work/disability

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
heather100

Re : work/disability

Postby heather100 » Sun Sep 13, 637998 1:51 am

Ditto all above. I had no issues when the doc put me on bedrest. I filled out some paperwork and my HR put me on short term disability.

mistym03

Postby mistym03 » Sat Sep 12, 637998 9:55 am

the only problem I had was communication between the doctors office and hr. Hr wanted things written a certain way and the office didnt want to write it that way blah blah but eventually (after calling on the phone and crying about being stressed and frustrated about the whole thing) they filled it out how my hr wanted it and all is well. You shouldnt have any problems getting it though if your doctor orders no work then that is all they need really

mom29

Postby mom29 » Fri Sep 11, 637998 11:45 am

You are probably full-time, but when I was a part-timer my job would only be held for six weeks. Fortunately I was not told I couldn't work. When I started dilating during my twin pregnancy, my OB said he could get me off work, but I declined knowing I wouldn't have a job to go back to if I was off for a very long time. I worked post-partum so I was safe at work. I didn't have pre-e during that pregnancy though.

With my first pregnancy when I had severe pre-eclampsia (and delivered early) my OB asked me to have my bp checked daily by employee health services. I did not work postpartum at that time and was clueless as to what my bp should be. The dr. didn't give me any guidelines either. My bp was way up,I remember the diastolic was 99-100 and the nurse would ask how I felt. Since I didn't know how a normal pregnancy should feel I'd say "okay". The nurse would send me to work without any qualms. My OB wasn't happy when I told him what my bp's were running before I started my shift though. Don't be too trusting of employee health services. I worked in a hospital where you'd think they would have a clue. Nope...

preg29

Postby preg29 » Tue Sep 01, 637998 6:45 pm

Thanks everyone. I know my case is not as severe as others, but it is hard not to panic when everything happens at once. I pay for disability insurance through my company so no problem with having it and the correct time frames. I just need to relax:) Thank you again everyone...this board is great! I do not have PE yet but wanted to know all I could since the doctors say I have such a high chance of developing it.

onesock

Postby onesock » Tue Sep 01, 637998 6:25 pm

If the doctor orders you to no work, they cannot legally have you there working. I don't know much about disability, as no one ever mentioned it to me when I needed it, but every company should have FMLA (family medical leave act) and they have to hold your position for 12 weeks (I believe) shall a medical need arise. It is not paid, although you can use vacation or PTO time, but it is reassurance that you will have a job (maybe not the SAME job) when you are able to return to work. Some companies are great about short term disability, mine (a hospital of all places) was not. Good luck :)

staceynw

Postby staceynw » Tue Sep 01, 637998 6:10 pm

I didn't have any problems with approval of short-term disability. I was off work from 25 weeks to 30 weeks when I delivered, and two months afterward from having a C-Section, and I received 3 months worth of payments. If a doctor says you can't work, the you are "disabled" and it shouldn't be a problem. Good luck

aundapenner

Postby aundapenner » Tue Sep 01, 637998 5:42 pm

I was on disability from 28 weeks until delivery, then I got the full 12 weeks. We had UNUM and the case worker there was amazing!!! They called me and spoke with me directly to find out how I was feeling.

I wouldn't worry - especially if it's based on an offhand comment. Take what the insurance company says. And if they deny, ask your doctor's office to call them.

Hlpe that helps ...

mama2twins

Postby mama2twins » Tue Sep 01, 637998 5:25 pm

I'm sure that it depends on the company, but I did not have any problem getting approved for short term disability from my employer or from my short term disability insurance plan when I was taken out of work by my OB. As long as the documentation from the doctor is complete and thorough, I cannot imagine you having a problem since your issues during the pregnancy are valid reasons to NOT work.

julie f

Postby julie f » Tue Sep 01, 637998 5:20 pm

I'm sure someone will be on soon that has been through but just wanted to offer my thoughts as someone who used to work in HR. If the doctor says no work, then I would be really surprised if the disability was not approved. Do you have someone in your HR dept that you can discuss this with?

preg29

work/disability

Postby preg29 » Tue Sep 01, 637998 1:16 pm

Did anyone work when they were diagnosed with PE/other problems? Did you have difficulty getting approved for disability. I tend to worry a lot, but now with so many complications arising (diastolic notching/hypertension (severe)/GD) I am really panicking about everything. My newest panic is that my disability claim will be denied (thnaks to an off-handed omment by someone) and I will have to return to work even though the doctor says no working. Any experiences to share?

Return to “Ask the Experienced”