question

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
summerw77

Re : question

Postby summerw77 » Wed Apr 30, 2008 09:38 pm

I had a lung amnio at 36 weeks and delivered that day. The amnio that is a bit more dangerous is for down's at 18-22 weeks, because it can cause miscarriage in 1 in 200 women (I believe that's the # now). Anyways, if it sends you into labor at 36 weeks, no harm done! When they did my lung amnio they popped a rather large pocket of water, so it does happen, but I could have stayed prego. Not that I wanted to with bp's of 200/110 the week prior and all LOL. Anyways, I'd take it, especially with early onset pre-e!

If you do it btw, look at the fluid when it comes out. If it's cloudy, they are more likely mature. If clear, probably not. =) =) I took a nice eye pillow in and didn't watch any of it. It didin't hurt me a bit. IV's are much worse. I'd take 10 amnio's over 1 IV.

2b2g

Postby 2b2g » Wed Apr 30, 2008 08:47 pm

I had an amnio with my last pregnancy. It was no big deal. Just don't look at the needle and you'll be fine. Remember it's not the length of the needle you feel but the diameter and it's tiny.

sactolisa

Postby sactolisa » Wed Apr 30, 2008 02:54 pm

I've had amnios with all three of my pregnancies. I had them early (around 17-18 weeks) because of bad results on my AFP screens. It's really not too bad. I was never numbed for it. I don't see the point since the needle stick from the numbing shot probably hurts as bad as the stick from the amnio needle.

Anyway, I felt the first stick and then a little cramping when the (very very thin) needle went in my uterus. It was uncomfortable, but not that bad and it was pretty much the same experience all three times.

Ironically, I never had an amnio to check for lung maturity. My first was induced at 36 weeks after 8 weeks of aldomet and bed rest to try to control my blood pressure. My second was induced at 37 weeks due to my rising bp and history (but no meds or bedrest that pregnancy!)

I'm currently 27 1/2 weeks pregnant with my third and have had a couple of elevated bps at my clinic visits. I'm hoping to hang in there, but prepared that this one will be induced early as well.

I've lurked on this board since my first pregnancy in '02, and have found it very supportive and helpful through my pregnancies. Thanks everyone!

(and I didn't mean to hijack... back to the amnio discussion!)

aggie95mom

Postby aggie95mom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 02:32 pm

I haven't had an amnio for lung maturity, but I did have the CVS test this time around and my understanding is it's somewhat similar, though I think the needle may stay in longer with an amnio for them to draw off enough fluid. They gave me a numbing shot first (two actually) and I didn't even feel the actual needle go in until they took the sample. Uncomfortable, but not unbearable.

I'm sure someone with actual amnio experience will stop by. I'll be curious to see the response, because I think I'll be facing an amnio, too, to see if I'm ready to deliver at 37 weeks.

haileysmom

Postby haileysmom » Wed Apr 30, 2008 01:51 pm

My C-section is set for 39 weeks so I can avoid the amnio. I still think 39 weeks is pushing it for me but if I start to get sick it will be pushed up. My OB told me that if the have a planned induction/c section before 39 weeks they are supposed to order an amnio to verify lung maturity. My sister had to have one and it didn't sound too pleasant but they had to do hers twice since they couldn't get fluid the first time.

hhbeachgurl

Postby hhbeachgurl » Wed Apr 30, 2008 01:42 pm

I was supposed to have an amnio at 36 weeks and then be delivered if I made it that far and the amnio was good. It poses more of a risk when they do an early amnio such as to test for genetic problems, the amnio's done to check lung maturity are not so much of a risk because if your water does break or you develop a leak, the baby is near term. I ended up being induced before then with no amnio as a medical neccessity

rebeccac

Postby rebeccac » Wed Apr 30, 2008 01:33 pm

Not sure about an amnio. I was induced at 35 weeks without one as PE and HELLP were moving very fast. I'm sure others will add their experiences. Good luck!

korie

Postby korie » Wed Apr 30, 2008 01:11 pm

Ok anyone had an amnio before? Is it terrible?

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:44 am

I know that at the hospital that I delivered at they had to do an amnio for delivery before 39 weeks unless the delivery was medically necessary (ie your bp was out of control or you or babies life was in danger.) I know that for me my Peri wanted me delivered between 37-39 weeks with my second go round because he was worried about pre-e hitting again, but since I was doing okay and this was just a precaution my OB wouldn't set an induction until 39 weeks because she did not want me to have to go through an amnio.

Take care.

hvsmith

Postby hvsmith » Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:15 am

Oh, also, maybe you can still do the 24 hour urine. Just make sure you use the first morning urine from tomorrow, and include one more time after that (up until the end of 24 hours.) I think that would be ok.

Heather

Return to “Ask the Experienced”