Seriously annoyed with resident!!! - UPDATED AGAIN

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
staceynw

Re : Seriously annoyed with resident!!! - UPDATED AGAIN

Postby staceynw » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:01 am

I should have clarified. . . the resdident IS at my high risk Perinatology Clinic!!!!! AND, I had also had her as a resident when I was pre-eclamptic in my previous pregnancy, so she knows my history. That's what makes her statement SOOOO obsurd!!! Furthermore, I'm a "black charted" patient because of my risk, which means I'm only supposed to see perinatologist, and I seriously doubt the information was given to a perinatologist that I was even there.

Seriously. . .there is NO WAY they could have gotten an accurate pressure manually with the way I was feeling . . . Between my machine and thier manual, there was a 38 point different systolic, and a 33 point difference diastolic. . . . we aren't talking a small difference here.

jana m

Postby jana m » Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:15 am

don't test at home anymore???? are you kidding me???? obviously not someone who has seen a lot of PE.

I'm glad you are going to the peri to get checked. I'm sure they will take your concerns seriously.

canserb3

Postby canserb3 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 09:56 am

I had the same problem on Wednesday. I took my pressure at home, it was 148/93 (I'm chronic so my readings are generally higher). Went to work and then to an afternoon appointment. Nurse indicated that I was 130/90. My BP meds weren't changed as I expected they might be (but that is a different rant!). Went to another appointment (I like to book in groups!) and their machine read me at 140/100. I did bring my machine once to be calibrated at the OB's office. She took it with one cuff and it was much lower. Used a larger cuff and she got a similar reading I received. I understand your frustration.

staceynw

Seriously annoyed with resident!!! - UPDATED AGAIN

Postby staceynw » Fri Mar 28, 2008 09:00 am

I guess the subject line says it all. I'm not even supposed to see residents, I'm supposed to see only perinatologists, so that in itself annoys me.

My blood pressure has been high lately (but also labile). Yesterday I got a home reading (on a new automatic machine purchased from a home health supply company) of 150/99. So, I got called into the clinic for a check there. It took my machine in with me. The nurse took it manually and got 140/74. Right after, we took it with my machine and got 178/107. Of course my machine is wrong, according to them. The resident's solution . . . . "just don't test at home anymore." Talk about sending your blood pressure through the roof. I was MAD!!!

Worst part of it. . . I remember in my last pregnancy what those high blood pressure headaches felt like. . . And I had one yesterday. Just that dull whole head throb.

So, to make a long story shorter . . . I stopped at my family practice clinic on the way home, where they have an automatic machine. We compared their automatic machine with mine, and we got just about the same reading with both . . .only 1 point difference Systolic and 3 points Diastolic.

So, I'm going back to the perinatologist's office today at lunch to have it rechecked by someone else and I'm going to raise a stink!

I went over lunch, and again, they got a lower (normal) reading with their manual cuff. This time I was seen by the nurse manager, and she called the perinatologist who ordered labs for first thing Monday morning, a 24-hour urine to collect Sunday, and then she will see me after the labs are back Monday morning.

Although, the nurse manager did say that even if I am trending toward pre-eclampsia or am at the beginning stages of pre-eclampsia that they won't do anything anyway but let me "simmer."

Monday 3/31/07
I went in for my labs and blood pressure check. My blood pressure was elevated in the office 137/96, though not terribly so. They still don't want me taking my blood pressure at home. . . Crazy, but they don't. My 24H urine was good. No change, so they don't consider me preeclamptic. However, the baby's heart rate was just over 200 with the doppler, so they hooked me up to a fetal monitor for a while. She finally settled down to the 150's, but I don't know what brought it on. So, they've finally decided it's time for some bedrest. . . . So from now on, I'll be checking in from home with my pokey 26 kb/sec dialup modem. . . Yippie!!!

Return to “Ask the Experienced”