Questions for those on Lovenox during pregnancy

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
lisainnj

Re : Questions for those on Lovenox during pregnancy

Postby lisainnj » Fri Sep 25, 637998 8:12 am

Lovenox has a half-life 2 to 4 times longer than heparin, and I would guess that might be a concern as you near delivery - to have the effects on bleeding wear off quicker - I don't know about the preservative or anesthesia interactions.

jana m

Postby jana m » Wed Sep 23, 637998 11:28 pm

Michelle,
I was on Heparin through my whole pregnancy and it presented no problems for me (and I had a c-section). I had no idea about the preservative you mentioned, so I guess ignorance is bliss!

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Mon Sep 14, 637998 12:50 am

Me too Caryn...I cannot believe that it is only 2 weeks away and I am FULL TERM in 3 mnore days!

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Wed Sep 02, 637998 9:55 am

I can't believe you're so close, Michelle!

mom2ella

Postby mom2ella » Wed Sep 02, 637998 4:33 am

Hey Michelle. I haven't had this experience yet but my MFM said that when I do get pg again, I will be on Heparin. When I asked why not Lovenox, she said because if you're on Lovenox, they have to change it closer to delivery anyway. She didn't go into much detail because it wasn't really an issue for me but I have heard about having to switch. I also heard that Lovenox is more expensive than Heparin??? I'm sure someone will be along with more detail. Let us know what happens though...I'm curious!! Good luck!

mama2twins

Questions for those on Lovenox during pregnancy

Postby mama2twins » Tue Sep 01, 637998 3:32 pm

Did you switch to Heparin towards the end?
At how many weeks?
Did you have a c-section?
Was there any concern regarding the preservative Benzyl Alcohol in the Heparin being used during pregnancy?

I am currently 36w 3d, on Lovenox and baby aspirin with a scheduled c-section at 38w 4d. My peri suggested a switch to Heparin to avoid having to go under general anesthesia if I went into labor earlier than the scheduled date, my OB has the opposite opinion and thinks I should stay on the Lovenox. Just looking for what others did and opinions.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”