new menber needing advice...

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
canserb3

Re : new menber needing advice...

Postby canserb3 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 02:18 pm

My sister in law's sister is a doctor and had my sister in law get a prescription for folic acid even before they started trying since birth control isn't an exact science. That way if she ever got pregnant she was ahead of the game. For that reason I assume it can't hurt you!

emersons mom

Postby emersons mom » Thu Feb 28, 2008 01:01 pm

I heard some research commented on tv that 6 months prior to conception for folic acid.....but that was without the data to support why...i was surprised it was so long in advance!

shellbell

Postby shellbell » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:22 am

Thanks everyone for your thought's! Sorry about the mix up before Fiona, your opinion's give me an Idea of where I should go from here.Also can you tell me how long before conceiving is it recommended to take folic acid.Thanks again :)

heather j
Forum Moderator

Postby heather j » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:19 am

They'll ask for a rundown of any meds you are on so that they can anticipate anything skewed prior to drawing labs. I don't think it would be problematic, either.

blythe

Postby blythe » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:19 am

Hello! Yes, contemplating a second pregnancy after PE is not easy! Since I'm about a year away from trying for #3, I'm starting to think about how I can reduce my risk, too. I haven't really done my literature searches on it yet, though [;)]. Definitely keep in mind that you have a very good chance of *not* getting sick again - your doctor should be able to help you calculate your personal risk level. The main recommendation I keep seeing around here is to find a doctor who specializes in high-risk pregnancies, and be tested for underlying disorders that may contribute to a higher risk of recurrence. Hopefully, someone else who has done their lit searches more recently can suggest any other steps to reduce the recurrence risk...

fiona
Forum Moderator

Postby fiona » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:59 am

Michelle, if you mean folic acid, I can't see what problem there would be taking it - although if you're not currently ttc, there's probably no point, either.

kara
Forum Moderator

Postby kara » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:25 am

Michelle, I would tend to say you should go for your blood work only taking medications you normally take. If that includes a multi-vitamin that's fine, but I wouldn't take anything extra. But ask your doctor about taking extra folic acid and prenatals before you decide to conceive. Good luck!

shellbell

new menber needing advice...

Postby shellbell » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:22 am

Hi I'm a fairly new member and just love this web site I think its a great support for woman like us...

I need advice if I should start taking foliate tablets before I see my OB for preconception?.or am I better off being oh natural for when my Bloods are taken? we are thinking of trying for NO 2# but we are very worried, I guess that's normal. Any advice on if I should take foliate or not and any other advice on how I can prepare we would be truly greatful [:)][?]

Return to “Ask the Experienced”