No urine sample? Does this sound weird to you?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : No urine sample? Does this sound weird to you?

Postby caryn » Wed Nov 12, 2008 02:11 pm

That's what we usually see.

The numbers are 300 mg/24 hours for the diagnostic cutline, and 5000 mg/24 hours for severe preeclampsia -- so there's a broad range -- but it is useful to take those numbers into account along with all of your other symptoms.

Here's an Experts discussion about routine dipsticks: http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10642

jazymommy

Postby jazymommy » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:49 am

I have a follow up question to this... Once you have done a 24 hour collection and got elevated results, how often do you redo the test? Do your doctors have you redo the 24 hour collection every so often to check if the level is going up more?

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Fri Nov 07, 2008 01:27 pm

Thanks, Kara! :-) I truly hope the head nurse I spoke to doesn't think I'm a regular pain in the neck or worse!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:08 am

Yeah, that's the problem, if you are overhydrated, the dipstick might read clear, but if you dehdrated it could even read high when the protein is ok. Or, it can signal something.

Since they moved your regular appointments another week out, they probably have high expectations for you and think you're doing well. :-) And I don't think anyone expects you to let go of the hypervigilance....that's normal. Hugs!

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:42 am

Kara- Thanks. I got a +1 on the dipstick last year when the PE was first starting, and then, immediately did a 24 hour sample. I had 640mg of protein in my urine then.

Guess they're not too worried. Wish I could let go!

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:29 am

Like Sonja said, alot of OB's are not dipping until 30 weeks unless there are other worrisome symptoms. The dipsticks are so unreliable too, that they may or may not show signs of a problem. They shouldn't be relied on as a sure fire indicator. They are merely one more tool that the docs can use, particularly if there are other concerning symptoms. My first 24 hour urine was 1050mg of protein and my dipsticks were always clean or trace at the most. And it would not be standard practice to do a dipstick test for a follow-up u/s, particularly other than at your normal doctors office.

Dara, they would probably order a 24 hour urine if things with your blood pressure started going wonky, though they may also have standard times when they run a 24 hour urine too. But I wouldn't be too concerned about not getting a dip if it isn't there when you arrive for your U/S.

missgamecock

Postby missgamecock » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:25 am

My ob ALWAYS dips urine (well the nurses do it, lol). My peri has never done a dipstick on me. She has advised my ob that a 24 hr is needed, he usually has already ordered one anyway. As far as 24 hours, I'll have another one done this trimester (3rd) tha is routine. My ob said if my bp is high or something is off then I'll be doing more plus bloodwork. At my peri's, they weigh me, take my bp, do an US, doppler blood flow study, consultation, NST, and BPP.

jazymommy

Postby jazymommy » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:18 am

At least they are finally sending me to a Peri. I have been seeing a regular OB doc, even with my history of PE in my last pregnancy and the problems I am already having. So hopefully she will monitor more closely. I agree with Crystal, I think that a lot of doctors either don't know that much about it, or they think it is so rare that they dismiss the symptoms. I can't stand it when their explination of a symptom is "you are pregnant".

crystalw

Postby crystalw » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:10 am

They should be dipping every pt regardless of their history.. jeez. But honestly the healthcare field is so uneducated about pre-e. UGH!!

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:08 am

We have been finding on here that some OB's are not routinely doing dipstick tests anymore. I think that I would want them done - especially if I had had issues with it in the past. It could be that your OB does not trust them - as lots can effect them - and would instead rely on the 24 hour test which is a lot more accurate. Either way, I think that I would ask my OB what his rational is in not doing them.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”