Oh No. I think it's back again!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
marthap

Re : Oh No. I think it's back again!

Postby marthap » Fri Aug 15, 2008 09:17 am

You ladies are all so great! Thank you so much for your insight and your experiences! I truly appreciate it! I agree about the midwife -imagine she delivers babies? Yikes! I, too, would only have a medical doctor. I think I will take the advice and try to set up another consult with the perinatologists - at least to put a plan in place should things turn ugly fast. I have to say - I dread the thought of mag. I just dread it. As I am sure all of you have the same feeling and experience with it - I never got to see my daughter for 48 hours! Yuck. My bp is still very high. I am turning in my 24hr urine today and also having another bpp ultrasound. I will keep you all posted and again - thank you all so much!!

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 09:22 pm

I was very sick and my bp was alwasy low on my left side. WAY LOW on left side, WAY HIGH standing. The left side thing is irritating.

summerw77

Postby summerw77 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 09:20 pm

That's why I wouldn't deliver a baby with anything but a Meical Doctor. =) =) Especially if I was high risk.....................
Can you get a referral to an OB or peri?

mrs.spit

Postby mrs.spit » Thu Aug 14, 2008 06:34 pm

I think maybe the confusion about the whole left side comes from this: lying on your left side will lower blood pressure up to a point. At some point, things go so haywire that it doesn't lower bp, not even drugs will. So, in that sense I suppose you could say "it isn't full blown pe until we can't treat it anymore". I can see a bit of that, but things can move so quickly, and you can't be quite sure when that non-treatable point will come.

I sometimes think it would be helpful if they could have pre-pre-e like they have a pre-diabetic classification. . . .

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Thu Aug 14, 2008 05:53 pm

While it is likely that your condition will not improve until after delivery, how fast it goes down hill remains to be seen. One thing that I have learned about pe is that it is unpredictable. With my first, I did the average two weeks from diagnosis to delivery. With my 2nd I had PIH very early in my pregnancy but, did not develop pe until about a week before delivery. With my third, I had pih very early in my pregnancy and developed pe at 22 weeks.

I think that it is possible for you to still end up with a 37+ week baby. It will really depend on how things progress. I understand the disappointment of realizing that you will probably end up with pe again. When I got pregnant with my 2nd I had high hopes that I would not develop pe again. I had no underlying risk factors that could be detected. When I began having high bp at 17 weeks, my heart sank. I think that your hopes and dreams for a "normal" birth experience go out the window at that point and it is very disappointing.

melly

Postby melly » Thu Aug 14, 2008 05:25 pm

I had sudden onset pe my first preg and was wheeled into L&D at my 36 week appt and induced the next day. I had signs looking back in the two weeks prior to my dx but didn't know that they weren't normal preg symptoms.

My 2nd preg I started having some symptoms around 32-33 weeks. I had a 24 hr result of 285 and my bp was in the 140/90 range, so I was on the cusp of official pe dx. At 34 weeks I was put on bedrest. I'm fortunate that my DH was able to work from home and take care of me and our 2 1/2 yo son. I don't know what we would have done otherwise, but you do what you have to do like you said. I made it 3 more weeks. My bp's went down to 130's/80's and I dipped trace or +1 in the office. My swelling went down as well. We tried for 38 weeks, but made it to 37 weeks when we decided to induce because my bp's were suddenly in the 150's/98, my vision was blurred and I had floaters, and my heart raced anytime I stood up too long. I ended up with a PIH dx so I didn't get mag. I have 2 healthy children and don't want to go down that road again.

I think that trying to rest on your left side as often as you can is a good idea until you get your 24 hr results back and more guidance from your ob. Like Sonja said, not everyone will agree that bedrest works. It seemed to work for me and it can't hurt for you to get some rest right now. My ob told me to call day or night if I had a headache that didn't go away with tylenol, pain in my right side or black spots in my vision. I'm glad you have an ob and peri in the wings. I was worried the midwife was your primary doc. Its pretty scary to hear someone who delivers babies make a statement like that! I hope you get good results on your 24 hr. Update when you can.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Thu Aug 14, 2008 05:20 pm

I would take your rise in bps pretty seriously. Our experts look at an overall rise of 30/15 pts as a cause for concern.

It is hard to know what will happen from here on out. In your shoes I think that I would want to have a discussion with one of the Peri's in my group to discuss a course of action. They might look at bp meds or just more careful monitoring. Bedrest is controversial - many doctors don't feel like it is all that benificial, but as you can read around here many of our gals feel that it bought them lots more time.

Take care of yourself and let us know how you are doing.

marthap

Postby marthap » Thu Aug 14, 2008 11:36 am

Melly -

Thanks for answering! No. I don't see a midwife at all - she was just assigned to me in L&D while I was there. I see my regular ob and the peri group at the hospital said that they would take over my care if signs of pe started to show. I'm glad it is a good sign that my bp goes down if I rest. Like you said - it is so hard to rest with toddler but I guess we do what we have to do! What week did you deliver? Three weeks extra is great!

Martha

melly

Postby melly » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:57 am

You are seeing a midwife and ob? Do you have an MFM or peri you see as well? The midwifes statement about your bp sounds really wrong to me. The good news is that your bp responds to left side rest. I was able to get three extra weeks by being on bedrest. My bp's, protien and swelling all went down. I know its hard when you have another child to bedrest, but I really think it worked for me. Rest when you can and make sure you know the signs and symptoms. If you feel off go into l&d. 159/92 is really high with a baseline as low as yours. It sounds like you are getting the right testing done. The 24 hour will help determine what is going on. I had nst's 2x a week and bpp's once a week. As you know things can change quickly with pe so don't be afraid to go in and get checked out. Take care and keep us posted.

marthap

Oh No. I think it's back again!

Postby marthap » Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:28 am

Hi everyone. I am somewhat new here but I've been reading all the posts for quite a long time. Wondering if anyone can give me some advice. I am just 32 weeks right now. My first daughter was born at 31 weeks due to severe pe back in March 07. It was a horrible experience but she is fine now. Things had been going fairly well until the last couple of days. My protein was okay and blood pressures were really really good - 106/63, 110/65, etc. I was at the regular OB on Monday and had a little protein and my bp was 127/76. Not a big deal. Feeling a little funny since then and yesterday had an bpp ultrasound. I asked to have my blood pressure checked and it was 148/88. They sent me over to L&D and they did a workup. Still had protein (only +1) and my pressures were high - average of 148/90. I was so disappointed I started crying. I was really thinking I had escaped the dreaded pe this time. The midwife had me lying on my left side for a few hours until they started to come down. I was told that my labs were good. They let me go home and I need to start a 24 hour urine today. The midwife went on to tell me that I really don't have high blood pressure if it goes down when I lie on my left side. That statement totally puzzles me. I took my bp this morning and it was 159/92. I understand that if I lie down I can get it to come down but that it soooo not realistic. With my first baby - my bp would do that same thing until it progressed to point of no return. Doesn't sound good for me - does it? Does it seem like it can only go downhill from here? Any ideas of what I can do to hold it off? Thanks for any advice!

Martha

Return to “Ask the Experienced”