BP high at home vs. low in clinic - still an issue

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
ladybug76135

Re : BP high at home vs. low in clinic - still an issue

Postby ladybug76135 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:39 pm

A properly fitted cuff should overlap 2-3 inches (where the velcro connects to it) and the person taking the BP should not be able to slip their finger in between the cuff and the arm. It should not be so tight that it cuts off blood flow. It sounds to me as if they're not fitting their cuffs well.

On a side note- every time you take my BP with an electronic machine it is LOTS higher than with a manual. I have a congential malformation of the ulnar nerve that puts it in a spot where it gets impinged easily. The BP machines go so high and put so much pressure on the nerve that I have shooting pains down my arm and into my fingertips; of course, my BP is sky high with the dumb thing. It took me a LOT of explaining and demanding for manual pressures only to convince my OB. At one point a dumb tech told my nurse that my pressure was 250/150. The nurse came running in to me laughing and telling her to go get the manual cuff and fire the dumb tech.

Do you have a trusted nurse friend who could come to your house and do manual and machine comparisons as a favor for you?

korie

Postby korie » Tue Apr 08, 2008 09:08 pm

This is totally an issue for me too, I think my nurse is a moron and can't do it right! I would keep taking it at home too. Have you tried the ones in the store? then you can at least tell them that you tried another machine and you are getting the same numbers.

haileysmom

Postby haileysmom » Tue Apr 08, 2008 05:07 pm

I have an Omron machine too and it says to take BP, wait 2-3 minutes and take it again. If it's lower the 2nd time use that reading. You can also try to take it a 3rd time 2-3 minutes later and see if it's changed. It will level out at some point and that's what your BP is. Mine is always higher the first time I take it and levels out by third time. I also make sure to have my arm elevated to heart level, and the cuff on tight enough. I've had my husband and mother take their BP's w/ my cuff to test it and it appears to be correct. (my bp is usually higher at the OB but that's a white coat thing).

staceynw

Postby staceynw » Tue Apr 08, 2008 04:54 pm

Kara, I know that my cuff is the right size for my arm. It is an XL cuff and it actually fits better than the ones in the doctors office. The one's in the office are so wide in addition to being longer for a larger arm. My arm isn't very long from shoulder to elbow, so the office cuffs tend to slide down some, where mine doesn't at home. Confusing!!!

Bed rest is okay, what little of it I actually get. This running to Madison twice a week takes a big chunk out of it. Then I have to have Kayce on Wed and Fri . . . just can't afford daycare while I'm off work and waiting for the disability to kick in.

So, that leaves 1 day a week for good bedrest. . .which is Tuesdays. I LOVE Tuesdays!!!

Yes, I'm completely off work for the duration. I'll ring you for lunch soon Kara.

bellemama

Postby bellemama » Tue Apr 08, 2008 04:25 pm

I had that problem, too. I swear at least one of the nurses had a hearing problem... I used to get higher readings in L&D triage than at the drs. office, too.

Can you bring your machine in and take it at the same time?

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Tue Apr 08, 2008 03:59 pm

There is no law against you checking your BP at home. Don't let them scold you. :-) A loose cuff can sometimes indicate that the cuff is too large for your arm...which might then give falsely low readings. From what I've read, a cuff that is so loose it slides down your arm, might mean the cuff is too large. There are actual arm measurement ranges that go with particular cuff sizes. Does your Omron machine have directions with specific arm measurements for the cuff size that comes with it? You can also look at the inside of the cuff at the doc's office to see if their is a size written on it, or measurement ranges that are appropriate for the particular cuff. Take your arm measurement at home so you know what it is. Look up online the particular manufacturer of the cuff and what the arm measurement ranges are for each cuff size (S, M, L, etc). Those readings aren't too bad for a chronic. Is that your bedrest reading?

BTW, how is bedrest going? Are you off work completely now?

Does that make sense?

staceynw

BP high at home vs. low in clinic - still an issue

Postby staceynw » Tue Apr 08, 2008 03:50 pm

Well, I'm going against doctor's orders and still testing my BP at home with my home machine. I still get higher readings than what they get in clinic. At home I'm getting 140-ish/96-ish. In clinic they are getting 130-ish/80-ish. They are convinced my machine is wrong, and I'm convinced they aren't taking it right manually. On Monday I went for NST and their cuff was so loose I could have shaken it off my arm if had tried. Next time I'm going to say something!! The one time I got a higher reading in the clinic was when the nurse manager took it, and the cuff was quite a bit tighter than how the other nurses were applying it. However, in reading on the net, I thought a loose cuff was supposed to give higher than normal readings???? Any opinions on that.

I also did a search of older threads here on the Omron machine, and there were mixed feelings about thier accuracy. . . so I'm just confused. . . is it my machine or is it them??

Sucky part is. . . They'll scold me if I complain about blood pressure and tell them I'm checking it at home.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”