Baby aspirin to "prevent" pre-e

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
caryn
Forum Moderator

Re : Baby aspirin to "prevent" pre-e

Postby caryn » Thu Sep 11, 2008 01:33 pm

Here's a link to some of the recent research into insulin resistance and PE (scroll down a bit, it's a subgroup): http://www.preeclampsia.org/Forum/viewtopic.php?t=26469

I will try to bump a question up to the Experts about PCOS, as well -- we only have some older comments from them on the topic.

kdreher

Postby kdreher » Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:15 am

I have been on LDA since around week 8 or so as a preventitive per my OB.

deerhart

Postby deerhart » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:40 am

The last theory I saw on PCOS is that it is a sign of insulin dependency and that its the insulin dependency that is at increased risk for PE.

Laura may know more since i remember her talking about this quite a bit.

herewegoagain

Postby herewegoagain » Wed Sep 10, 2008 07:21 pm

lilsmom,

Yes, I have PCOS as well. Took me 2.5 years to conceive this time around, but am 20 weeks along now. I had PE/ HELLP in both of my previous prenancies and have never heard that PCOS could increase my risks for getting it. If anyone has any information on "why", I'd appreciate it.
By the way, in response to your original question, I am on daily LDA. I began it at 10 weeks after my blood tests came back showing some blood clotting issues (MTHFR as well as low Protein S). It will be interesting to see if the LDA (since this is my first pregnancy taking it) has any positive affect and if I will be able to deliver closer to term.

lilsmom

Postby lilsmom » Wed Sep 10, 2008 02:56 pm

herwegoagain,
I don't know exact sources but after having my dd I came home and did some research on why this happened to me (I always considered myself so healthy) and I found that pcos increases risk of developing pre-e. I've seen it discussed on this site but I don't recall where. Maybe you could ask an expert on this site. Do you have pcos too?

darateacher

Postby darateacher » Mon Sep 08, 2008 01:11 pm

I'm on LDA as a preventitive to stop any clots that may form in my babies' placentas. My Aaron had a clot of less than 5% in his placenta that caused his IUGR. I have no underlying disorders or clotting issues. The only thing my peri could say was that it was a fluke.

mom29

Postby mom29 » Mon Sep 08, 2008 01:05 pm

My regular OB told me to take LDA after I miscarried at 14 weeks. I wasn't very good about remembering to take it though. Then when I got pregnant again the MFM dr. asked me a few times why the OB told me to go on LDA. I wasn't really sure though! I *thought* because of the previous miscarriage or my cht. It was sort of a mute point because by then I stopped taking it since I was so hit & miss with it. Interesting at how all our drs. all have different opinions!

herewegoagain

Postby herewegoagain » Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:42 pm

Sorry for the thread jack, but I have never heard that PCOS is a risk factor for pre-e??? Can anyone give me more information on this?

lilsmom

Postby lilsmom » Sun Sep 07, 2008 09:47 pm

Thank you so much for responding ladies!! You've all been very helpful and informative!

I am so sorry for your losses Mrs. Spit and Fran.

I think I will just keep things the way they are and not take baby aspirin. I do want to clear this up though, my doctor said I could if I wanted to but she wanted to give me the disclaimer that it could cause miscarriage and it probably wouldn't help in any way. I would definitely tell her if I started taking it but I don't think that will be the case. I just feel like with so little evidence of any benefit I'd rather not be taking any meds. Also, I have pcos and I'm pretty sure thats why I got pre-e because I know its a risk factor. I've been tested for clotting disorders and I have none.

Anyway, I'm so appreciate for this site and all the help I recieve here because to me there is no better advice than that which comes from people who have actually been through the same problems/issues. Thanks again ladies!

fran

Postby fran » Sun Sep 07, 2008 02:43 pm

Hi,

I will get put on LDA if we have another pregnancy. I was put on it in my 2nd pregnancy at 10 weeks (1st son born at 26 weeks due to pe) but taken off it again at 17 weeks due to NAIT (i attack baby's platelets). My bp started to rise a week later and I was admitted at 19 weeks with severe pe. Mt baby didnt make it. Due to this outcome, I will be put on aspirin earlier in a next pregnancy (as soon as I have a BFP) and kept on it (the drs and we accept the risks with NAIT). I feel Noah might be here now if I had been kept on it. My placenta had blood clots covering +50%. Aspirin might have helped this.
I havent been told about miscarriage risks, but for me its worth the chance to avoid another stillbirth.

HTH
Fran x

Return to “Ask the Experienced”