Very frustrated....and long.....UPDATE at bottom!

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
wdersley

Re : Very frustrated....and long.....UPDATE at bottom!

Postby wdersley » Tue Apr 15, 2008 02:10 am

My doctors with #2 handles my pressures very differently than #1 because they were convinced I was a chronic girl. After my firstborn my BP had returned to 140/70 although it took 8 months on meds after delivery. When I went to be booked in for #2 my BP was 150/94 which had me labeled as a chronic hypertensive straight away although my BP never went above 140/80 until 24 weeks. Due to the initial diagnosis though they chose not to treat my BP at all as they considered it too labile. Now four years later I have had BPs of 134/70 until 14 weeks and has been consistently 120/60 for the past 8 weeks. Now I am getting symptoms and BP is beginning to rise. How do they diagnose chronic hypertension when the docs only realy concentrate on our BP when we are pregnant? As far as damaging the placenta my first pregnancy showed the placenta had disintegrated at about 31 weeks and my daughter had to be induced at 37 weeks due to distress, she was a IUGR baby. My son however showed no such deterioration however and was actually allowed to continue in utero until 41+ weeks! My pressures were much higher for longer with him as my BP was controlled with number # at lower more nomal levels. A research doctor explained to me that lowering my BP with meds if I did have PE could actually cause the placental damage as the placenta does not get the blood supply it needs and that the raised BP was there for good reason. He was using this as an explanation of the lack of treatment of #2 which I was complaining about at the time. Not sure who was telling the truth or what the facts are. All I know is that my docs here will definitely treat the BP and I will probably be filling that prescription by the end of my next appointment. Sorry this is so long winded but I find it so confusing may be one day all these different views will get a hearing and it will help the medic sort all this stuff out and get some clear information out to the pregnant ladies of the future.

canserb3

Postby canserb3 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:52 am

Saw the peri this morning and she upped my dose of Procardia. If I don't see results in 3-4 days, I am to add labetol (already given the prescription). The peri practice also is who is doing my U/S so they will check my logs each time I go for a U/S as well. I am feeling much more confident of my care now. Wish me luck!

canserb3

Postby canserb3 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 04:38 pm

Finally!!!!!

I know this sounds weird but I am very excited that I had high BP readings at the OB's when I dropped off my 24 hour. It kinda spurred them into action. Proved that my readings at home were realistic numbers. I now have an appointment with the peri tomorrow to adjust my meds.

I was sent home from the office, she didn't want me to work with my pressure as high as it was. I finally feel like I am being properly listened to. The one doctor that I have seen the past few times was not taking things seriously I think. I am hoping that I can avoid seeing him anymore.

I will let everyone know what happens at the peri appt!

canserb3

Postby canserb3 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 07:55 pm

I actually have brought my machine in a few weeks ago and got similar readings. Sometimes it just depends on the nurse too.

sonja
Forum Moderator

Postby sonja » Fri Apr 04, 2008 07:32 pm

Bring your monitor to your next appointment, then you can see how similar the reading are.

I am glad that you called in about your readings. The best thing to do when things feel off is to be seen. Having blood work done will let you know how you are doing for the time being.

Best of luck on Sunday - no fun, but it has to be done.

Take care.

canserb3

Postby canserb3 » Fri Apr 04, 2008 07:07 pm

Hi....
I've been running high readings (even higher than what I listed earlier). I of course didn't know the peri that was there for the U/S on Monday and didn't feel comfortable bringing up the BPs.

The next day I spiked. When I got a reading of 168/107 last night my husband told me I was calling the office in the morning. I didn't argue [:D]. They had me go to L&D. Of course they had me lying down and most of the pressures were 130s/70s (which I never have!!!!!) They did some blood work and sent me home after a few hours. Took my BP when I got home.....155/96. So of course I began to think it was my monitor. Took a nap. When my husband got home I had him bring me my monitor. Took my reading and it was 135/78.

They had me stop by the office for a 24 hour container (which I will be doing on Sunday). We'll see what happens.

4mybabies

Postby 4mybabies » Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:38 pm

I am in my 3rd pregnancy, diagnosed with chronic htn after my second. My OB has told me that if I get pressures at or above 140/90 to call her office. She did say that if it is an "isolated" spike, not to worry so much; however, I believe that if they were like those you listed, I would be told to come in and she would probably increase my meds. At least this is what she has told me would happen.

Best of luck, keep us posted.

canserb3

Postby canserb3 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 03:29 pm

I think I am so new to all of this as I am only chronic because I never had BP issues before this pregnancy but it happened by week 6 or 8. As well this is my first baby (2nd pregnancy - first ended very early). I see so many people that have no issues (my SIL who is having the picture perfect pregnancy) and I have dealt with (in this order) reoccurence of colitis symptoms, HBP, sciatica, respirtory flu, blood (moderate previa with 4 days bedrest (I know that isn't a lot of bed rest but it is on top of everything else). I am scared to question what else could go wrong!!!!

staceynw

Postby staceynw » Fri Mar 28, 2008 03:18 pm

I hear ya sista!! I see no problem in bringing your pressures to your appointment. Squeeky wheel gets the grease.

I'm also having blood pressure issues and I'm one of the "chronic" girls. It's so funny how doctors all have different opinions. Because my chronic hypertension was controlled going into this pregnancy and through the first two trimesters, one of the high risk Peri's told me that there is cause for concern once it is over 140/80. . . so I've been monitoring like a hawk. According to my machine, my pressures are well into the 150's over upper 90's, and even some diastolics in the 100's. In my previous pregnancy, they let me rot in a hosptial bed for four weeks with pressures like that because I certainly couldn't go on bedrest at home because it was too dangerous. . . Now with this pregnancy. . . it's like no big deal to them that my pressures are getting high. It frustrates me!

mom29

Postby mom29 » Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:16 am

Like Sonja said, we are going to get different answers from our drs. and that is very important to remember. I am chronic and my MFM told me to expect my bp to start going up in the 140/90's. It has and because he forewarned me I am not too worried about it (I'm further along than you though). I have spiked into the 150/100's, but it always comes back down. I wouldn't hesitate at all to take the log and ask your peri. his opinion. I'm sure he will be able to reassure you. I think worrying is very common, I've made it to 37+ weeks and I still have that "waiting for the other shoe to drop feeling" and won't rest easy until this baby is out and I am feeling well.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”