Fetal Anemia and PE??

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
marthap

Re : Fetal Anemia and PE??

Postby marthap » Tue Jul 15, 2008 02:56 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. You are absolutely right - I am certain that a blood transfusion can save a baby in this instance but the MFM's in my case seem to be either unconcerned or don't have the information or knowledge. I don't know how much they see of this as I am from a pretty small town. I guess that is why I am so worried. I can't even get them to answer any questions! I don't know what to do. Maybe they do wait until the baby is showing signs of heart failure although that seems extreme. Of course these are the same group of docs who told me I was going to get a feeding tube if I didn't start keeping food down when I had PE the first time!! Thanks again!

herewegoagain

Re : Fetal Anemia and PE??

Postby herewegoagain » Tue Jul 15, 2008 02:42 pm

I am certainly not a doctor, but my MFM mentioned about having done blood transfusions in utero. Not sure if this is an option for anemic babies, but thought I'd throw it out there.

What a stressful time. Our thoughts are with you for a healthy baby. Take care.

marthap

Fetal Anemia and PE??

Postby marthap » Tue Jul 15, 2008 02:07 pm

I hope it is okay to ask this question but....

I had my first baby in March 07. I had severe PE and she was born at just barely 31 weeks. I am now expecting my second (due at the end of September 08) and have found out the the baby is severely anemic for unknown reasons. I was exposed to Fifth Disease two months ago and was blood tested 4 times with varying results. I have had weekly ultrasounds for the last 6 weeks. As a result - each week the baby is getting more and more anemic. However, 3 out of 4 of my blood test results show that I did not contract the virus but I am not immune either. The perinatologists seem not to have any answers and are not at all forthcoming with information for me. I was told that the number I did not want to reach was 1.5 and I am now up over 1.6 reflecting that the baby is severely anemic. I started out at 1.2 and each week the levels have risen. The only information I can get from the peri's is that the baby is not yet showing signs of heart failure or hydrops. Great. Has anyone ever heard of this before and does anyone think it could be related to PE coming on? I have not been spilling protein and my BP is good right now. I do have blood in my urine (I test myself). Anyone who has any ideas or info for me would be deeply appreciated. I am trying (without much luck) to get a second opinion from another peri. Thanks so much!!

Martha

Return to “Ask the Experienced”