What is early?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
deerhart

Re : What is early?

Postby deerhart » Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:04 am

Most people would consider anything before 34-35 weeks early. The vast majority of people diagnosed are diagnosed at term (37+), though they are pretty underrepresented here (we tend (not all but just tend) to be the worst cases).

I was diagnosed the first time at 24 weeks. I had a tentative diagnosis the 2nd time at 28-30 weeks (ie: I did not meet the criteria but I had all the signs that it was coming) with the official diagnosis at 35.5 weeks. My first bout ended with 13 weeks of bedrest at 37 weeks. I delivered 2 days after my 2nd diagnosis (right at 36 weeks), but did have about 8 weeks of bedrest.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:47 am

Here is a link that I found from our experts about your question.

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=331

Pre-e is diagnosed with two bp readings of 140/90 (or higher) and a protein level of over 300. Typically it is not diagnosed prior to 20 weeks.

Take care.

kdreher

Postby kdreher » Fri Sep 19, 2008 08:18 am

My thought about "early" was the risk went up that it would be even earlier than the first time. I had a sudden onset at 26 wks, so the risk increased to have it again before 26 wks. I'm 23 wks now, all is GREAT and I suspect I won't see pe again..at least not as severe. I could be wrong in my understanding of it but all my pre-pregnancy tests are just guesses and I'm not even paying attention to them.

mikesgirl64

What is early?

Postby mikesgirl64 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 07:51 am

I keep reading (and reading and reading :)) everything I can get my hands on about pre-e to see if there is anything I can do besides what I'm already doing to try to avoid it in this pregnancy. A lot of information says your risk of developing pre-e in subsequent pregnancy is higher if you developed pre-e early in your past pregnancy. I was d/x at 29 weeks with severe pre-e and delivered at 31 weeks. So - my question...is that early? When do women normally get d/x with pre-e?

Thanks,
mandy

Return to “Ask the Experienced”