Discharged from hospital

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
cindync

Re : Discharged from hospital

Postby cindync » Fri Jun 05, 637992 2:22 am

I was discharged day 6 after delivery. My bp was still in the 170's/100's, which wad down a bit than before delivery, nearly double what I am normally. I had excrutiaing headaches, and they did want to keep me longer, but I really wanted to get home, as we had two other kids at home (the baby ended up staying nearly 6 weeks). I went home on aldomet as well, but was done with it after the first month.

Did anyone need to have catheters to be drained? They drained 15 lbs of fluid out of me overnight.

onesock

Postby onesock » Thu Jun 04, 637992 11:22 pm

I think that the problem here is that "the answer" to pre-e is delivery. The assumption that the baby has been delivered and the pre-e threat is gone is what leads these ob's to discharge/no meds so hastily. Glad we all know about post partum pe...at least we can help ourselves if needed :)

jenanderson

Postby jenanderson » Thu Jun 04, 637992 9:45 pm

I also was sent home 3 days PP after a very traumatic section and was told to be seen in 6 weeks. I find it unbelievable that they don't at the very least have you come in for a BP check. I was never even advised to watch for further symptoms afterwards. How scary that I wasn't even aware that the chance existed for my condition to worsen. Fortunately I was back 3 days later with a raging infection so they caught my rise in BP's at that visit. To be honest I don't think they even checked my pressures before discharge. SCARY! So glad this time I atleast know what to look for on my own. Ridiculous that this is even an issue if you ask me.

adgirl

Postby adgirl » Thu Jun 04, 637992 12:28 pm

Me too -- 3 days post partum I was sent home with pressure of 145/90 - they said I must be nervous about taking baby home. (I was 160/100 throughout delivery!) By day 6, it was up to 202/115 and I was at the ER with IV medication for 3 hours to bring it down. It took a few days after that to keep it regulated and it was SO scary! Scary enough that it has taken me 3 years to decide to try again...

celticepona

Postby celticepona » Thu Jun 04, 637992 10:55 am

I am noticing a scary trend here. I also was discharged 3 days post partum with soaring bps and no meds. I suffered for two to three weeks post partum with headaches and sky hi bps until my PCP finally took over and putme on altace. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM HERE!!!

onesock

Postby onesock » Sun May 24, 637992 9:30 pm

HaHa...sore spot here too...My peri discharged me 3 days pp with a prescription for procardia xl 30mgs to take once daily "only if I thought that my bp was going up and needed them" and a regular follow up with my ob at 6wks...I can laugh now, but what kind of dosing instructions are those????

dawn2000k

Postby dawn2000k » Sun May 24, 637992 7:10 pm

Wow! I guess I am not alone after all!! Bookworm...I hear you!! Sore spot here too!! My beautiful baby is now 7 mo. old, but I still finding myself asking the questions, why? What could I have done differently? What I went through...* is an understatement!! I wasn't even told of what to look for or how long to look for it when I was discharged. I also received conflicting stories every time they made their rounds. I was supposedly in one of the best hospitals in the country - a medical teaching facility!! Totally in the dark until I suffered a horrible relapse and was rushed to a hospital 1 hr. away from my baby because it was closer to home. (Went home to pack a bag quickly - he ended up in one hospital with me in another).

mom29

Postby mom29 » Sun May 24, 637992 10:34 am

I was discharged 24 hours after delivery on meds., with my bp going up, and instructions to be seen in six weeks. The nurse thought the dr. might cancel the discharge, but he commented that I was an older mom. I was readmitted six days later thru the ER and stayed four days until my bp was getting better. This time I was told to be seen for a follow-up visit in two weeks and the secretary argued with me because she thought I didn't know what I was talking about.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Sun May 24, 637992 9:43 am

I was discharged 4 days postpartum to the nesting rooms at the NICU, on a heavy-duty dose of meds and with warnings about what to watch for and with a followup appointment two weeks later.

They told me they wouldn't have discharged me, because I wasn't really diuresing yet and was still at pretty high risk, if they hadn't been sure that a) I knew what to watch for, and b) I was basically just going to a different floor of the hospital, which I didn't leave for another three days, and so there were still nurses keeping an eye on me.

But my hospital and OB were completely up to speed -- to my great luck, considering that I just picked the better NICU of the two closest hospitals and transferred care to an OB sight unseen -- and I hardly ever hear anyone else reporting this scenario.

bookworm

Postby bookworm » Sun May 24, 637992 7:53 am

YES, this has happened to me too! I ended up in the ER with sky high pressures a mere 22 hr after being discharged. Before discharge, I noted my bp's trending upwards just like they did with my first baby, but could not get the nurses or even my normally very good OB to listen (I strongly suspect that the nurses made sure my OB was not aware of the full extent of my concern, even though they claimed to have called her).

There are few things as fun as spending the night in the ER, 4 days postpartum with a csection, killer headache, blurred vision, struggling to breastfeed a newborn while lying on a gurney. There were a few bright spots in the situation, though: 1. I avoided being readmitted; 2. I REALLY got my OB's attention; and 3. I managed to talk the ER doc out of doing a pelvic exam on me - uh HELLO!! The baby didn't come out that way! Nothing to see here!

Sorry to rant - sore spot here too! There is an appalling lack of understanding of postpartum PE.

Return to “Ask the Experienced”