Autoimmune Questions???

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
hvsmith

Re : Autoimmune Questions???

Postby hvsmith » Fri May 16, 2008 04:28 pm

Amanda -- one more thing. I just noticed that you mentioned you have an elevated sed rate and high rheumatoid factor. When I had Still's Disease, I also had both of those things. Not to say you have the same thing, but the itchy rash was my first presentation as well.

hvsmith

Postby hvsmith » Fri May 16, 2008 04:22 pm

Amanda,

When I was about 20, I developed Still's Disease, which is an autoimmune condition. It's definition is Juvenile Rheumatoid Arthritis in an adult. It's Still's Disease if it shows up after childhood. Anyway, this HORRIBLE illness manifested as a rash first, extremely itchy, and was eventually all over. I actually cut my skin scratching so much because nothing would help the itch go away. Eventually I also hobbled like a little old lady because of the arthritis component. I was supposed to have relapses through my life, but never did, thankfully. I also have a positive ANA, but after testing, my OB told me that a positive ANA by itself was not a diagnostic factor for any illness and should not have contributed to my miscarriages or PE. It could have been positive because of the Still's.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Postby amanda » Fri May 16, 2008 02:20 pm

Sort of...
They referred me to a rheumatologist for more testing.
I was positive on the ANA test with a high positive and on the rheumatoid factor test along with an elevated sed rate. My rash is driving me CRAZY however - I literally cannot sleep all night without waking up and scratching to the point that I now have bruises on my arms from scratching so much. I'm making a really lovely look for myself for summer but I'm thinking that it's been *at least* a few years since I've dove out into the sun that one more of staying tan free won't hurt.

The rash is annoying and driving me crazy but the thing that is scaring me are the gait issues I'm having. I fell going UP the stairs this morning while I was carrying Anna Grace. I didn't hurt her but I guess that going up OR down the steps is now pretty much something that I've stopped doing with the baby in my arms. I wasn't afraid to go UP the steps and let one of the girls carry her down but when I tripped over the step going UP it was concerning. Perhaps I'm just being too absent minded right now though!

I'm thinking that they will get it sorted out. I think, that after all of this throughout the years (proteinuria, high blood pressure, etc) that it will wind up being either Lupus or something that is unique (because, after all that is what I am - LOL) which will really kind of tick me off because THAT should be something that they could have figured out a long time ago.

Thanks for asking, if you have any other ideas of tests that they should run let me know!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Fri May 16, 2008 01:12 am

Amanda, have you found out any more about this?

A lot of the autoimmune diseases have "flares" that can manifest in different systems. Scalp psoriasis, for example, means itchy rashes on the scalp and a predisposition towards psoriatic arthritis, particularly in the hips.

I hope they're able to sort this out for you -- and that maybe it's just residual pregnancy fussiness.

kim

Postby kim » Mon May 12, 2008 10:12 pm

One autoimmune disease that can cause a rash is Grave's Disease. I have Grave's Disease and Hashimoto's... Both autoimmune thyroid disorders. I dealt with some clumsiness, etc... Just because your thyroid is normal doesn't mean that you don't have the Graves/Hashi's antibodies. Have you seen an endocrinologist?

Take Care
Kim

jamie w

Postby jamie w » Mon May 12, 2008 11:11 am

Amanda,
I wish I had some wisdom for you but it seems in this area I'm just plain ol' ignorant. It must be scary for you though and I hope you get your results back soon. Please keep us posted.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Mon May 12, 2008 10:17 am

Hi Amanda - There was a discussion on this forum about a week back about a link between rashes and autoimmune diseases. Hopefully someone knowledgable about it will come and comment, but in the meantime here is a link to the previous discussion.

http://www.preeclampsia.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28353

Hope this helps.

amanda
Forum Moderator

Autoimmune Questions???

Postby amanda » Mon May 12, 2008 09:40 am

I have a couple of questions that I was wondering if you guys either had information on or if you had experienced.

Background: Anna Grace was my first pregnancy that went as long as it did - I had many miscarriages prior (and was the reason that we adopted our first two girls) to her birth, including 3 immediately preceeding. For some reason, she stuck! I have also always spilled a baseline proteinuria of 500 mg or so and have hypertension from the kidney disease. During this pregnancy I had superimposed PE, PIH, and a small placenta.

After this pregnancy I have had several interesting things start - first, I have a very strange rash that isn't responding to any treatment so far, I've fallen several times - like I 'miss' a step, and when I try to go from a sitting position to standing my hips and knees hurt.

When I went to the doctor this week my blood pressure was suddenly very high (as in 140/105) so they played with my meds but also ran several immunity tests - you know the ones that 10 vials of blood.

Question: Other than ms or lupus, what other types of autoimmune issues could they be thinking of? Do you run those autoimmune tests for ms? I know that PE can bring out underlying symptoms so I am bit concerned (and honestly the real thing that concerns me is the 'missing a step' symptom).

Anything you guys could offer would be great - I am really hoping that this turns out to be nothing though.

Thanks in advance!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”