Roll Call: who had postpartum preeclampsia?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
feelingblessed

Re : Roll Call: who had postpartum preeclampsia?

Postby feelingblessed » Wed Sep 16, 2009 08:23 pm

I only had pre eclampsia just right before I gave birth to my daughter. They released me on medication(after I had my daughter..with an extra day in the hospital just to watch my BP) with my readings being around 140/80s. I got to go home for one night and felt weird all night. I bought a automatic cuff...which later they found the dynamap kind reads me high...mine has to be done manually. But, it kept saying it was in the 170/80s/100. I had a horrible headache tha the lortabs they prescribed would not touch. The next morning I decided just to go in to my OB office to see what they got when they took it. At that point it was sky high...they refused to let me leave and put me on my side..contacted my doctor. He came in and said I was possibly going eclaptic. He was worried I would either have a seizure, head bleed, or stroke. So I was readmitted and put on the mag for 24 hrs. I stayed five more days in the hospital with my levels going through the roof and then back down to the 130s/80s. Finally they released me on 600 Mgs of labetalol. My presure was still running high on the next visit. So now I am on 800 mgs a day of the labetalol, 10 mgs of paxil, and clonipin when I need it. They put me on the paxil hoping my anxiety would go down. I am constantly scared that I will have a heart attack or pass out. I am scared mostly when home alone with my daughters or driving with them..I feel like what will happen to them..if something happens to me. I check my blood pressure all the time..I am blessed that my husband is in the medical field and bought a manual cuff/scope. I know I drive him crazy constantly wanting him to check it. I am a month postpartum and have had good days..on those days I worry the medication will bottom me out. So I can't win for losing. The whole situation scared me immensely and it seems like no one, besides my husband, understands what I went through. I would have to say it has affected me more mentally than physically. Physically..besides the meds making me tired or the headaches..I don't feel much of a change. Mentally it is on my mind near about all the time of the day. It really has affected my every day life and brought on panic attacks that make my blood pressure even worse. How do you guys cope and does it get better? I am so afraid this will not go away. On another note...I wouldn't have it any other way if it meant not having my little one. I see after reading some of the stories on here I was so blessed that she was born healthy. I just try to hold her when I get stressed and remind myself why my body is reacting the way it is...then look at her and remind myself that it was definately all worth it. This has also affected my oldest daughter as well..she is four and has special issues. She tends to freak out if I even mention I have a doctors appointment..for a few days after I got out of the hospital she would tell me not to go to the doctor before pre school..she was afraid I wouldn't come back. She just rememebers seeing me hooked up to everything and not being able to really visit me after my first day in. It's just been...an experience is all I can say. I am glad I found a board like this.

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:30 pm

KelliKBock, Thank you so much, I am still learning how to navigate around in here and just read this. I had a real bad day today. My emotions got the best of me. I am tired of feeling bad. I went for 6 week c/u with OB and felt like she really had no empathy for anything I had to say or have had to say and has now completely passed me on to whoever else I am seeing (neuologist for headaches, MRI last week all okay) vision still messed up and blurry...cardio for bp meds....starting to wonder if meds are causing headaches and vision....already been to Opthamologists, eyes are good. I am just so frustrated and tired of feeling so weird. My OB said it is not the PE anymore. So what is it??? She left the room with not even so much as a "take care". I AM STRESSED...

kellikbock

Postby kellikbock » Tue Sep 01, 2009 00:38 am

I totally understand what you went through. I too had everything come crashing down on me when I went home with our new baby. I just knew that something was off...and I was admitted back into the hospital two more times before finally coming home (this was all in Dec.)...The medications made me feel like I would NEVER be "normal" again. Well, my son is now 8 months old & I am still on medication. I am considered chronic & it took me a long time to be ok with that. I went through a lot of testing in the hospital, and I felt that I needed an answer for my BP issues. There wasn't an answer other than PP Pre. I am now on only 5mg of Norvasc and doing fine (praise, God). I see my GP every six months & monitor my BP once in a while. I was really obsessed with checking it when I first came home, and my pressures were all over the place (up, down...way up, down...& my pulse went nuts, too). I didn't know HOW I'd ever feel normal again. I wouldn't plan ahead for anything because I didn't think that I'd ever be able to do anything normal again. BUT, again...8 months later & I am living life again with a NEW NORMAL outlook. You'll get through this, and don't hesitate to ask for help from anyone who will give it. RECOVER & focus on resting as much as you can...make yourself relax and enjoy your new little one! Congrats! This too shall pass!

mellybute

Postby mellybute » Sun Aug 30, 2009 05:22 pm

hey everyone...I have been reading on here for a couple of weeks now and decided maybe I'll feel better if I acually share what has happened to me...
I have a 3 1/2 yr old son, only complications during pregnancy was gestational diabetes controlled with diet
My newest son was born August 2, 2009 at 37 weeks...It seemed with this pregnancy I felt terrible from the get go, headaches, tiredness, but I chalked it up to regular pregnancy stuff and the heat here in Houston. I started swelling around 6 months or so and got really bad the last month or so. I kept asking my OB is this normal? She said everyone coming in was swelling due to the 100 degree weather. Two weeks before delivery she did labs and a 24 hour urine sample just to be sure nothing was going on. all came back good. On August 1 (Saturday) I just wasn't feeling well and the doc had told me to go to a pharmacy and check my blood pressure at any time if I wasn't feeling right. I went and it was around 158/94. I called and nurse told me to go to L&D. I went to hospital and they did labs and nothing looked off yet but my bp was still high. The on call OB decided to keep me overnight and go ahead and my c-section the next morning. I was happy and ready because I was feeling so crappy and ready to be done being pregnant. My son was delivered the next morning and all seemed well. He was healthy as a horse at 8.2 lbs. and still is prospering well. I can be greatful for that. Praise God. They put me on the mag drip for 24 hours they said as a precaution which made me feel like crap and the next couple of days are kind of a blur recovering. They released me on Wed. and I went home although my bp's had still been fluctuating since delivery. They all assured me it was normal and told me to monitor it when I went home and if I got a headache or blurred vision to seek medical treatment. Went home and was home that night and on Thursday started developing a headache that progressively got worse that evening. At about 8:30 p.m. I started to feel really strange and my head started tingling on top of the headache. I looked around my room and saw shadows and my 3 year old looked at me and said "mom, what's wrong?" He could tell something was off too. I took my bp and it was like 180/107. We loaded up the kids and my husband drove me to the ER. They admitted me back into antepardom/ ICU, started me on the mag drip for another 24 hours and bp meds and diuretics to get rid of the excess and large amounts of fluid I had. My liver enzymes were off and now had protein in my urine. The on call doc came in and said she didn't know what to do with me because I wasn'r responding to normal treatments. Great, thanks. She ordered an echocardiogram to see if I was in heart failure. I was scared, terrified beyond belief. And all I kept thinking was, are my children gonna know me?? My bp stayed elevated over the next 3 days and finally my labs started going in the right direction. My heart was good and functioning properly. Praise God. I was released on Sunday on Labatelol 200 mg. 2x a day, Norvasc 5 mg. once a day, and Maxzide 75/50 2 pills in the morning. Go home and rest they said. With a newborn and 3 year old. Hmmm. Luckily my mother in law was able to come and stay for about a week and a half. I am now 4 weeks pp almost and my bp is still up and down. My OB tried weaning me off meds and it shot back up. I went to a cardiologist yesterday and they have now said I have chronic hypertension and could be on meds indefinitely. Yesterday afternoon my bp shot back up to 171/103 and all I have been taking for the past week is the Norvasc 5 mg. so they have added the diuretic back in once a day. Still waiting to hear more from the cardiologist. My vision has been blurred since going to the ER. I went to an opthamalogist last week and he dialted my eyes and diagnosed me with exudative maculopathy. He said I have fluid pockets on both retinas from the high bp. I go back next week for a retinal angiography to see if there's any bleeding of the capillaries. My vision has not improved at all. All of this has been extremely traumatic for me and my family, especially my 3 year old who knows sometings not normal with mommy. I am happy to be at home with my children, but I am scared at times too because I am here with them alone during the day and I fear something happening. I try not to think about it too much because the fear can be parilyzing. I have a lot of anxiety right now and even when I am able to sleep, have difficulty relaxing enough to sleep. I feel like I went from a healthy happy person to a sick fearful person in a matter of days. My 35th birthday was yesterday.

I tried to get on chat hear hoping I could actually talk to others going through this or similiar, but no one was on....

mkvh

Postby mkvh » Sun Jan 04, 2009 07:32 pm

Sheri--Like you, no one tested my urine PP, but I had the headache, severe swelling, and 160s/110s BPs on meds post-partum, so my peri gave me a retrospective PP PE diagnosis. (Actually, my whole PE diagnosis was retropsective b/c I never did do a 24 hour. Crazy, I know.) I *think* that if you have the BP plus "other" symptoms, they'll tag you with the PP diagnosis even w/o protein.

So yes I guess me! I left the hospital on methyldopa 3x daily and had a reading of 160s/110s at 4 days PP on meds. I also had a horrid headache a day or two later. I was initially diagnosed with PIH at just shy of 35w and delivered at 40 on the nose.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sun Jan 04, 2009 03:45 pm

Jenny - it looks like we probably had about the same due date since I went a week ahead of you at 36 weeks. Small world! My BP spikes are unfortunetly in the danger zone 170's/100's - UGH! I consider anything below 140/90 great so that doesn't say much for how high mine has stayed this past year. But this past week I had one day where it stayed in the low 120's/mid 80's all day - practically unbelievable! Today 130's/low 90's which is pretty darn decent for me.

About 3 months ago I was at the ER late at night with it at 188/114 - which is when I started on Xanax because they told me to just "relax" and stop worrying about it so much. Like I can just NOT worry about having a stroke and leaving 3 kids under 5!

I added 60 mg Procardia 4 days PP to my 300-600 mg Labetalol but developed an asthma reaction to labetalol and had to go off that (even though I'd been on it my whole pregnancy). I do get chills and flushing when my BP is high. Mostly I just feel blah - but then when I just feel blah for no reason I'm worried that it's my BP.

sheri-ct
Forum Moderator

Postby sheri-ct » Sun Jan 04, 2009 02:21 pm

Question for all of you-  I developed severe, sudden onset pre-e at 32 weeks. My urine went from <200 to >1,100 in 24 hours. I had a horrible migraine, blurred vision and bp was 170+/110.  I had an emergency c-section where I hemorrhaged on the table and was minutes from having a hysterectomy.  They were able to finally stop the bleeding and I stayed on mag for 24 hours.  My bp was great for the next few days, but just as I was about to leave the hospital it shot back up and my migraine/neck/back ache came back.  I felt almost like I did before I delivered.  They kept me overnight and started me on bp meds.  No one tested my urine b/c they said that delivery cures pre-e.  Could this have been postpartum pre-e?  I stayed on meds for 4 weeks.

Sheri

jennmojo

Postby jennmojo » Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:19 am

Trish - Our little ones were born just days apart last year! :) Thanks for sharing your experience; it's encouraging to hear of others who are still on meds one year pp. Sorry to hear about your struggle to find meds that work and you aren't allergic to. That'd make things even rougher! I've been through a few different cocktails of meds myself, and right now what is seeming to work is 30 mg Procardia XL (or its generic: Nifedical) a day, supplemented by Labetalol if my bp spikes too high. Even on the meds I am still getting bp spikes now and then, enough to make me feel rotten but not quite into the danger zone generally (my dr wants to keep it below 130/80, since normal for me is 100/60). When I get those bp spikes it's always accompanied by edema, dizziness, chills, and difficulty putting thoughts together. Do you, or anyone else who has/has had pp pree, experience any of this? And the day after my bp spikes I always get a rip-roaring headache that no amount of ibuprofen or Tylenol will help.

trish
Forum Moderator

Postby trish » Sat Jan 03, 2009 10:04 pm

Jenny I'm now just over a year PP and still seeing a cardiologist regularly to find what will work to keep my BP manageable. I think we may have found the right combo 3 weeks ago but I've gotten my hopes up before only to start spiking again or have an allergic reaction & start over.

And Kelli try not to be so hard on yourself - especially since it's only been a week. Try not to worry about doing stuff around the house - it's only stuff! You need to take it easy and let your body heal. Most people take at least 6 weeks and often several months to feel "normal" again. But I know what you mean - I'm still waiting to feel "normal" again & not worry about my BP or pulse all the time. (((HUGS)))

kellikbock

Postby kellikbock » Sat Jan 03, 2009 08:01 pm

I was re-admitted the day after I came home with my son. It has been almost a week since my symptoms first began. Now I am dealing with trying to get back to "normal". I haven't been able to do anything around the house yet. Every time I get up and do something my pulse begins to race (sometimes over 100BPM) and my blood pressures fluctuate. I am on aldomet 3x's a day and see my DR. on Monday. Hopefully, he'll be able to help me out. I've never been so discouraged about an illness. I just can't seem to kick this thing!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”