Hands really bother me - any suggestions?

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
willow&sam

Re : Hands really bother me - any suggestions?

Postby willow&sam » Tue Apr 01, 638302 4:56 pm

I know I had mine custom made by an occupational therapist (I was still working at the time). I know a lot of people have had success with ones that you buy at the pharmacy. My insurance covered most of the costs involved.

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Tue Apr 01, 638302 2:57 am

My Drs office had the splints there and I just had to be fitted. I'm not sure if they are different from drug store ones or not but they did seem to help. After DS was delivered, I did not need to use them any more.

(If I remember correctly, insurance covered the cost.)

ilovecow

Postby ilovecow » Mon Mar 31, 638302 10:40 pm

Thanks everyone!!! I will definitely mention this to my doctor, but I bet you guys are right. If it is CP, will it go away after my swelling goes down (hopefully sometime after delivery)? Jana - you said it continued after pregnancy - is that because you still had swelling?

Do you have to get splints that are custom made, or can I send my husband out to get these at Walgreens or something?

Thanks again, everyone... this isn't the worst thing in the world. Just annoying and uncomfortable. But I'll try the splints and trying to keep my hands cool does seem to feel really good too.

willow&sam

Postby willow&sam » Sun Mar 30, 638302 12:42 pm

I'm going with the majority and blamming carpel tunnel. Wirst splints did wonders for me. I actually had two sets - one for sleeping where I couldn't move my hand or fingers and another for day use where the wirsts were stabalized but the fingers were free. If they bother you too much at night, just wearing them in the day helped me a lot. Sometimes I would wear only one at night - it was having both hands immobilized that kept me up. Good luck.

mom2ella

Postby mom2ella » Fri Mar 21, 638302 2:22 pm

I have carpal tunnel anyway (even non-pregnant) so I already had the splints. They stink to sleep in but when my CT starts acting up I wear them to bed for a week or so and it has always improved some. I also lent them to a friend that had it bad with her pregnancy and she said they started helping her right away. Good luck...I know it hurts!!

jana m

Postby jana m » Fri Mar 21, 638302 6:14 am

I had terrible carpal tunnel in pregnancy (both hands) and to be honest, it never really went away completely. I agree with others....wrist splints should give you some relief, but definitely bring it up with your doc.

jen44

Postby jen44 » Fri Mar 21, 638302 1:33 am

I'm right there with you - all the same symptoms and i wake up in the night with major pain in my wrists like they are on fire, aching fingers, numb and tingling. I bought splints but they drove me crazy trying to sleep so I'm just dealing with the pain as it comes and trying to keep my wrists flat as often as possible. I'm not on bedrest or even hypertensive yet but the swollen fingers are disconcerting!

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Thu Mar 20, 638302 10:27 pm

quote:Originally posted by AundAPenner

let your doc know, because well, in my opinion, our job is to arm them with our symptoms, their job is to deliver a healthy mom and baby.

HTH.

Couldn't have said it better myself!

(And yep, it sounds like carpal tunnel - and a set of splits are probably in your future.)

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Thu Mar 20, 638302 9:40 pm

Sounds like carpal tunnel to me, from an experienced background (but by no means medical!).

They (meaning docs) recommend wrist splints to position the hand properly. They will help somewhat.

I had very similar things that you're describing around 28 weeks, when I was put on bedrest. In a way I was glad to be put on bedrest and no longer work because I had a desk job and could almost not type anymore it hurt so much!

Tylenol helps me with some of the swelling (I'm a long-time sufferer of carpal tunnel, not just during pregnancy) as does keeping my hands "cool" with an ice pack or cool cloth.

I'd also be sure to let your doc know, because well, in my opinion, our job is to arm them with our symptoms, they're job is to deliver a healthy mom and baby.

HTH.

amarah

Postby amarah » Thu Mar 20, 638302 7:28 pm

My hand do this too, I find it better to sleep w/ my arms wrapped around a pillow. It helps keep them elevated a little bit, I switch from side to side a few times a night. They still bother me, but just not as much. Hope this helps

Return to “Ask the Experienced”