question about seeing a hemotolgist

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
haileysmom

Re : question about seeing a hemotolgist

Postby haileysmom » Tue Jan 17, 638299 4:05 am

You will probably have a consult and the dr. will order a panel of blood tests to check for underlying disorders (clotting disorders and possibly others). I had this done prior to pregnancy due to severe PE and HELLP w/ my first. I think the standard test is a coagulation panel. It took a few weeks to get the result and they took about 15-16 vials of blood. I tested positive for Factor V Leiden which can cause severe PE and HELLP and my Hematologist recommended Lovenox injections for my entire pregnancy. I'm now 36 weeks and all is well!!

jenseib

question about seeing a hemotolgist

Postby jenseib » Tue Jan 17, 638299 1:20 am

When I had my initial round of pregnancy blood work on March 27th my platelet count was 147,000. Then I had a second round of blood work ordered by my high risk doctor. This was done on May 17th and when I got the results back my platelet count had dropped to 132,000. While he said this number is nothing to be too concerned about, he wants me to see a hemotologist to check for underlying problems. My question is, what can I expect when I visit this doctor?
Thanks for your response,
Jen

Return to “Ask the Experienced”