24 hr protein results > 150mg

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kathleen125

Re : 24 hr protein results > 150mg

Postby kathleen125 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:24 am

Smsusa, I will keep my fingers crossed for you. You are in my prayers.

smsusa

Postby smsusa » Wed Apr 16, 2008 09:04 am

I had a dr appointment yesterday and am repeating the 24 hr urine today (fun, fun). My bp was a little higher yesterday, but they have a new automatic bp machine and I am under a little stress since my grandfather passed away on Sunday and we're trying to make funeral arrangements. So, I'm repeating the test and will go back next week for a bp machine before I leave for the funeral.

kathleen125

Postby kathleen125 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 00:35 am

Ok, so I am hearing mg of protein...when I was admitted last September for turned out to be severe preeclampsia...the small urine sample had 8 grams of protein...my 24 hour had 11grams...needless to say I was bumped from 3 weeks bed rest to emergency c-section at 31 weeks. I now have a healthy 7 month old...though I will be under a watchful eye when I get pregnant again...This website and forums have helped me immensely to understand preeclampsia and how it affects you. I am glad to have found this place to help me.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:37 am

If your OB thinks that the leakage affected the results, he will probably just order a new test, which he would probably do anyways in time since you are spilling some protein. Some gals on here spill a bit of protein their whole pregnancies and nothing comes of it, but it is something to watch closely.

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Mon Apr 14, 2008 07:34 pm

I don't know how much your spill affected the outcome of your test but, I would try not to worry too much yet. The amount of protein in your urine can vary quite a bit from day to day. I think that your repeat 24 hour test will give you a better idea how your kidneys are doing. Keep us posted!

jonandkatsmom

Postby jonandkatsmom » Mon Apr 14, 2008 07:06 pm

I have heard different things from different people about protein. What I experienced was that the peri did not get very concerned until my protein started approaching 1000. When it was 200-400 she still watched it closely (did the 24 hr at least once a week) but she did not seem alarmed. A nurse told me in the hospital when it was 295 that she could "spill a 295 after a hard day's work" :)

smsusa

24 hr protein results > 150mg

Postby smsusa » Mon Apr 14, 2008 05:17 pm

A little history. My mom had toxemia with both me and my sister. I developed preeclampsia when pg with my first around 31/32 weeks. A 24 hr urine test at 34 weeks gave me a 370mg for protein. I didn't seem to have bp issues, only swelling and dizzyness (which put me in L&D overnight at 34 weeks). I ended up being induced 13 days before my due date.

Fast forward to this pregnancy. No bp/swelling symptoms. My dr are keeping an eye on me for preeclampsia and I did a baseline 24 hr urine early on. I'm 31 weeks and just did another 24 hr urine test last week. My jug leaked between my 2nd to last and last collection (guess I didn't get the lid on tight enough when I collected at 3am). I took my jug in anyway and told them what happened. They kept asking how much I lost, and I don't think I lost that much...They went ahead with sending it to the lab.

My lab results are back and are 'inconclusive'. The protein read 219.6mg. I know normal is 30-150mg and to be diagnosed with preeclampsia, the reading has to be more than 300mg. I really don't think I lost that much urine, but how do you think that would have affected the results? Maybe the protein reading would be a little less, but I think I'm still looking at a higher than normal reading. And, if it is higher than normal, does that mean I'm right on track for developing preeclampsia again? I'll be seeing my dr tomorrow and she's already told me I'll be repeating the 24 hr urine.

Thanks!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”