First of all...Am I the crazy one here? Or is the nurse more right?

Secondly... do you think the peri's office can deny me care for being a pain in the neck and questioning things like this? I hope not.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”