just diagnosed w/pe..update..need DR advice

This section is for discussions with other women who have probably been through the same signs/symptoms that you may be experiencing. Please note, we cannot offer medical advice and encourage members to discuss their concerns with their doctors. New members, come on in and introduce yourself!
kara
Forum Moderator

Re : just diagnosed w/pe..update..need DR advice

Postby kara » Tue Aug 21, 2007 02:07 pm

Everyone is a little different. Mine was a burning/heartburn type pain underneath my sternum that radiated back between my shoulder blades. It wasn't really right sided, but very central...and really breathtaking pain. I think the rule is, if it doesn't go away with tylenol, you should put in a call about it. :-) Glad you're seeing a new doc. :-)

arbarton

Postby arbarton » Tue Aug 21, 2007 01:41 pm

I switched OBs this morning....hopefully I will have better luck this time[:)] I told the nurse what my situation was but she still said they couldn't see me until Friday. Oh well. Im going to keep logging my BP and kick counts. If anything changes I will go to L&D....

One quick question about URQ pain.....Is it a sharp shooting pain or does it mimic a dull backache?? Just want to know what to look for. I have alot of pain in my hips if I am on my feet too much, but I am having a dull pain about halfway up my spine. Any advice??

heather100

Postby heather100 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 09:28 pm

I'm sorry they were such a pain on the 24 hour urine. I mean, really, what harm can it cause doing it? None. But it can if not done. Amazing. I hope they start taking you seriously. Are you in a group practice? I know some of my OB's in my last practice took pre-e VERY seriously and then some didn't. Maybe you could see a different OB in that practice? Good luck and let us know the results of the 24 hour urine.

arbarton

Postby arbarton » Mon Aug 20, 2007 07:58 pm

No, this is a different OB that with DS. But, I had PIH with him and she didn't even put me on meds. I went to the L&D at 37 weeks with a BP of 178/120. They kept me in bed until it went down then sent me home. I was also swollen horribly - couldnt lace my shoes at all. At all my doctor appts my BP was in the 150/100 range but she wasn't worried about it. I never had protein in my urine though. I carried my son until 42 weeks. Something tells me that this pregnancy wont go that long......

rachelc

Postby rachelc » Mon Aug 20, 2007 07:44 pm

I'm glad that you are having the 24 hour urine test done. I would also push for blood work. If you ever feel like you need immediate attention, please go into L&D. I'm not sure why your doctor doesn't seem to be showing the same amount of concern as you. Is this the same OB that you had with your first? Sometimes, I think that if you have a different doctor they are not used to your history.

caryn
Forum Moderator

Postby caryn » Mon Aug 20, 2007 03:59 pm

Allison, the awful thing about this disease is that it mimics regular pregnancy symptoms. Personally, I think they get used to dismissing one or two of the symptoms at a time, and they hear all of them all of the time, and so they don't always worry when someone calls in with all of them together, too early.

And really, they should worry -- it's just that they've been lucky so far and haven't ever had anyone who was really sick.

IIRC our Experts do say that *all* women with bp that high earlier than 36 weeks of pregnancy should be seen by a MFM or a perinatologist -- so no, you're not overreacting.

arbarton

Postby arbarton » Mon Aug 20, 2007 03:41 pm

Well, after 2 hours on my left side BP reading was 140/81 pulse at 99. I called the nurse back, gave her the reading and requested 24hr urine test. She paged my doc then called my back. While I was waiting for her call, I got up to get some water and my heart felt like it was racing....took my BP again....it was 157/83 pulse 121. When she called back she told me that the doc said for me to continue to rest and IF I WANTED TO HAVE THE 24 HR TEST, I COULD BUT IT PROBABLY WASN'T NESCESSARY. Then she said that if i start having other symptoms of pre-e to come up there. I have already told my doc about the blurry vision, seeing spots, occasional dizziness. I reminded the nurse that I have already had those symptoms and she said that my doc may put me on strict bedrest but she didn't know. I also told her that after talking to her the first time my BP shot back up and she said again, that the doc MAY put me on bedrest but she didn't know. SO, I guess they are planning on having me wait till my next appt (1 week from today) to do anything else. I am going to go pick up the jug here in a few minutes. I guess I will wait and see what the results are. Is it just me.....or does the doc and her nurse seem totally unconcerned???

arbarton

Postby arbarton » Mon Aug 20, 2007 02:38 pm

ok....i will ask for the jug!!!! [:)] you guys have been great....thanks for all the advice.....

rachel a

Postby rachel a » Mon Aug 20, 2007 02:31 pm

as are we, as are we.

Be sure when you make the request to have your urine checked that you specifically request the 24hr urine. Otherwise, they may dip your urine and call that suffice. Which, the dips are notoriously inaccurate, and at this point you would make us all feel better with a big ol' jug!

and I sent you another email

arbarton

Postby arbarton » Mon Aug 20, 2007 02:18 pm

When I call them back to report the BP reading in a little while I am going to ask if I can come in and get my urine checked, have blood taken for PE labs, and possibly a non stress test. If I have any problems with them doing that for me then I will start looking for another doctor. I am just worried that I could progress really fast and end up in a scary situation....

Return to “Ask the Experienced”